Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Forgot to chase threads what should I do

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forgot to chase threads what should I do

Hi guys. I always come here to research things when I need help or just to learn. Kinda got myself in a pickle. I just installed a cylinder head on a 5.7 and didn't chase the threads. I cleaned each bolt hole with a wire brush on a drill, and cleaned debris with a qtip and carb cleaner on it. a couple head bolts were kinda tight going in. Has anyone ever been stupid and forgot this step and what should I do? Can I pull the bolts one at a time and chase each one and retorque them or just pull the head off and start from scratch.. love this website the information has always been helpful from great guys. Any advice would be great, thanks!
Old 03-09-2019, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,797 Likes on 1,300 Posts

It's very important to make sure the thread holes are cleaned of debris and especially coolant prior to installing the heads. If there's coolant inside there you risk damaging the block if you run it. Chasing the threads is recommended but going back through the holes with brake cleaner and compressed air will work also. You just want to make sure your not trapping coolant down in the hole. One way to avoid this from happening is to install engine studs.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,797 Likes on 1,300 Posts

If the engine is on a stand then by all means remove them and clean the bolt holes thoroughly. There could be debris in the bolt holes from the machine work done to the block that didn't get cleaned out.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's my 5.7 vortec, not my LS sorry I posted wrong forum. Any advice would be great though. Worried my torque load wasn't correct when I clamped down the head. Have you guys ever gotten away with this on a stock 350?
Old 03-11-2019, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Play it safe, pull the heads off and clean the holes properly. Don’t cheap out on 30mins of work for having to possibly be stranded on the road due to improper torque load. Also make sure there is no coolant in the bolt holes. You can not compress a liquid and it will damage the block. Good luck
Old 03-11-2019, 08:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 556 Likes on 431 Posts

Pull each bolt, one by one. chase the threads. start in the correct torque order. only pull one bolt at a time. Thats what i would do. i wouldnt pull the head back off and mess up the gasket. Pulling one bolt out at a time isnt going to mess with your torque. Dont forget thread sealant (old sbc) on the threads.