Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

L98 Ticking/Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 06:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default L98 Ticking/Knocking

HELP!

CLICK FOR VID

Here is whats happening:
-Very soft when the car is dead cold. Gets louder when warmed up
-Oil pressure is 60 when first stared and 30-35ish at idle even with ticking
-No CEL's.
-No metal on dipstick
-The noise goes away for a split second when shifting from gear to gear (auto tranny)
-Cant really get a good listen using the screw driver on the VC/exhaust manifold etc, but just bought one of those mechanics stethoscope and will check today.
-Also, I have yet to pull the belt off the accessories to see if that does anything.

About 3 weeks ago i got a slight ticking/knocking sound that can be heard really well from under the car, but at one point I thought It might be a lifter or rocker, so I started with removing the DS VC and everything looked good. My friend was telling me he thinks its a low end knock and that I can have a spun bearing. I also thought it might be a TC bolt that backed out or a cracked flexplate, but pulled the inspection cover but everything was tight and no cracks were evident.

Before I go ahead and pull the motor, what else can i check to confirm it is internal engine damage.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

It is either a bearing or a hairline crack in the crank if it is an internal motors problem - both of which are common in these cars with the L98.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

http://s911.photobucket.com/albums/a...DSCN2489-1.mp4

Heres another video taken yesterday. As you can see the sound has gotten a lot quieter for some reason. The only things that have changed since the last video is the addition of the catback and I noticed I was really low on coolant in my overflow so I topped that off (I know that didnt do anything to fix the sound, but those are the only changes)

You can hear it toward the back of the PS when I have the camera there.

This coming week, im going to run a compression test on the cylinders.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

Tranny has been pulled, to install the t56, it looks like my ticking sound was a combination of one of my bellhousing bolts was REALLY loose and my flexplate was cracked (maybe as a result of the loose bellhousing bolt)

Old 01-20-2013, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

was gonna ask about flex plate bolts, then i scrolled down and seen your pic, that will do it.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bungy74
was gonna ask about flex plate bolts, then i scrolled down and seen your pic, that will do it.
Yeah. It didnt matter to me, I was going to do a T56 swap anyway. I actually just finished my t56 swap yesterday, fired it up and let it run for a good long while and there are no abnormal sounds from my car anymore which is a great feeling!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:31 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Would have been my excuse for a LS swap. Glad you found it to be a small issue, as well as no money to fix it.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

when you swapped in the t56, what pedals did you use ? I am about to do an ls1/t56 swap into my 1992 auto camaro.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:13 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I always used stock third gen pedals with a t56 swap. With a lt1 or ls1 t56.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bungy74
when you swapped in the t56, what pedals did you use ? I am about to do an ls1/t56 swap into my 1992 auto camaro.
I dont think the pedals make much of a difference with the LS swaps since the slave is not pushing out a rod as it is in the LT T56 swaps. I have numerous friends running LS/T56 with third gen pedals and have not had any problems.

I ran 3rd gen pedals because they are A LOT beefier than the 4th gen ones, and they are a direct bolt in. With the 4th gen pedals you have to cut the gas pedal off and oval out 3 holes. None of that is "hard" but when you have to keep test fitting it while lying under the dash it becomes a real PITA.

With LT1 T56 swaps people complain that the clutch engages high, but I actually enjoy that. My daily driver clutch pedal engages just like the camaro does so im used to it. The transitions from driving one car to the other will be easy.

Now if only the snow would stop and we got a nice heavy rain I can actually drive my car on the street instead of on the stand........stupid winter!

Quick Reply: L98 Ticking/Knocking