Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

High RPM small blocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go get yourself a northstar v8 out of a caddy and put it in your camaro. Those will sing and make gobs of power up high. Harder to find custom parts for them but well worth it if your looking to do what you want. They make sbc conversion mounts to mount northstars.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor Kid
A destroked motor is definately the way to go if you want a screamer. Although mine is a big block, it still does what you want to do. I have a 399 inch big block that i shaft at 9200rpm. The way to make power with a small inch motor is to get the most compression you can and rev the hell out of it. We are currently building a 323 sbc for a 90 camaro to raced in NMCA Mean Street. Its starting as a 350 block .060 over with a 3.125 callies crank. IF your doing this the right way , you have to use aluminum rods and a custom set of pistons made to maximize your combustion chamber. We need to make around 800hp n/a to be competitive, so we have alot of work to do. If you want to see a list of parts to see what you may need check out the chevelle page in my site below. Have fun with that!
sweet thanks for the link!!
Old 11-04-2006, 02:52 AM
Teching In

Just a quick email to find out some more info on the multi valve guru.. Short story We run a door slammer (Promod) here in Sydney Australia & have placed an order in January for a one off custom set of 32 valve ARAO all billet Ford heads (Cleveland style) to suit our alloy Fontana. What we ordered were BILLET solids “no water” with custom porting to suit our Hogan’s blower sheet metal intake.. etc etc.. we also ordered all Manley valve train in Titanium etc etc... We spoke with Manley today and they have NO order from Arao…This order had an agreed lead-time of 16-20 weeks MFG. Now we are sitting in November and since the order is paid in FULL to Russ we’re a little concerned!!! , we were told that if we wire funds in FULL our order then gets expedited. We are very patient with him, we know this is a unique product and sometimes things happen and orders get delayed. My question is... has anyone here personally visited the shop and what’s your impression? Any help is really really appreciated.

Cheers, Kev
Sydney Australia.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

This is a pic of a circle track engine that runs around 8500 RPM and is a 4.140 bore X 3.340 stroke and has ty valves and retainers, Crower shaft system and a roller cam and the pistons are CP and the rods and crank come from Crower and this engine is a dry sump as well.

The block is a Dart block that has been lightened and on this engine we blue print bored the cam tunnel for 50 MM roller cam bearings and the rest of the machine work was done in our HAAS 4-axis CNC machining center where the cylinders were bored to blue print as well as the lifter bores were corrected to .875 and zero decked line honed ETC.

We also build some circle track engines that are solid flat tappet engines and stainless steel valves that run up to 8000 RPM for a season with no problems.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Teching In

several years ago had a 283 bored to a 301 -- 14:1 compression, solid roller, etc- built like a super stock engine - shifted engine 9500+ -- nothing sounded as good - was like a 2 cycle engine with a powerband when it got to about 6k it was like you flipped a switch & started pulling to 9500 -- wish i still had that engine-- short stroke if you want the rpm's
Old 11-09-2006, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

well if u destroke an engine, its harder to raise compression without going to dome pistons.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Teching In

well , start w a good 327 block, 4 inch bore 3 inch stroke or 3.25, i buzz this small journal sbc to 8000 rpm , solid cam, dart heads, way fun...

Quick Reply: High RPM small blocks?