Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

8.1l keeps melting spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 06:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 8.1l keeps melting spark plug wires

This is in my brothers 2500hd work truck.....he pulls a trailer 90% of the time that is way overloaded. Just about every year now we have had to put a new set of plug wires on it because it cooks the drivers side bank of wires. It cooks the wires so bad that they break apart when you try and touch them. Just curious as to why it keeps doing this? We keep using autolite spark plug wires as they are under warranty so he gets a free set.
Also another weird part about this when his truck starts missing all it will ever set is a P0300 random/multiple misfire and a P101 Mass airflow sensor range/performance intermittent. This time when we replaced the plug wires only #7 was burnt and broken....i just dont understand why it didnt throw a PO307 cylinder 7 misfire instead of the P0300.
ANyone else seen anything like this??
Old 10-01-2013, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have a metal insulators over the spark plug boot? and do you still have the metal heat shield on the exhaust manifold? mine manifold shields rusted off and i've been running without them with no problem, i wonder if they might be redirecting heat towards the spark plug wires. i would look into getting some wrap for the exhaust manifolds, and there are heat shield tubing for wires you could put over the spark plug wires
http://www.jegs.com/i/Thermo+Tec/893/17062/10002/-1
with the computer, don't put too much faith into the programming being solid bug free, i get a P0171 P0174 if i highway drive for more than an hour then stop and get gas, when i restart when hot after being off for 2-3 minutes i get the codes. but i can daily drive the truck for the rest of the year and tow **** and get gas and not get the codes. I've duplicated the scenario 3 times.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Taylor or msd almost same cost
Old 10-07-2013, 06:14 AM
Launching!

thanks for the replies..... It does have the factory heat shields on both manifolds. It doesn't have the factory metal tubes that go around the plug wires though. Im looking into getting a set of those to see if it will help or not. If it needs another set of plug wires next year i will convince him to by some MSD's.

Quick Reply: 8.1l keeps melting spark plug wires