Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

468 Big Block at 8000RPM

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 03:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

You tune for MPH not ET first off as it is a direct representation of power. Second, a BBC is what powers NA 100 octane Manual transmission pro stock cars to 6s in the 1/4. My 68 Camaro had no concern for the "Heavy" 468 under the hood as it still came in at 2950lbs with me in it. By the way, I haven't seen an LSX in Top Fuel lately. The LSX is a great platform, no denying it. But when you just need to have brutal, shake the earth, horsepower and torque, the Big Block will always be King.

OP, why is it that you would like to spin a Rat motor to 8k? I'm not asking as if it can't be done, I'm just interested in why do you need to?

Last edited by 93Z2871805; 04-19-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Oh yea....I forgot that we all have pro stocks and top feuls in our driveway . When a bbc can run 11.1 @124.6 and get 20-22 mpg city 27-29+ hway mpg (keep in mind this is a stock '02 ls6 in a real street car, my DD) makeing it affordable to drive let me know when a bbc can do that. I used to like bbc back in the day, but now in these days there is much better alternitives. I had friend back in HS build a L88 to spec with the exception if a little clean up on the heads....man I thought that thing was badass. It would turn 7800 and ran 10.6 - 10.8 in a 71 semi race/ street camaro on race gas. There's your answer OP....build you a L88.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was curious of some ideas it has be all cast iron for the rules in the class im in and i had a 409 and im allowed 468 so upgrading to more cubes. its for truck pulling and thats the power band that works the best so it doesnt fall on its face. ya its not a ls motor but it doesnt hurt to get input from other motor builders.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:05 AM

the compression is about 13:1 that i want it at
Old 04-19-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Oh yea....I forgot that we all have pro stocks and top feuls in our driveway . When a bbc can run 11.1 @124.6 and get 20-22 mpg city 27-29+ hway mpg (keep in mind this is a stock '02 ls6 in a real street car, my DD) makeing it affordable to drive let me know when a bbc can do that. I used to like bbc back in the day, but now in these days there is much better alternitives. I had friend back in HS build a L88 to spec with the exception if a little clean up on the heads....man I thought that thing was badass. It would turn 7800 and ran 10.6 - 10.8 in a 71 semi race/ street camaro on race gas. There's your answer OP....build you a L88.
Cool story bro.
Since when does mpg matter in a dragcar/truckpuller/warrior car?

OP What heads? Intake?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

What do you have for a budget?

I have been a part of a few 8800 rpm BBC's that made over 1,000 horspower with ease on the engine dyno.

Overall, it is going to cost a bit to keep the valvetrain alive.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

In a car that I'm building for shear power, I could care less about MPGs. Let me know when you can get 1600+ NA horsepower from an LSX. If you really want affordable, the 463 BBC in the 79 Malibu parked in my dad's driveway was a grand total of $7000 (car and entire power train). It turns bottom 10s NA, and that was him trying to sandbag it because he didn't want to break the 9.99 barrier. That's with iron heads btw...

OP, the valvetrain will make or break this setup as well as the balancing with a good set of rods to hang on to it all. Your also going to need some large ports to keep it breathing up top.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
Cool story bro.
Since when does mpg matter in a dragcar/truckpuller/warrior car?

OP What heads? Intake?
When gas cost $4+ a gallon and when your car/truck is'nt a garage queen. Ya'll sound like my dad....bigblock this bigblock that....then he drives a geo metro around to save gas. If ya believe in that **** don't be scared to pay the price to drive it. Op there is a guy around here that builds bbc pullin motors. If you want I could try to find his #. I know he's not in you backyard but somepeople like that so ya don't have to deal with local race politics/favoritism.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Dude.. you realize that your LS1 block/engine isn't completely why it makes 25 MPG on the highway right? It's the EFI system that's attached to it. Throw a carb on your LS1 and see it what it gets.

Better yet, throw an EFI setup on a BBC.
Did you know you can run a BBC off the LS1 PCM with an injector manifold, LS1-style TB and coil packs?

Hmmmmmm.... Knocking on your MPG back door....

Need to know the budget of the build really. But as we all say, the valvetrain is where all the money needs to be spent to keep it alive at multiple 8000+ runs.

Bigbronco: What kind(brands/makers/etc) of valve trains were you using so we can get an idea? Would love to have real experiences of living valve trains for multiple passes at 8000+ RPM, it will give us all a good idea at what we and the OP would need for this RPM.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well obviously it will have to be a solid roller setup. SO, Jesel is a must for the lifters, pushrods, and rocker arms. You're valve springs will need to be at least 1.55" dual springs. 1.625" springs would my my choice though.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

When gas cost $4+ a gallon and when your car/truck is'nt a garage queen. Ya'll sound like my dad....bigblock this bigblock that....then he drives a geo metro around to save gas. If ya believe in that **** don't be scared to pay the price to drive it. Op there is a guy around here that builds bbc pullin motors. If you want I could try to find his #. I know he's not in you backyard but somepeople like that so ya don't have to deal with local race politics/favoritism.
why are you in here? seriously go drink a beer.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:08 PM

what brand would be the best for the rotating assembly?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Parasoth
Dude.. you realize that your LS1 block/engine isn't completely why it makes 25 MPG on the highway right? It's the EFI system that's attached to it. Throw a carb on your LS1 and see it what it gets.

Better yet, throw an EFI setup on a BBC.
Did you know you can run a BBC off the LS1 PCM with an injector manifold, LS1-style TB and coil packs?

Hmmmmmm.... Knocking on your MPG back door.....
Then why ain't you doin it......Hmmmmm.....must not be that easy.....
carb = poop......and I said it gets 27-29+ hiway
Old 04-19-2011, 07:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by draggin97s10
why are you in here? seriously go drink a beer.
I don't know really. I came across this thread in the new posts section and did'nt pay attention to where it was. I kept getting quoted so I kept replieing.....I usally avoid this section.....and old school motors, god they are horrible. Anyway, I'm goin to drink that beer now.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Then why ain't you doin it......Hmmmmm.....must not be that easy.....
carb = poop......and I said it gets 27-29+ hiway
Just because I don't list all of my cars in my sig does not mean I do not have others little boy. For your info, I AM doing it to my 90 RS.

I have less than a grand into my EFI setup... good game.

And yes, it is extremely easy once you use your brain. I've already posted all the information needed to start the swap in another thread.

You sound like someone who takes a car to a shop, pays them 5 grand to make it fast, then go around claiming you know things about cars when you actually know **** about dick. (You don't even know your own MPG, your just quoting from sources online.)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/corvette-...ge-c5-z06.html
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f4/wh...eflect-114019/

Also, so you put that motor into a car that's HEAVIER than a C5 Z06 by at least 300 pounds and your still trying to claim the same MPG?

Good lord.

Why don't you actually respond to my posts in an intelligent manner and try to debunk my claims like I have done to all of yours?

It's because you can't.

Let me break this down so you can comprehend.

Your comparing a Carb BBC to an EFI LSX.

Let's compare a Carb BBC to a Carb LSX.

BUT, let's really compare an EFI BBC to an EFI LSX.

God, little kids.

If you keep posting dumbass nonsense, I will just report you for posting flame bait in a specific sub-forum.

Stay out.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:18 PM

if your worried about gas prices and milage then this is the hobbie you shouldnt be in go get a ***** hybrid if worry about that ****. i love my gas hog and i like to show my pride in what i got slow or not it rocks.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mitch383LT1
what brand would be the best for the rotating assembly?
Stay away from anything Eagle, Scat, or the like if you want 8000 RPM and be reliable IMO. Your gonna need some good stuff, a couple of people have chimed in with having regards to building motors that spin this high and wish they would jump back in and advise what their valve train and bottom end consisted of.. cam specs and head flow numbers be damned, I just want the thing to stay alive!
Old 04-19-2011, 09:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Parasoth
Just because I don't list all of my cars in my sig does not mean I do not have others little boy. For your info, I AM doing it to my 90 RS.

I have less than a grand into my EFI setup... good game.

And yes, it is extremely easy once you use your brain. I've already posted all the information needed to start the swap in another thread.

You sound like someone who takes a car to a shop, pays them 5 grand to make it fast, then go around claiming you know things about cars when you actually know **** about dick. (You don't even know your own MPG, your just quoting from sources online.)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/corvette-...ge-c5-z06.html
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f4/wh...eflect-114019/

Also, so you put that motor into a car that's HEAVIER than a C5 Z06 by at least 300 pounds and your still trying to claim the same MPG?

Good lord.

Why don't you actually respond to my posts in an intelligent manner and try to debunk my claims like I have done to all of yours?

It's because you can't.

Let me break this down so you can comprehend.

Your comparing a Carb BBC to an EFI LSX.

Let's compare a Carb BBC to a Carb LSX.

BUT, let's really compare an EFI BBC to an EFI LSX.

God, little kids.

If you keep posting dumbass nonsense, I will just report you for posting flame bait in a specific sub-forum.

Stay out.
O.k..... Since you decided to accuse me of takeing my car to a shop.....No dumbass, I do all my work myself. I worked on IMSA/Busch/GT/ALMS cars for 18 years. I actually have my own shop painting/fabricating/mechanicing for the last 3 years and I am intelligent enough to know a good thing when I see instead of ******* with the same old junk. If you don't want me to reply stop quoteing me. You have'nt debunked ****. My car don't weight 300# more than a zo6....there you go running your mouth about something you know nothing about. Just so ya know....GM has released their most powerful crate engine to date....and it's a LS 720+hp...check it out. You may want one. Where's your pride Mitch....list it in your sig. Besides I did contribute to this thread...put a oe L88 crank/rods op...I know that's good for atleast 7800.

Last edited by HioSSilver; 04-19-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 PM

my pride is win or loose idc i learn from every race. HioSSilver if you were to build a bbc all cast max cubes to 468 single carb no tunnel ram and a manual clutch what would you use? and clutch isnt engaged till 6000 rpm no aftermarket heads or block
Old 04-19-2011, 10:08 PM
10 Second Club

I don't run in the pullin truck field. But the local guys like to use the rectangle iron head around here...or atleast they used to. I know a guy that builds pullin truck engines. I could get his #, he has a dyno too. If it were me I would use the L88 **** but in a 468 instead of a 427. That engine was together a long time for my friend, he used a oe L88 intake too. Maybe get a custom grind cam for the application, I personally like a solid flat tappit...they seem to hold up better if your on a budget.

Quick Reply: 468 Big Block at 8000RPM