Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Stroker Motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the specs on my 383. I have no clue what it's putting down yet. I'm still putting everything together on the truck to be able to crank it up. Any idea of what it's capable of?

• 383 sbc
• 4 Bolt Main
• Forged Alum Flat Top Pistons
• Forged 5.7 Rods
• Lunati Hydraulic Cam 246 Duration / 520 Lift
• Camel Hump Heads (Double Hump)
• Comp Cams Valve Locks w/ Lash Cap Recess
• Comp Cams Steel Retainers
• Comp Cams Double Valve Springs w/ Damper
• Stainless steel valves undercut
- 202 Intake
- 160 Exhaust
• Victor Jr. Intake Manifold w/ Air Gap
- Port Matched
- 3500-8000 RPMs
• Holley 750 Double Pumper Carburator w/ 2" Spacer
• Double Roller Timing Chain
• MSD Pro Billet Distributor
• MSD 6AL Ignition
• MSD Blaster 3 Coil
• MSD Adjustable Timing Control
• MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Plug Wires
• Hedman Headers 1 3/4" Primaries 3" collector
Old 08-21-2006, 07:37 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The double hump heads are the limiting factor in that combo. Unless they've been worked a bunch, I'd say 450-460 hp.

Derek
Old 08-21-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

yeah.. but with a company youre paying for all the labor, etc and of course they have to make some money because there are some people who dont know what theyre doing or dont care what it costs and just say, hmm that looks good ill buy it.. Most of those engines are bought by people who arent enthusiasts like us on this site.. we know better lol.. But i have a hard time knocking anyone who likes muscle cars and merlin puts together good engines.. I mean, whose going to pay 15000 for an ls7 making 505..
Old 08-22-2006, 04:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bigdcustoms
r u kidding me....ur a buisness, ur supposed to sell motors for a jacked up price..any one on here who knows anything about building engines can build a 550hp motor for less than 10 grand...do me a favor and dont respond to any of my threads again....
Keep in mind that the World Products assembled engines come with a warranty.
You are paying for a matched combination that is GUARANTEED to make 550hp. Sure anyone who knows anything about building engines can build a 500hp engine but to do it reliably is not something EVERYONE can do. You get what you pay for and quality machine work definetly fits into the cliche.

In their defense they were just getting some info out on their product, after all they are a sponsor of the site which means they pay money to advertise on this site. Without contributions from sponsors there would be no LS1tech for "your" thread. No need to be rude.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

speed-o-motive has 383 kits with forged pistons and rods, and a new nodular iron crank, rings, and bearings for 500 bucks, you can get it balanced with a new flexplate, and dampener send to your door for only 800 bucks, i just bought mine yesterday

and on the 377 note, if you want to spin it to 9 grand you better have the h/c/i that can flow enough air at that rpm, unless its an all out drag motor i dont see the need to spin a motor to 9k rpms IMO

Last edited by WheelsUp84z; 08-22-2006 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle313
Keep in mind that the World Products assembled engines come with a warranty.
You are paying for a matched combination that is GUARANTEED to make 550hp. Sure anyone who knows anything about building engines can build a 500hp engine but to do it reliably is not something EVERYONE can do. You get what you pay for and quality machine work definetly fits into the cliche.

In their defense they were just getting some info out on their product, after all they are a sponsor of the site which means they pay money to advertise on this site. Without contributions from sponsors there would be no LS1tech for "your" thread. No need to be rude.
yea they are just trying to get their product out there, no hard feelings..but like I said earlier, the latest edition of hot rod magazine has a build up 383 motor with 500hp for 5 grand..im the kind of person who likes to build it myself, not just go and buy a crate engine and slap it in there..
Old 08-25-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bigdcustoms
first of all in the latest hot rod magazine they built a 500 hp motor for 5 grand, so point proven...second me and other people like 377 because you can rev them up to like 9 grand safely depending on how u build them..thats why i was thinking aboout building one...and third of all nice combo..ill probably go the 383 route cause they cool better and are less expensive..
Actually, if you have access to a 400 block, you can build the 377 cheaper. This was the other reason I started this build. I am building it with all off the shelf parts and mostly OEM parts. I am using a 400 block, bearing spacers, conventional 350 bearings, a GM forged steel 350 crank (but you could use a cast 350 crank), GM 5.7 rods with ARP bolts, and .030 forged 400 pistons (L2311F are what I have). Keep in mind, I started this project 15+ years ago and back then an aftermarket crank started at about $2,000.00 (which would be like $4,000.00 today), and I worked at a machine shop so the I was able to pick through a dozen or so 400 blocks to find the one with the least core shift (very common problem with 400 blocks) as well as get a good steel crank. If I were to do it all over again I would not choose this route, but I still plan to build this one eventually since I have all the parts for it.

Last edited by BOWTIE; 08-25-2006 at 09:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Collections Removal

BigD,
No hard feelings here either. If you had stated a limited budget earlier, I never would have posted to suggest our product.
AmericanMuscle
Thanks for the kind words.