Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

4th Gen Carbed 350 Swap - Done!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone happen to have pics of how it bolts up to block?

I'll be happy to answer any questions about my project for those who are interested. Just post 'em here![/QUOTE]
Old 08-10-2019, 04:05 PM

I just got a 4th gen camaro and I'm looking to drop in my carb'd 350. I'm worried about the computer in the car and the fact that the engine doesn't have one. How should I go about handling that?
Old 08-15-2019, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankenWorks
I just got a 4th gen camaro and I'm looking to drop in my carb'd 350. I'm worried about the computer in the car and the fact that the engine doesn't have one. How should I go about handling that?
I have a small block in my z28 which originally had a LT1. What do you wan't to know? The computer and engine harness remove from the car cleanly and all the lights and such will stay working.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Commenting on a 14 yr old post... NICE
Old 01-11-2022, 11:16 PM

Default Need help!!!

Originally Posted by dotcomslash
Hi guys!

This message is from a long time LS1tech.com reader, but first time poster.

I've been reading alot about people wanting to do this swap, and I must say that alot of people (even the gear-heads) have been incorrect in most of their information and advice. I'm not flaming anybody, I'm just saying that more people who have done this swap need to post, and people who are only speculating need to let the reader know that they are simply speculating.

One of the reasons I took on this project is because of all the people saying it couldn't be done or it would be cheaper to buy a V8 camaro than to make your own.

This is just plain WRONG.

So you guys thinking about doing this swap, take it from someone that has done it rather than from someone who has thought about doing it. If you have the means to do it at home, in your driveway, with nothing but hand tools, some elbow grease, and a little bit of determination, go for it! Don't be discouraged by the nay-sayers!

Having said that, here's the deal with my Camaro V6-V8 swap:

I bought the car with a blown 3.4L V-6. It's a '94 with a ton of miles on it so I got it pretty cheap (750 bucks!). Then I spent another $750.00 on parts and materials. $1,500 bucks so far? Not too bad.

Right after I bought the car, I found a mid-80's Caprice for sale locally that had just what I needed: a 350 engine and a 700R4 transmission. The car was beat up, so I picked it up for $250.00 and yanked the motor and tranny. With some wise spending and a little luck, I spent less than $2,000 on the Camaro and I LOVE IT! I'd do it all over again if I had the chance!

The only thing I did to the motor was put a beefy cam in it and resealed everything. The tranny was good to go so I changed the fluid and filter and buttoned it up. Then came the fabrication...

I bought a torque plate, headers, and fuel pressure regulator from Summit Racing. Installing the torque plate took some measuring and careful consideration, but after that everything just sorta fell into place. With the motor sitting in there just right, I had to trim up the cowl to make the air cleaner fit, but I dig the way it looks.

The only thing left was to hook up the rear-end, so I went to the bone-yard and picked up a driveshaft from a late 80's Z28. Fit like a dream...

I've been driving it every day and I must say, the reward after my hard work has paid off tremendously!

While I will admit this job isn't for someone that doesn't know alot about cars, it's a fun project for someone that does! I lucked out with what I spent on this project, but had I listened to everyone who said it couldn't be done or I couldn't afford it, I would never know the satisfaction I feel now!

Thanks to everyone here that compelled me to take on this project! You guys that are thinking about taking on a project like mine, get off yer hind-ends and get it done!

Here's some inspiration: http://www.freewebs.com/dotcomslash/

-Chuck

How Did You Get The Car To Start Up With The Key ??
Old 01-23-2024, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by tittan1500
This thread is like 10 years old.... I did a big block swap so I can give some insight.

I used a BMR K member setup for a SBC/BBC and a standard motor plate from comp engineering to secure the motor.

The BMR K moves the engine to the passenger side by a inch or so to help with header clearance with the steering shaft.

As for the Cowl, I cut it across the full length and stitch welded it back together in one flat piece. I did not want to cut the windshield and patch the hole to the dash so I just run the carb sidways and made an access panel in the top of the dash to pull the distributor from the inside of the car.

Attachment 603851
Attachment 603852
Attachment 603853
Attachment 603854

do you have a link to the motor plate you used?

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Carbed 350 Swap - Done!