Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

600 hp BBC vs 600 hp SBC/LS

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TT427
for what you are doing an LS swap would be easiest imo. Not necessarily better. VortecPro has a some nice stock parts BBC engines that are pretty cheap you should look just to see what's possible and see what can be done for cost, but LS stuff is so simple to drop in and mm and exhaust are have pretty much been done for everything now.
Checked their site out. Some good deals there.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TT427
for what you are doing an LS swap would be easiest imo. Not necessarily better. VortecPro has a some nice stock parts BBC engines that are pretty cheap you should look just to see what's possible and see what can be done for cost, but LS stuff is so simple to drop in and mm and exhaust are have pretty much been done for everything now.
So I contacted him and it wasn't the best conservation. I didn't get any information that I really needed from him. So putting a bbc into a 2nd gen s10-blazer/jimmy is a **** load of work fro what I have read. I kinda wanna do it though because the build is unique. I will be taking a wielding class so I can save on labor but damn me to hell if I am still not mechanically inclined to do all the work if any. /ramble

Would the BBC out beat a LS? This is for an DD/Strip car. I doubt the BBC is DD friendly and saving 4k for EFI plus additional is worth it as I haven't seen any solid numbers on it
Old 05-25-2017, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GhstnDaJimmy
So I contacted him and it wasn't the best conservation. I didn't get any information that I really needed from him. So putting a bbc into a 2nd gen s10-blazer/jimmy is a **** load of work fro what I have read. I kinda wanna do it though because the build is unique. I will be taking a wielding class so I can save on labor but damn me to hell if I am still not mechanically inclined to do all the work if any. /ramble

Would the BBC out beat a LS? This is for an DD/Strip car. I doubt the BBC is DD friendly and saving 4k for EFI plus additional is worth it as I haven't seen any solid numbers on it
if I were you, I would research guys that have his engines on Team Chevelle and I know a guy who recently in past few years put one in his C3 Vette, AjRotham on Corvetteforum and I think he goes by Shouldntbehere on Team Chevelle. He has a C3 driver not even close to track setup, AC, clutch fan, stockish converter, 3.08 gears and 3700lbs or so and he clipped off a high 10 sec 1/4 on his 2ndor 3rd pass. Mark may get impatient if he thinks you are a newb, and are wasting his time. He is a busy guy. Here is a vid he posted though so you have an understanding of what goes into a build and a blueprinted engine by him.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N3jn2ER455Y

i would add that it shouldn't t cost you much more than 1800 for efi on a BBC, and no matter what you choose that transmission will be a liability at that power, reality is HD 5-6speed or th400/4l80

The Vette in question https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LwKCbs2B9NM

Last edited by TT427; 05-26-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:55 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Know Mark...he isnt going to tel anyone how to build one but his milss are bulletproof and a killer bang for the buck
no way is a Lsx going to make the same tq. thats cubes plain and simple

BBC are fun...you seriously just crack the throttle even with a cam and tall gear and youre gone right now.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Big fan of the BBC as well. Boatloads of torque.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

I own a turbo ls s10 and am building a bbc s10. If you want it reliable run smooth make gobs of power and somewhat easy to work on go LS. Single turbo on a 6.0 6.2 with a mild cam easily apex 600 hp and be a blast to drive and still get over 20 mpg. I also have 4 other bbc powered trucks. I love big blocks but smart money is what I told ya to do. plus all the frame modification just to get big block to fit. Have fun with that
Old 08-03-2020, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
LS motors don't need a power adder to make over 600 horse at the crank. All it takes is cubes and the correct cylinder heads/cam to match the combo.
takes alot more than as do sbc cracks me up these poor op gdt told stuff that even close to facts
Old 10-01-2020, 10:32 PM
Launching!

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Hey. I am building 2 cars right now. My 2001 SS has a 600hp LS7 and my 1976 Laguna S3 has a 600hp 496 BBC. Both of them have Tremec Magnum 6-speeds and.373 gears. I was very interested in this same topic and I decided to build both. My Camaro is almost finished but the Laguna still needs more work. I will have to pull this thread back up when I finish both of them and drive them back to back. The 496 should have a torque advantage for sure and red line around 6500’ish. The LS7 is set up for 7200 RPM and should make right at 600 to the wheels. The BBC is a better choice for the heavier car on the street. I really wanted to put the 496 in my Camaro. That would have been awesome. Here is a picture of them.

Old 10-02-2020, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Hey. I have been looking into that. I am still working on getting all the loose ends of the project finished up. Having changed the entire bottom of the car while doing this swap has been a daunting task. A 55 year old man doing this in his driveway has wrecked my shoulders and knees. I am so ready to drive this car.

Quick Reply: 600 hp BBC vs 600 hp SBC/LS