Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

BBC, goal: 500+hp n/a your advice wanted

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008 | 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MrOverkill
If you plan on dropping $800-1000 on a cam kit then that cam will work fine, but you need to get a set of $400+ retrofit hyd roller lifters to use that camshaft. Just go with a hyd flat tappet cam like the 292 Magnum it makes GREAT power and will sound MEAN at idle. It gives a very nice and broad torque curve and will pull VERY HARD until 6500rpm with the right heads, dont over think it and stick with a proven combo the works and that cam flat works.

Porting and milling the heads will help, but you just cant make huge power with oval closed chambers to be honest. I'd say 500-550hp is really pushing it with low compression, remeber you cant flat mill a ton off of them but you can raise the comp a little, angle milling is an option but make sure the shop knows whatr their doing before the cut your heads. You can also run a steel shim type head gasket to get another .25 point or so and every bit is going to help in you quest for power with you mill. You can make a TON of torque with ovals and they are very good for the street, just dont expect too much from them as far as high RPM power. They get asthmatic above 6000 RPM and just cant move the air you need to rev it up..... My .36 cents hope it helps

BTW A 250 hit of juice is NOTHING for even a stock big block when tuned properly, dont listen to those who dont know!
Your car sounds awesome!

Yeah.. im thinking to do the heads and cam first so it makes decent power n/a then spray a 150 shot or so.

ill check out the cam you mentioned for sure! thanks

-Mike
Old 11-27-2008 | 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

So do you guys think i should opt for new heads opposed to getting mine ported?
Old 11-27-2008 | 10:51 PM
Launching!

You may as well, as a set of open chambers will totally kill your compression without a piston swap as well. Just keep it basic until you decide to build a new mill or tear down, freshen&upgrade.....

I'll see if I can find some pics of my car to post for ya to see!
Old 11-28-2008 | 01:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I want to build this motor to be decently beast, be able to do well on the street and on the track and then not touch the motor once it's decently set up a little.

And since I'll be content, I've thought about building a SBC piece by piece on the side so i can have a ton of fun with the car, and throw a built 350 in it i can rev to the moon and either boost or spray the **** out of it
Old 12-05-2008 | 10:38 PM
Teching In

Some heads on here but A little to big

http://www.midweststreetcars.com/smf...p?topic=3321.0
Old 12-24-2008 | 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

I still havent seen his cam specs. out of 3 pages of post. If you have flat top hyper's get some forged pistons with the right dome. then you fix the weakest link in your setup. Give us specs on cam... And then We can give you better advice. If you mill the **** out of your heads then you start having pushrod and intake issues. Why do it the retarded way when you can do it right.

Quick Reply: BBC, goal: 500+hp n/a your advice wanted