Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

71 cutlass project..low 12s on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 71 cutlass project..low 12s on a budget

buying a 71 cutlass project car this weekend. It has a 350 rocket in it, but i want to go bigger and better but on a budget. most of my knowledge is with lt1/ls1 stuff so i am a little rusty when it comes to SBC's. my goals are:

-could drive daily (it definetely wont be my DD, i just want it to be solid)
-run low-mid 12s n/a
-handle 100shot of nitrous
-pump gas 93 or 94 octane

Ive done a little research and it looks like a 4bolt 350, cheap forged pistons, stoker kit (383), along with a decent set of heads and a nice cam should meet my goals easily. I dont really have a set budget, but i would like to keep the price as low as possible...im not made of money

what are you guys running as far as budget builds? i would like to see specs, rwhp or 1/4 mile times, and prices if possible. thanks guys, really looking forward to diggin in to this car.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:49 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

A cast 383 crank in a 350 block with some forged slugs and rods with vortec heads can get 12s all day with the right cam, but i recommend the vortec heads from Patriot, they are a 185 cc runner and they would respond better with a bigger cam. 10 to 1 compression and a com XE288HR cam would be a fun motor. Ask me how i know
Old 10-20-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find a 455 Olds and stick it in there. Don't waste your time with a SBC, to many brackets to change and the tranny also. If you are going to put a Cheby in it, put a BBC in there. But I would stick with the Olds motor. Olds didn't put Cheby motors in them until the late 70's, early 80's. Olds motor will bolt in using the same brackets and tranny. Plus anybody can make a Cheby run, takes someone special to make a Olds run.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cambirdracing
Find a 455 Olds and stick it in there. Don't waste your time with a SBC, to many brackets to change and the tranny also. If you are going to put a Cheby in it, put a BBC in there. But I would stick with the Olds motor. Olds didn't put Cheby motors in them until the late 70's, early 80's. Olds motor will bolt in using the same brackets and tranny. Plus anybody can make a Cheby run, takes someone special to make a Olds run.
it already has a 350 rocket in it, so id actually have to change the mounts to put the 455 or bbc in it. The main reasons i want to stick with a smallblock is for reliability, gas mileage (), and cost/availability of parts
Old 10-20-2009, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dre2013
it already has a 350 rocket in it, so id actually have to change the mounts to put the 455 or bbc in it. The main reasons i want to stick with a smallblock is for reliability, gas mileage (), and cost/availability of parts
I play with chevy and olds stuff.Oldsmobile motors hold up pretty good but they are heavy and unless you wanna buy aftermarket heads you are gonna need 100 shot just to get 12's.If you swap to a Small block chevy you have to swap the tranny too. NOTHING is interchangable between a 350 olds and a 350 chevy.not even the factory quadrajet will swap without some mods.you were concerned about the mounts well a sbc takes different mounts than sbo.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How about LS2/T56 swap? Now that would be fun, get good gas mileage, and be dead reliable. Or you could even get an iron block out of a truck, for probably half the price of the LS2. I'd like to do an LS swap into a 70-72 cutlass S. I actually hope to do this some day
Old 10-20-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dre2013

All of the 350 Rocket brackets and mounts will bolt up to a 455. You will only have to change them if you change brands of engines. The starter,alternator and a/c are on the wrong side of the engine with a cheby. Plus the spark plugs are easier to get to on an Olds.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

the car will definetely be receiving a new trans, and a set of aftermarket heads. not worried too much about the factory quadrajet working, as the carb/intake will be aftermarket as well.

I wish i could do an ls2/t56 swap, but that would cost WAY more than i'm looking to spend. Ive been wanting to do a built carbed sbc/ stalled auto for a long time anyways, but thanks for the idea

I wasn't aware that the mounts and brackets were diff from SBO to SBC, i appreciate the knowledge guys
Old 10-20-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i gave my younger brother my 73 cutlass i had for a while it came with a 350 in it put in a 455 it went right in the motor did sit lower in the engine bay and the front end it set lower also from the heavier motor your 350 is gonna need some work to get into 12s them cars were big and sluggish LOL but when i was 16 i bought a 76 cutlass it had a 403 from out of a olds delta 88 little head work aftermarket intake cam and carb man did that thing move i miss that car let us know what you decide to do good luck
Old 10-20-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

there should be alot of budget SBO builds on the web, edelbrock must sell a set of budget aluminum heads/intake, with a decent comp bump stick and a proper converter/gear you should be able to go high 12's NA
Old 10-20-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stumprrp
there should be alot of budget SBO builds on the web, edelbrock must sell a set of budget aluminum heads/intake, with a decent comp bump stick and a proper converter/gear you should be able to go high 12's NA
im considering building up the 350 rocket, but i think i will end up going with something similar to this build: http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ild/index.html

any input?
Old 10-20-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by baylove
i gave my younger brother my 73 cutlass i had for a while it came with a 350 in it put in a 455 it went right in the motor did sit lower in the engine bay and the front end it set lower also from the heavier motor your 350 is gonna need some work to get into 12s them cars were big and sluggish LOL but when i was 16 i bought a 76 cutlass it had a 403 from out of a olds delta 88 little head work aftermarket intake cam and carb man did that thing move i miss that car let us know what you decide to do good luck

My first car was a 73. It had a 455 from the factory in it. Bought it from the original owner. I miss that car, but not the rust. I have always been a fan of high torque big blocks. I had a 77 Firebird that came with a 400, blew it up in about a month and stuck a 455 in it. Put a good Crane Cam in it and got 26 mpg on the highway. The 2.41 gears probably helped in that department.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cambirdracing
My first car was a 73. It had a 455 from the factory in it. Bought it from the original owner. I miss that car, but not the rust. I have always been a fan of high torque big blocks. I had a 77 Firebird that came with a 400, blew it up in about a month and stuck a 455 in it. Put a good Crane Cam in it and got 26 mpg on the highway. The 2.41 gears probably helped in that department.

lol yea man its nothing like a classic car after im done with my camaro want to build a old school wit something nasty under the hood

Quick Reply: 71 cutlass project..low 12s on a budget