Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

knock sensor and gear drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 07:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default knock sensor and gear drive

im building a pretty stout 383 engine, 10.5:1 cr, 230/230 490/490 lift comp nitrous hp cam, pro top line heads (190cc intakes, 68cc chambers) im going to be running a holley stealth ram intake system and 150 shot of nitrous with a tuned stock ECM. I was thinking about running a gear drive instead of a timing chain, but i was told that it could disrupt the knock sensor and throw the timing all out of whack. Also i know you can delete the knock sensor from the PROM chip, is this a rally bad idea? Just looking for a little info on a not-so covered subject. thanks

Brandon
Old 08-24-2006, 10:06 AM
10 Second Club

anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-25-2006, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gear drives do sound cool but i would think they would get pretty annoying after a while. ive also heard some bad comments on gear drives but i dont remember what they were. im not sure if running a gear drive will screw up your knock sensor or not. if you do decide to delete your knock sensor it just won't retard the timing if it senses a knock. personally i would run a good double roller timing chain set from comp or cloyes
Old 08-28-2006, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THe gear drive will effect the knock sensor to some extent, what you can do to help this problem when you put the knock sensor back in wrap the threads with alot of teflon tape and that will insulate it from the block better and will help elemanate picking up the noise from the gears through the block, you can also delete it to, its what ever you think you want, the valvetrain noise from roller rockers will also disturb the knock sensor, if it were me i would take it off.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:54 AM
10 Second Club

well ive had good experience with gear drive in my 406 but it was carburated, and i happen to like the sound of it personally so thats not a big deal to me, im probably just going to have it deleted as the motor will be fully balanced and blueprinted and the majority of the motors out there are carbed and they dont have a KS and dont have problems

Quick Reply: knock sensor and gear drive