Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

8.1 vortec hot rod!

Old 10-18-2012, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Yea, I can say I agree. Unfortunatly I used junkyard LS and cam only, spin to the moon, still have to retro to roller on a bbc, replace a bunch of BS, headers selection for my car with a big block suck harder than I can explain, the list went on for me. I go with used parts and all the BBC stuff was still over prices or junk wen I got it.

The gen III an IV drops in easier as well. The LS bridges the gap between sbc and bbc I think when it comes down to budget. Now we have ls7 and 510 ci LS, I am thinking I would still not go bbc if I had cash falling out of my pocket. Lol.
I have seen sbc run in the high 5's in the 1/4 mile. So what gap are you talking about???
Old 07-05-2018, 09:10 PM

Its sort of sad the aftermarket hasnt stepped in and supported this engine more as gm did change the intake pirt locations eliminating the long port short port of the previous bbc. GM also used 4 bolt on all 5 positions on the mains. also additional head bolts were added. Conventional bbc headders will bolt up to it from info i have seen.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:19 AM
Teching In

Great thread.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Shannon
Its sort of sad the aftermarket hasnt stepped in and supported this engine more as gm did change the intake pirt locations eliminating the long port short port of the previous bbc. GM also used 4 bolt on all 5 positions on the mains. also additional head bolts were added. Conventional bbc headders will bolt up to it from info i have seen.
Headers will, but I don't think much of anything else does. Given that they were only offered in a handful of vehicles for a handful of years and the take rate was not 100%, I can see why the aftermarket hasn't been apt to devote time and money to developing parts for the engine.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ten5nova
GM really missed the boat with the 8.1. Not much that can be done with it unfortunately. Unless you are happy with how they run stock. I saw one in a 70 Monte Carlo once. Really clean swap, but I doubt it was the nastiest thing of all time. It's a damn shame that early BBC heads will not work on the 8.1 shortblock. Everybody and their grandma would have an carbed 8.1 in something. Give the aftermarket enough time, there will be plent of parts for these things eventually. I doubt companies will ingore a factory 496 for too long.
Traditional bbc heads can be modified to fit the 8.1, there are 3 holes that require being plugged and redrilled, finding a competent machine shop is harder part.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 8.1 vortec hot rod!