Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

small block specific dry sump setup questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small block specific dry sump setup questions.

Ill start with a few and build from there. Im not on this board too frequent but I may have mentioned my small block swap happening in the near future. The engine will be going into a 78 6 series bmw. Im wanting to keep the handling aspect of the car close to original which requires keeping the engine low and far back as it weighs a good bit more than the original. Dry sump is the answer as with a pan, no matter what the chevy wouldnt fit.

Now for the questions. I know how a dry sump works, I know the advantages, I know what parts I need and I have a basic idea of where to route my lines. Im still sort of lost on a few things that I cant seem to find through google or searching here.

For a street/ road race style where are the best points to pull the oil out of the engine?

Also, Im wondering how much capacity would be required?

Im thinking if the tank needs to be very big a trunk mount tank will be needed, if so what goes into that? More pumps? What kind of line would be needed (regular ss braided?)

These are just the questions worrying me right now, I might think of some more as I get some help.

As always I appreciate the help, its the reason I come here for engine advice

-Webb
Old 12-05-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where you pull the oil depends on how many stages the pump has. We pull two from the pan and one from both valve covers. Here is something to consider. You can use the stock pump to pull the oil out and pump it into the tank and a single stage pump to suck from the tank and pressurize the engine. Cheap and easy and the pump is not so large. All you need is a remote oil filter kit and the pump, drive and hoses.

Al 95 Z28
Old 12-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Teching In

I think Ill be using a four stage pump unless I get talked out of it. A buddy of mine has one hes willing to sell reasonably. But Im under the assumption you can only pull from 3 places on the engine then the fourth stage is to pull from the tank and push into the engine. So is it possible to use one stage to pull from both valve covers? Or would this require a fifth stage?
Old 12-07-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 6erWebb
I think Ill be using a four stage pump unless I get talked out of it. A buddy of mine has one hes willing to sell reasonably. But Im under the assumption you can only pull from 3 places on the engine then the fourth stage is to pull from the tank and push into the engine. So is it possible to use one stage to pull from both valve covers? Or would this require a fifth stage?
Sure just "Y" them together. We had to drill between the valve cover gasket and the bottom of the rocker galley and put fittings in. We did not plug the stock returns. This stage was supposed to pull some crankcase vacuum but we have a little too much blow by, and it doesn't work. Be sure to use an oil filter. And the tank needs to be able to separate the air from the oil and let it out without spewing oil. There will be lots of air in the scavenged oil.

Al
Old 12-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Great, thanks Al! Youve given me a good few things to think about. Hopefully Ill be posting my end result here in about a year

Quick Reply: small block specific dry sump setup questions.