Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

LS1 head to sbc CAN BE DONE.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeSS
sbc pistons relieves are also available in other degrees besides 23i was refering to the ls valve orinetation, not the actual valve degree s
How are these piston's going to be cheaper than LS specific pistion's after you order all left hand piston's (you do know they charge extra for that, right)?
Old 01-23-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Yeeeaaa...and just how high up was that thing zinging?
I THINK 8k but could be wrong.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the only real advantage I see price wise is the heads. You can get the ls heads cheaper than you would say a 15* brodix head. Most of the heads from that are not 23* for a conventional smallblock have some crazy combustion chambers anyway. I tried to find a normal combustion chamber in a 15 or 18 degree head to do a turbocharged application and couldn't find any
Old 01-25-2009, 11:04 PM
8 Second Club

Heck i have 5 grand in crank and rods . The heads i have are 330 cfm at 650. I have had this stuff for a while i look at the ls head numbers and i have wished i would have waited a few years. i would consider this some clases wont let you run 18 degree stuff that is the least head you can even get close to ls numbers . GUys that have crank triggers ,dampers,flexplates ,crank, rods could look at this if they are old school somtimes you have to take baby steps. to get going in the right direction
Old 01-27-2009, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
If you're building a bigger inch motor, this would be an awesome route to take for a vehicle that's set up for a sbc already. Way cheaper to build an SBC bottom end than LSx, and you can get 330+cfm ls heads for dirt cheap.....that's bang for your buck! All the old accessories bolt up. Motor mounts don't change, oil pan fits, nothing changes trans wise. These blocks will eventually sell like hotcakes IMO.
very well stated, and if I may add, they also said that this was designed for class specific use. ie fir people that are restricted to run distributors. plus u get extra cool points for being different...lol
Old 02-07-2009, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
If you're building a bigger inch motor, this would be an awesome route to take for a vehicle that's set up for a sbc already. Way cheaper to build an SBC bottom end than LSx, and you can get 330+cfm ls heads for dirt cheap.....that's bang for your buck! All the old accessories bolt up. Motor mounts don't change, oil pan fits, nothing changes trans wise. These blocks will eventually sell like hotcakes IMO.

Yeah I posted this over on the 3rd Gen forum and CF and what you get is a lot of people making comments that don't really have any idea what they are talking about. I called WP and they told me within the next couple months short blocks will be available for about $4100.

Comp is working on a more standard cam as of right now they have to take a SBC core and grind it with LS lobes. The cams are expensive...some guy on the other forum said about $700 but that is unconfirmed from comp.

The big challenge that hasn't been completed revealed is the cooling on the adaptor plates on the front of the heads and how the front end accessories will bolt up. If the stock front accessories don't bolt up I would NOT consider this a suitable replacement for my L98 91 Bird. If it does....I may be considering swapping in a Victor Jr.EFI single plane on this Hybrid motor and calling it a day.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
Yeah I posted this over on the 3rd Gen forum and CF and what you get is a lot of people making comments that don't really have any idea what they are talking about. I called WP and they told me within the next couple months short blocks will be available for about $4100.
Comp is working on a more standard cam as of right now they have to take a SBC core and grind it with LS lobes. The cams are expensive...some guy on the other forum said about $700 but that is unconfirmed from comp.

The big challenge that hasn't been completed revealed is the cooling on the adaptor plates on the front of the heads and how the front end accessories will bolt up. If the stock front accessories don't bolt up I would NOT consider this a suitable replacement for my L98 91 Bird. If it does....I may be considering swapping in a Victor Jr.EFI single plane on this Hybrid motor and calling it a day.
Yeah, this engine will be so much cheaper to build with SBC parts!!! The LSx block is only $2,000 and has the provision's that you are looking for. The rest of the parts will be cheaper if you would just stay with LS engine parts. If you like it for origonality, fine I can accept that, but to say that it is cheaper to build is just stupid.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by 1997bird
Yeah, this engine will be so much cheaper to build with SBC parts!!! The LSx block is only $2,000 and has the provision's that you are looking for. The rest of the parts will be cheaper if you would just stay with LS engine parts. If you like it for origonality, fine I can accept that, but to say that it is cheaper to build is just stupid.
Like I said some people don't really know what they are talking about. Are you adding in the motormounts, subframe, and tranny? These are other things that you have to consider when doing an LSx swap into a non LSx vehicle like a 3rd Gen. You have to look at the big picture to see wha the final cost are...I have a pretty good idea about this having the cars and types of cars that I have.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
Like I said some people don't really know what they are talking about. Are you adding in the motormounts, subframe, and tranny? These are other things that you have to consider when doing an LSx swap into a non LSx vehicle like a 3rd Gen. You have to look at the big picture to see wha the final cost are...I have a pretty good idea about this having the cars and types of cars that I have.
The LSX engine block has the SBC tranny provision's already built into it ( http://www.sdpc2000.com/product/1916...owtieBare.aspx ). As for a third gen conversion, BMR has the tubular k-member in stock (part # KM008 for $500). The LSX block also has the provision's for a motor plate as well. As for the subframe, I'm not sure what your talking about there.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
the only real advantage I see price wise is the heads. You can get the ls heads cheaper than you would say a 15* brodix head. Most of the heads from that are not 23* for a conventional smallblock have some crazy combustion chambers anyway. I tried to find a normal combustion chamber in a 15 or 18 degree head to do a turbocharged application and couldn't find any
Thats why you custom order pistons to fit the heads......15/18* stuff is just as good or better then ls stuff and very cheap to come by....I dont understand to point of this block.....if you got a SBC set-up it can make all the power a Ls engine cam make so.....

Last edited by otherwhitemeat; 02-09-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts

:buttk ick:
Old 02-09-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

This arguement still going on? The estimated cost of the block seems high to me, but the advantages over a LSx block are still there. Don't have issues with the windage in a "Y" block, better/cheaper oiling system than LSx, cheaper parts, accessoeries bolt right up with the adapter plates on the heads, no crank walking issues. The camshaft is still pretty expensive, but it's not something weird or "special". It's a LSx camshaft with a fuel pump lobe/dist. gear on it. You can get a SB2 came core and be fine, not sure it will be $700 either but I'm just guessing.

Quick Reply: LS1 head to sbc CAN BE DONE.