Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

L31 Head Gasket + tune up part list

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default L31 Head Gasket + tune up part list

1997 k1500 Suburban, ~197k on the odometer, with what I suspect is a blown head gasket. Car has been sitting for the last 6 years or so, started every now and then. It starts, it runs, but a little rough. Had some overheating issues before it started sitting. I did a compression test a few years ago, cylinder 2 had lower compression than the rest by about 40-50 PSI I think.

So I'm going to tear into it and change the head gasket. I've never messed with an SBC before, but have some experience with 3800 V6s and LS1s. I don't know what's a common wear item on these engines, but I do remember something about the fuel system being fixed at some point. Car was misfiring and drinking gas, probably 10 years ago or so, and brought it to a shop and they fixed something. I think the fuel spider was leaking so it was replaced?

What I've figured so far:

Head gasket kit
Head bolts
Lifters
Fuel pressure regulator
Fuel filter
water pump

Plugs, wires, distributor cap are good. Anything else I should get? Valve springs/pushrods? And anything else I should look for once I tear it down? Maybe get the heads checked? Any comments/suggestions/part or brand suggestions, etc please speak up! I'm not looking for performance, just to get it running reliably to move things when I need more space than my C5 can offer.

Also if there are any good DIY sites for this, that'd be great. I have a copy of the GM service manual, but a lot of times it's more complicated than needed.

Thanks

Quick Reply: L31 Head Gasket + tune up part list