Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Coolant every where.....why? :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 02:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant every where.....why? :(

I have coolant in the cylinder wall submerging my piston and I have coolant in my oil pan, we're talking bright green fluid pouring out of the pan where there use to be oil, and you can't even see the piston cause the coolant is all the way to the end of the block, my gaskets are all great, brand new, I had to tune the timing after I replaced all the plugs and wires and timing chain etc, truck ran great for a week, then all of a sudden no power, white smoke and the tear down began, all I find is coolant every where but no bad gaskets, no cracks, I have no idea, heads are good, I don't see what the issue is, I imagine the coolant ruined the cam bearings and that why my power began to fade and my timing was all screwy, but what would cause this?
Old 07-18-2011, 07:10 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

You might need it maged to find a small crack.
When cold you can't see, but when hot it gets bigger.
I've had heads & blocks look ok, but they weren't.
Most of the time you can see it, but you never know.
Are the heads new, were they pressure checked??
If it's only one hole, it might not have taken much to get past the gasket??

Good luck.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Teching In

The heads are old, but I can find any cracks and they seem to be okay, not warpped, all my gaskets are still new, I'm wondering if the I take cracked, there's lots of carbon build up on that plate under the intake manifold, will coolant flow I. To the block if the I take manifold goes bad?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

How closely did you look at the head gaskets? Can you post of a pic of them by any chance? White smoke almost always means a blown head gasket among other things. It could have been that the deck surface was not flat enough and it banged out the gasket right to a coolant passage.

It could also very well be a crack in the water jacket right into the cylinder.

Other possibility is a cracked head in the intake port area near a water passage.

Is the engine all torn down already? Pictures speak a thousand words.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 889 Likes on 633 Posts

I know you say there are no cracks and the gaskets are good but apparently one of the two if not both aren't or you wouldn't be having this problem.

Take the heads to a machine shop and have them fluxed for cracks. Take them the gaskets too. Is it in all cylinders or just one of them?

If it's more than one I have seen a leaking intake suck coolant into the intake sending it to multiple cylinders.

Without doing a compression check before taking the engine apart makes finding the problem a little more difficult now.

As mentioned there also could be a crack in the block in one of the cylinders. Some blocks had a problem with the engine valley cracking but that would put coolant in your engine but not fill your cylinders up.

If you don't drain your block when you pull the heads off the coolant in the block will run into the cylinders when you take the heads off.

Let us know what you find.

Quick Reply: Coolant every where.....why? :(