Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

CAM ADVICE NEEDED: Dat. 260Z w/ L98 SBC & LSx Firing Order Hyd. Roller Cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAM ADVICE NEEDED: Dat. 260Z w/ L98 SBC & LSx Firing Order Hyd. Roller Cam

The L98 block is an OEM roller... lifter bores have two flattened sides. I want the 18726543 firing order. This will decrease crankshaft harmonics but, more importantly, I really like the way the newer firing order sounds through an X-pipe. G-r-r-r... I guess my only option is custom grind cam... pricey!!

I need to be sure I have one made that will work properly with dual carbs. I'd rather not replace the current Edelbrock dual 500 CFM vac. carbs but it's an option if truly necessary for tunability. Please... no Edel-bashing. I'll definitely keep the RPM Airgap dual quad intake. NO... I don't want to convert to EFI... thanks for thinking of it though.

Current CR is ~10.5:1 and I'll be spraying 2-stage/progressive nitrous up to 100HP. Please no spiteful nitrous remarks... I know how to protect the engine... every failsafe imaginable. Current heads are Edel Performer RPM w/ mild port work. Plans are to replace the latter with AFR 210's. Rockers are full roller. Car weight is ~2000 dry/empty... yeah, it's a B-A-A-A-D Z!! Trans will be 200R4 with ~2800 stall. Diff ratio is 3.15:1. Rear tire height will be 28-30 inches. I'll be running street tires with plenty of rubber where it counts. I'm shooting for a nice B-R-O-A-D torque curve in the 2000-6500 RPM range.

EDIT: BTW, I have two other diff ratios available (3.54 and 3.70). I definitely don't want to go lower than 3.70. Oh... and it's currently a CLSD but am changing to helical as soon as $$$ allows.

This an often driven street car that is a Vette/Viper/Cobra killer. I won't say it's a Z28/Trans Am killer cuz you'd all kick me in the butt if I said that. So... I'm not saying that. But it's true.

So... any suggestions regarding a custom grind cam? I don't want to go too radical... just something to make ~400HP N/A and will work well with or without nitrous. How about lifters? I think the LS7 lifters will fit this block.

Last edited by Mike1234; 10-30-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:42 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a 5/7 swap camshaft but i dont know about OE roller cam that way.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Launching!

You mean 4/7 swap? I want a 4/7 + 3/2 swap cam... the LSx (and Ford) firing order.

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Old 10-31-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

You will not be able put a LSx cam into your L98 SBC. The cam journal diameter is .300" larger in diameter and is 4 inches shorter in overall length. You can still buy the 4-7-3-2 firing order swap in a retro fit hyd roller cam (last time that I checked there wasn't a OEM hyd roller cam core available). You will need to buy a 57-87 style timing chain for it, a thrust button, and a cam lock plate. You will also probably need to clearance grind the outer "ears" of the OEM thrust plate mounting pad, so that it doesn't hit the inner part of your cam sprocket. This type of cam is probably going to set you back atleast $450 depending on your sources.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Wouldn't a custom ground cam be about the same price? If so, what company would you recommend? If not, do you know where I can find the cam you mentioned?

Originally Posted by 1997bird
You will not be able put a LSx cam into your L98 SBC. The cam journal diameter is .300" larger in diameter and is 4 inches shorter in overall length. You can still buy the 4-7-3-2 firing order swap in a retro fit hyd roller cam (last time that I checked there wasn't a OEM hyd roller cam core available). You will need to buy a 57-87 style timing chain for it, a thrust button, and a cam lock plate. You will also probably need to clearance grind the outer "ears" of the OEM thrust plate mounting pad, so that it doesn't hit the inner part of your cam sprocket. This type of cam is probably going to set you back atleast $450 depending on your sources.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I buy my cams from Erson Cams in Carson City, Neveda. They carry the cam cores on the shelf 98% of the time (Steve Tanzie grinds alot of the "LSx" firing order cams). Their phone number is 775-882-1622, Steve's extention # is 4. I strongly suggest you talk to Steve as he is the head cam guru there, if you cannot get him and need to talk to someone right away Eric Bolander is my second choice. These guy's grind cams for almost every NHRA Top Fuel Dragster, Funny Car, & Prostock team's racing today. I'm sure that Cam Motion and Crane will also have cores ready to grind as well. I'm not sure if any of the other cam companies have them on the shelf ready to grind, as I have had no need to look else where.

As for the pricing of one of these cams you will have to just call and get a quote. I am set up as a wholeseller with PBM Performance Products/Engine Performance Wharehouse (the parent company that owns them) and get wharehouse pricing from them. The pricing for the LSx firing order versus a standard firing order cam is 47% higher my cost.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:07 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Yea, sorry. I dont see whay using just the 4/7 swap wouldnt make you happy? They work verry well, but are usually solid roller from every one i have seen.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Launching!

Thanks everyone!! I'll call Erson Monday.

Quick Reply: CAM ADVICE NEEDED: Dat. 260Z w/ L98 SBC & LSx Firing Order Hyd. Roller Cam