Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Engine is finally in the car

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking Engine is finally in the car

After a couple of bad weeks with intake manifold issues I finally just went back to the intake I had on the engine when I was mocking everything up in the car. I finished assembling the engine a few nights ago and primed it last night and then installed it this morning. I should have had the engine in a couple of weeks ago, but you know how that goes. Now I have to finish stuffing the 2" headers in there and wiring it up. I have all of the fuel system done, I just have to put it in the car. I will be at the Year One Experience in April with it. For those that know about the car, it's a 93 Z28 I picked-up from Hawk's Third Gen. Parts. I swapped out the front clip to a 98+ since I was able to pick-up a damaged SLP Ultra Z hood through work. The engine was a Wheeler 385 that spun a rod bearing and cracked the crankshaft, even with a new Eagle crank and 2 new rods and the usual rebuild stuff I still only have a few hundred dollars in it. The cam came from Crower's "garage sale" section and it's a .547/.574 and 262/277 @ .050 on a 112LS. The rockers came from one of the GAFBA members, thanks Ross. I picked up the carb and intake from one of the guys I work with and the GM Fast Burn Heads and valve cover came from eBay. I built a TH350 trans w/ manual valve body left over from my race car and picked-up a J&W 3800 RPM converter. I made the engine plate & alt brackets along with modifying the trans crossmember for the TH350. I have a Dick Miller torque arm, Comp eng shocks & I just got a Ford 9" last week that I have to go pick-up this week. It has a programable ignition with an MSD multi-step retard for the nitrous. Oh yeah it has a custom NX/HVH Super-Sucker plate system on it that'll prob be set at somewhere around a 250 hit (for now). For a fuel system it has a Holley Dominator fuel pump 500GPH -10 lines, three Holley regulators and a Dominator carb. Let me know what you think about my little street car.
Attached Thumbnails Engine is finally in the car-engineincar.jpg   Engine is finally in the car-engineincar3.jpg   Engine is finally in the car-enginewithfuellines.jpg  
Old 03-12-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Slick looking setup! I dig both the nitrous and engine plate. Did you get that spray plate from HVH and do you know if they're all they're cracked up to be? I've been debating that plate, the HVH 2 stage, or a SpeedTech Diffuser, or a Gemini Twin, Wilson, etc.

Let us know when it runs.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AutoRoc
Slick looking setup! I dig both the nitrous and engine plate. Did you get that spray plate from HVH and do you know if they're all they're cracked up to be? I've been debating that plate, the HVH 2 stage, or a SpeedTech Diffuser, or a Gemini Twin, Wilson, etc.

Let us know when it runs.
The plate that's on there is the stage 6, I also have a Gemini Twin Pro Power HVH Super Sucker. I have a friend that works for NX and he built them for my engine. As soon as I hit the track or the dyno I'll let you know how it works, but I've been an NX dealer for years and my other car had a Shark nozzle system and a Gemini twin stage 6 plate on it so I feel good about them.
Jeff
Old 03-12-2006, 09:51 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks sick! Keep us up to date on how she drives and runs!

Derek
Old 03-13-2006, 06:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice man! looks like you are panning on running an ls1 radiator with it??? or is that just for mockup?
Old 03-13-2006, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Yes, that's the radiator I'm going to use.

Derek, I thought you'd like to see where the conveter went.
Jeff
Old 03-14-2006, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

looks good. are you going to make it to the spec tire race on saturday. i would like to see that car run. also want to see swinger and the other guys run.
daniel
Old 03-14-2006, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

How much power do you plan on making with your setup N/A and with spray???
Old 03-15-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How did you go about re-routing the front brake lines? How did you set them up?

thanks,
-john
Old 03-15-2006, 01:05 AM
Teching In

looks sweet...and it also looks like its gonna be some fun driving that thing
Old 03-15-2006, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by menchaca
looks good. are you going to make it to the spec tire race on saturday. i would like to see that car run. also want to see swinger and the other guys run.
daniel
Daniel, NO I'm not going to make the spec tire race this weekend, but I'll be there anyway. So far this week I've just been getting home way too late get anything done on it. We're getting into a really busy time at work with our Power Tour car. I'll have it at the Year One Experience this year, I'll be trying to run the 7.00 ORSCA class and I'll probably run the Year One Street Car Races also.

JPMuscle- Where the lines run right along side the frame rail I cut and flared them and placed a tee in the fron lines ran them back to the line lock which is bolted to the clutch master cylinder mount and then bacl to the Master Cylinder. For the rear line I cut it off by the firewall and placed an adjustable proportioning valve in the line and then made a new line to go up to the master cylinder.

Vortech355-I'm hoping for 475-500 (at the flywheel) N/A and then I'll spray it for another 250. Well it'll start at 100 and I'll keep stepping up until I get to 250. I've had pretty good luck with the KB pistons upto 250, after that they just seem to break. We ran 250 on a KB engine for two complete seasons a few years ago and then that engine is still in a street car.

Quick Reply: Engine is finally in the car