Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

How accurate is this 383 FAQ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 12:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How accurate is this 383 FAQ?

Anyone have any insight on whether the majority of the information in this FAQ is accurate?
Old 05-31-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

most looks good - but I dunno about the specs offhand

What about this??

Should I run a high volume oil pump?
Only if you have a deep extra capacity oil pan. I personally do not like or condone high volume oil pumps on any engine. A stock oil pan will be sucked dry by a high volume pump @ 4500 RPM under hard acceleration. I have rebuilt more than a few motors that burnt up this way.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TimTaylor75
Anyone have any insight on whether the majority of the information in this FAQ is accurate?
Yes its accurate. The info on rod length is a bit dubious as the 400 is a 4.125 bore engine and takes its own piston anyways so Chevy could have put the pin anywhere they wanted. They used a short rod for a reason.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

I know that some small block 383 kits come with pistons that have rist pins that are closer to the top of the piston. I have heard of people that have used all GM stock parts and made it work. The biggest thing is, will it work on your application. If you are going to use stock parts (which is cheap) then you have to assemble the rotating assembly and turn it. If the piston is out of the cylinder enough that the ring lands are showing you might have a compression problem. Another thing is that when you assemble the rotating assembly you have to clear the cylinder skirts for the rod bolts. Everyone seems like they always take it to someone to have this done. It is a simple operation of taking a die grider and carving what you need to have all the rods clear the clylinder skirts. All in all, you really learn more from doing it yourself, not others advise. But it is good that you are looking into things before you dive into them.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nate81Camaro
Should I run a high volume oil pump?
Only if you have a deep extra capacity oil pan. I personally do not like or condone high volume oil pumps on any engine. A stock oil pan will be sucked dry by a high volume pump @ 4500 RPM under hard acceleration. I have rebuilt more than a few motors that burnt up this way.

I would like to know ppls opinions on this! - if you do need a deep pan, how many qts we talkin here?
Old 06-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

I know a lot of people do the high volume oil pump when doing the 383 conversion. I think that a lot of it is BS, IMO you can run the stock volume oil pump and not have problems. I know that you can run the stock oil pan though. But if you do get the high volume I wouldn't know. That is the first time that I have heard of sbc blowing up by draining the oil pan. Some others with more experience could probably answer the question better...
Old 06-03-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am running the stock oil pump and pan and it does just fine.

However, on a deep oil pan, you are talking 7qts or more.

Last edited by YenkoST; 06-03-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

so w/ my stock oil pan ('79 350) and a high volume oil pump, I should be good?

I've never heard that you shouldn't combine these two parts, and seeing how I have them both on my new 355, I'd like to make sure.....
Old 06-09-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well...I don't have a problem with it....but if you can....you can always step up but you don't have too.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by YenkoST
Well...I don't have a problem with it....but if you can....you can always step up but you don't have too.
cool - thanx for the quick reply....seein how I already have it in the car - it'll stay w/ the stock pan.

Quick Reply: How accurate is this 383 FAQ?