Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Need new cam bearings? If so what type?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need new cam bearings? If so what type?

ok so I’m “freshing up” a 96’ Vortec 350 with unknown mileage on a budget. Tore it down to a short block. Cylinders good, no tapper or ridge and good cross hatch. Cleaned up the block and heads. Lapped valves and added comp cams 981-16 springs in anticipation of a comp xe274h-10 that comes tomorrow. Installed the heads and pulled the old cam and found this:

I was hoping to just stab the new cam but don’t like the look of the bearings. Got a buddy who says to “just hit it with 400 grit and you’ll be fine! Loose is fast!” So the question is, do I need new bearings? If so I’m thinking stock replacement bearings due to I’m only looking at 325-350hp. I thought I was in the home stretch but I fear having to pull the it all completely apart. Any and all input is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-04-2019, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok upon further investigation the other bearing all have burn marks on the top third and all the oil holes are at 5 o’clock. Correct me if I’m wrong but from what I’ve read the hole should be at 12 or 2 o’clock. I’m going o go ahead and replace the bearings. Problem is there is a ton to choose from and I have no experience with them. All I want is a basic bearing that doesn’t need line honed. What material Babbitt should I be looking for? I will likely be ordering them and an install tool from summit. Thinking of something like this:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dur-chp-8