Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

2003 Silverado turbo build plans

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Silverado turbo build plans

I’ve got a 2003 silverado 4.8 with 90k miles and a blown 3/4 clutch pack on the 4l60e transmission.

I’m going to need a stronger transmission. Instead of paying an estimated 2-3k for a shop to rebuild, or ~2k for 4l80e low mileage DIY conversion, I’m going to tackle this myself and use the money upgrade the truck, as a built 60e with such low miles should be able to handle what I have planned....

Parts for the transmission rebuild include performance clutches, reinforced housing components, corvette pumps and servos, shift kit, etc. all for an estimated price of under $500 DIY. (Time for money pit) This is not including the high stall torque converter and upgraded trans cooler that I am choosing to add as upgrades for a better launch, and an attempt to maintain the transmission better this time.
( money pit )

That being said, this opens the door to not only camming this engine, but also boosting it.

That’s right, turbo baby!

The cam job with involve a lift bias to make up for the shoddy low-end torque in this 4.8. My thoughts are that this will help the turbo system get moving faster and supplement acceleration of the vehicle in addition to the high stall torque converter.

The plan to purchase the cam when I purchase the turbo so I can ensure they work well together. In order to maintain the life of the engine, I want to ensure that all my valves are opening soon/long enough now that I’m using forced induction in this v8 gasser.

With the turbo comes new headers, and a less restrictive exhaust system that should ideally have the perfect amount of back pressure to run the most efficiently. Some additional exhaust modifications may be in order, but the key for this build is to remain a sleeper.

In addition to these modifications, the plan is to upgrade the pulley system to be as efficient as possible - whether that’s upgraded pulleys or an electric water pump/fan. These upgrades should put less drag on the pulley system and effectively the camshaft, which sounds good to me. Right?

This vehicle will be used as a daily driver, so fuel efficiency in the face of a cammed v8... I’ll take what I can get. This is the main reason I am choosing a turbo over supercharger, even though I am going for low-end torque.

I’ve never rebuilt transmission. I’ve also never installed a turbo system or tuned a vehicle. In fact, I only just rebuilt an engine for the first time, learning piece by piece how each part works together as I reassembled it.

That being said, I am very open to any corrections or information you have that might help. I speak with confidence but in reality I’ve never done any of this before and have no idea what I’m actually doing first-hand. However, with the strength of passion and the Internet, I’m not worried about this project at all and I’m very excited to see the improvements in performance.

Let me know what you think!

Old 03-08-2019, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see that no one has posted anything in here since you posted this, I’ve reserved my opinions, and no others
have chimed in so I’ll pop this cherry. Don’t waste your money on that 60e, go straight for the 80e. The 80e in stock form can handle more then your idea of a “built 60e” will take. The beginning of this year I just sold my low 10 second 02 RCSB. The 60 sucks, everything from the gear ratios to sluggish shifts, it’s garbage! I’ll make this rant quick tho, I didn’t listen to the hundreds of people that said 80e right off the bat, and wasted time with the 60e. Also join performancetrucks.net. You will have better success on that forum. Best of luck with your build
Old 03-08-2019, 03:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 548 Likes on 428 Posts

i'm dealing with 4l60 woes right now. ive been building them for 20 years. a turbo makes so much torque that it just cant handle it. Once you get the clutches to not slip, you break hard parts. Go ready my 4l60e turbo trans thread. I destroyed it twice in a months time. I'm going back with it once more just to get the car moving again but an 80e is in the plans. $500 worth of parts if you build it yourself isnt going to do it.

heres the thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...turbo-car.html

Last edited by Kfxguy; 03-08-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MrHorsepowerLSx
I see that no one has posted anything in here since you posted this, I’ve reserved my opinions, and no others
have chimed in so I’ll pop this cherry. Don’t waste your money on that 60e, go straight for the 80e. The 80e in stock form can handle more then your idea of a “built 60e” will take. The beginning of this year I just sold my low 10 second 02 RCSB. The 60 sucks, everything from the gear ratios to sluggish shifts, it’s garbage! I’ll make this rant quick tho, I didn’t listen to the hundreds of people that said 80e right off the bat, and wasted time with the 60e. Also join performancetrucks.net. You will have better success on that forum. Best of luck with your build
this almost seems like spam post. (post number 1)
Old 03-08-2019, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spam post? someones clearly confused.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SSonSpray
Spam post? someones clearly confused.
one post. And the way it was typed and worded. Some of it looks like spammer and some looks legit.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kfxguy

one post. And the way it was typed and worded. Some of it looks like spammer and some looks legit.
Well it’s definitely not spam and it’s all legit
Old 03-09-2019, 02:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MrHorsepowerLSx

Well it’s definitely not spam and it’s all legit

you think so? Guy hasn’t posted back yet. Not odd?
Old 03-09-2019, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kfxguy

you think so? Guy hasn’t posted back yet. Not odd?
nah, he probably jumped to the performance trucks forum like I suggested