Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

496 8.1L shorty header question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 496 8.1L shorty header question

i just picked up a 2006 sierra with the 8.1L. I have a minor exhaust leak on passenger side due to the rear most stud being snapped off. I'm contemplating my options and wondering if/when I do the repair, what are the pros/cons of new exhaust headers?
I was looking mainly in summit and there's a handful of them, by JBA, edelbrock, hedman. Some advertised as 409 stainless, I think all of them shorty headers, and not tuned. I'm not looking for more power, I just want the truck to be reliable with no chance of exhaust leaks ever again, and should i have a problem not have to worry about cracked rusted broken ****.
If i chose aftermarket headers, do they typically fit directly in place of the stock exhaust manifold? And would they cause any computer/sensor issues ?
Old 02-13-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fix the stock system. Going to headers is going to be lots of work on your truck, and you are going to want to add a second pipe, another CAT and all the other stuff. And then there is the O2 sensors and so on and so on. The stock system is fine for a stock 8.1 as they are tuned to be almost dead.

Something to watch out for is the drivers side motor mount. It breaks and the fan touches the shroud. or it did on my 02. Price it and when you get up off the floor remember I warned you. My 8.1L has been good to me so far. Hope yours is too.

Al
Old 03-09-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had edelbrock shortys on my Camaro for about a month now with no regrets if that helps. I've got a little write up about them if you look under my posts.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default header swap

Hedman and JBA have headers that bolt right up to replace stock exhaust manifolds. Everything about using headers is positive. Only downside is heat. Using header wrap or a quality stainless steel T-304 ceramic header (not the 409 stainless) will take care of the heat issue. Using quality stainless steel fasteners, gaskets and a header with thick flanges, will give you a good seal. I prefer using studs instead bolts
Old 03-09-2012, 08:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Big Al.Keep the stock system.You won't see any power or mileage with shortys.Removing the one stud will be enough of a pain and doing the other side will be even more work if another stud breaks.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i would repair the stud as well.

my 8.1 makes 640 to the wheels

Quick Reply: 496 8.1L shorty header question