Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Old 10-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 421

Ive been looking at this 421 engine from white performance to put in my s10. Just wondering if anyone has bought one of their engines or know anyone that has. This seems like a pretty good buy for 6950.00. It is fully forged and uses a bowtie block, with dart pro1 heads.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Link?

-SS
Old 10-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Staging Lane

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...Q5fAccessories
Old 11-03-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to be a dick or anything, but I ordered a 396 rotating assembly from Eagle that came with King Main Bearings and my engine builder said to get those bearings out of his shop.

On that ebay ad they say, "KING MAIN AND ROD BEARINGS HP SERIES, THE BEST BEARINGS IN THE WORLD! THATS ALL WE HAVE EVER USED AT OUR SHOP."

Also they say they test run every engine but don't dyno it.

"Comp cams are not even a consideration for us." Hmm don't really agree with that.

"This engine has a one year warranty unlimited mileage." That is good though if it is true.

That guy has enough of a rep on ebay though that you're probably going to be just fine.

They don't really mention specifics on a lot of things, the guy writes pages of stuff that doesn't really matter about the engine, I would rather read about what brand head gasket, or how far in the hole is the piston, or if I get a build sheet.

1500 heads
1500 block
1500 rotating assembly
500 machine work
750 valve train, gaskets, seals, oil pump, pan, timing cover, balancer, flexplate, manifold, timing chain

I made a list to try and see a rough estimate of what it cost for them to make it, I'm guessing they make around a $750-1000 per motor.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can have a better engine made by a site sponsor im sure. Get one custom built to your spec and dont look back
Old 11-06-2010, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Building a 3.875 stroke 600 horse engine with 2 bolt mains that really does not add up!!!

When GM was selling those 2 bolt Bowtie blocks they were only rated at 375 horse. Those blocks are non priority oiling!!!

By the time you buy that block add splayed caps you can buy a Dart SHP block all machined for 1795.00

He's a good salesman thats for sure.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by noice
Not trying to be a dick or anything, but I ordered a 396 rotating assembly from Eagle that came with King Main Bearings and my engine builder said to get those bearings out of his shop.

On that ebay ad they say, "KING MAIN AND ROD BEARINGS HP SERIES, THE BEST BEARINGS IN THE WORLD! THATS ALL WE HAVE EVER USED AT OUR SHOP."

Also they say they test run every engine but don't dyno it.

"Comp cams are not even a consideration for us." Hmm don't really agree with that.

"This engine has a one year warranty unlimited mileage." That is good though if it is true.

That guy has enough of a rep on ebay though that you're probably going to be just fine.

They don't really mention specifics on a lot of things, the guy writes pages of stuff that doesn't really matter about the engine, I would rather read about what brand head gasket, or how far in the hole is the piston, or if I get a build sheet.

1500 heads
1500 block
1500 rotating assembly
500 machine work
750 valve train, gaskets, seals, oil pump, pan, timing cover, balancer, flexplate, manifold, timing chain

I made a list to try and see a rough estimate of what it cost for them to make it, I'm guessing they make around a $750-1000 per motor.
Those blocks were bought cheap from GM as they don't even offer them any more in the 2 bolt main version. The best price we ever got on them was 800.00 dollars. I am pretty sure he paid less then half of that.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS N/E
Those blocks were bought cheap from GM as they don't even offer them any more in the 2 bolt main version. The best price we ever got on them was 800.00 dollars. I am pretty sure he paid less then half of that.
Crap man, I didn't even look at the picture I looked up a price on a 4-Bolt Bowtie, which I overestimated a bit on that. Aftermarket I wouldn't buy a two bolt main block.

Are you the guy off speedtalk? You're pretty good at spotting crappy blocks.
My machinist said he saw one of those up in Southern Missouri, so I guess people are buying them.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by noice
Crap man, I didn't even look at the picture I looked up a price on a 4-Bolt Bowtie, which I overestimated a bit on that. Aftermarket I wouldn't buy a two bolt main block.

Are you the guy off speedtalk? You're pretty good at spotting crappy blocks.
My machinist said he saw one of those up in Southern Missouri, so I guess people are buying them.
Yep I'm on speetalk quite a bit, Those 2 bolt Bowtie blocks use to be very common years ago as we have sure put a lot of splayed caps on them over the years and that was the perpose of those blocks and the engine builder could use what ever cap they wanted to use.

I still have one of those chinese blocks and can't seem to give it away as it has to many issues I guess.

I guess PBM stopped selling them and now offer the World blocks only to find out World does not even machine their own blocks and they are machined by Royal Oak boring in Michigan. Thats probably why we could never send a defective block back to World because what would they do with it!!!

Carl
Old 11-20-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS N/E
I guess PBM stopped selling them and now offer the World blocks only to find out World does not even machine their own blocks and they are machined by Royal Oak boring in Michigan. Thats probably why we could never send a defective block back to World because what would they do with it!!!

Carl
Sorry for the long delay in response but I don't understand why companies do this. I live in NW Arkansas and I know of 3 machine shops that could do block work within 15 minutes of me. Two of the shops I would have to verify and closely check their work, but the other one is outstanding. How can these large companies not have the people or equipment to do this on their own? Do they just not want the hassle or they get someone to do it for them cheaper than they can?

I always enjoy reading your posts and like your signature, I end up flow testing heads and dynoing engines mostly for my knowledge but sometimes to prove a point. People really don't like being called a liar.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 421