Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

SBCvsLS1??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by black84z28
how about read what people are posting before you try and discredit what they are saying...that cam had to do with the 383 build i was comparing to a 6liter build for hp...that is what we are doing right...comparing a gen3 and gen1 engine for cheapness to buiild and see what one is better?

that cam would not be very street friendly with that much duration...thats what i was implying between two builds that make roughly the same hp
what does duration of a cam have to do with the cheapness here ..u think thats the only cam there is that can make power ? i stated my opinion of what would be cheaper.. y dont u argue that . not a cam profile.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TN94Z
Which way would be cheaper to go? With the LS1 and tuning software, EFI, etc...is it cheaper to just go SBC or will it all be about the same either way?
pay attn to what he is asking here ..
ls1 build and tuning software.. all that will be more than a sbc w/carb build.
if you are starting from scratch.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Big-DEN
They'll crack 1000HP N/A with ET valve canted heads on around 420 ci. Won't be too long
I think it is gonna happen sooner than most people think it will, esp with the Warhawk block and heads due to the added head bolts so they can raise the compression with out lifting the heads.... i even consider that a genV....

off the subject a bit what was the lt5, it was an lt but it was a different block design. is that considered a gen2?
Old 12-27-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by xdamxincx
pay attn to what he is asking here ..
ls1 build and tuning software.. all that will be more than a sbc w/carb build.
if you are starting from scratch.
yes , i agree about the EFI parts when comparing it to a Carb set up...If you go EFI on a Gen1 it brings that price back up.
I also stand behind my statement that high end parts (hard parts i.e. rotating ,heads and valve train) cost ABOUT +/- the same regardless if its Gen 1,2,3,4
Old 12-27-2006, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KHShapiro
I think it is gonna happen sooner than most people think it will, esp with the Warhawk block and heads due to the added head bolts so they can raise the compression with out lifting the heads.... i even consider that a genV....

off the subject a bit what was the lt5, it was an lt but it was a different block design. is that considered a gen2?
the sbc is considered gen I
lt motors are gen II
ls motors gen III
and sbc are already making over 1000 hp na
nascar motors are making close to that with 358 cubes and restrictor plates.. lol
Old 12-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

I also stand behind my statement that high end parts (hard parts i.e. rotating ,heads and valve train) cost ABOUT +/- the same regardless if its Gen 1,2,3,4
i dont think bryant or bill mitchell is messing with ls stuff yet so you
may not even be able to get top end stuff for a ls motor.. callies is as top of the line as you can get whch is real comparable to top end ,,,and like you say it probably is all close in price.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

ls2 & ls7 are considered genIV (4) for us slow people
Old 12-27-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by topend
very expensive.

480" SBC
$49,999.99, i have that in my sofa cushions
but look at the brightside of that price "INCLUDES FREE SHIPPING! ( Lower 48 States )"
by the end of 07 i believe we will see that with less compression even if its (slight)and EFI

In Feb i also think we will see 1k n/a LS series.

Comparing nascar isnt fair, they have weight and other restrictions, it would be a nice surpise if they switched to LS's and redesigned the cars for them
though.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

Comparing nascar isnt fair, they have weight and other restrictions, it would be a nice surpise if they switched to LS's and redesigned the cars for them
though.
well..im just talking hp comparisson.. with restrictor plates.. and 358 cubes..
Old 12-27-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What was I thinking? Arguing the merits of the SBC over the LS1 on an LS1 site? Even if I posted a magic link to a 9,000,000HP SBC for only $1500, that has logged over 3,000,000 miles in a daily driver that runs 3s in the quarter, and gets 50MPG while still being registered as an ULEV someone would want to continue to arguement that the LS1 is better with inferior examples and the hope of one day that it will live up to the arguement they are trying to make.

Go ahead and live in your sheltered little worlds surrounded by LS1 fanboy propaganda , and continue to refuse to believe the truth. Get to a track sometime and witness the real world, not internet hype.

Marc 85Z28 <--- Unsubscribing from this thread due to lack of intelligence in it. Jet engines
Old 12-27-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
What was I thinking?
we are happy you came to your senses!!!
Marc 85Z28 <--- Unsubscribing from this thread due to lack of intelligence
yes i edited the last sentence cause i thought it made it funny
Arguing the merits of the SBC over the LS1 on an LS1 site? Even if I posted a magic link to a 9,000,000HP SBC for only $1500, that has logged over 3,000,000 miles in a daily driver that runs 3s in the quarter, and gets 50MPG while still being registered as an ULEV someone would want to continue to arguement that the LS1 is better with inferior examples and the hope of one day that it will live up to the arguement they are trying to make.

Go ahead and live in your sheltered little worlds surrounded by LS1 fanboy propaganda , and continue to refuse to believe the truth. Get to a track sometime and witness the real world, not internet hype.

Marc 85Z28 <--- Unsubscribing from this thread due to lack of intelligence in it. Jet engines
did you forget to read Dragframe's Sig quote, here let me post it for you.
"No way dude...i saw an LS1 fight godzilla and the LS1 beat godzilla and it looked in the air and was like what do you think of that god? And god was like bring it bitch, so they fought and the LS1 beat god and now the LS1 is god because its the greatest thing ever"
enough said!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

wow .. someone got butt hurt bad... and the funny part is.. i have hardly read any tech articles here on ls1tech .com (thus the low post count) all my knowledge is out at the track/street .
Old 12-27-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

I dont know you and you dont know me, Marc 85Z28 you have refused to read and take in anything, face it the Gen1 isnt the end all of SBC's, maybe you need to just keep the lights off and never go outside to see what the real world is about. Since i am kinda the only one really posting daily here , there is no need to beat around the bush, i am the "fanboy" you refer to or at the very least one of them. i forgot to add, its not the merits of the SBC that have come into play , its the merits of the LS series that have been put into question when compaired to the all mighty Gen1 and the cost of a build. Face it parts in the high end are about the same, and yes you stated it, ls1 parts pricing is dropping and even now there are with in a 200-300 dollars apart foir the mid grade stuff , and lets not forget that that mid grade ls stuff is almost top lvl SBC stuff (not to be confused with SB2.2)
You are the one who refused to believe the truth, and i will put my money where my mouth is and say you dont have more track time than i. i gave you respect and so have others that have debated in this topic .no one questioned your merits, and just because some people dont agree with you they are not nut swingers............ but if thats what you like to do in your free time , more power to you
Old 12-27-2006, 11:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the LS1 not an SBC?

I would say go SBC, you can bore it out and race again next season...LS1...no.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

In Feb i also think we will see 1k n/a LS series.

By that time SBC will be making 1300 hp NA without lifting the head, or breaking the block.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:04 AM
Launching!

people like marc make these forums suck...

anything poduction on a gen 1 is inferior to a ls1 period...the heads suck ***...the blocks are good and some of the rods are alright also..even the efi set ups are a ******* joke...yay for the double flush two toilet injection...

the best factory head i can think of off the top of my head available for the gen1 is a vortec...i am willing to bet and could be wrong stock it wont flow even close to the air a stock ls7 head or a l92 head will flow...plus you can pull the intake off of a gen3 without getting coolant all over the place...thats a plus

i wont even go on about alumnimun blocks...there was a few aluminum block cars produced in the gen1 cars but who has them?...gm and a museum....98-02 f cars have them stock...the closest thing to that is a bbc and that is still a 6k block to buy from gm if you can find one...

when you compare aftermarket to aftermarket of course things will make power...what about factory vs factory...the sbc with factory only parts sucks compared to ls1 factory parts

who gives a **** what an aftermarket build can produce...if we wanna talk about that then **** sbc and the ls1 because the hemi based 500 ci inch top fuel motor is the most powerful internal combustion ever produced on something with 4 wheels...

how about we talk street pump gas cars and see where this goes...because i have been going on about a build for my car before i ever got the idea of a gen3 build for my car and to make anything close to the same power it would not be as streetable as a gen3 build and have efi to boot

Last edited by black84z28; 12-28-2006 at 04:16 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
Is the LS1 not an SBC?

I would say go SBC, you can bore it out and race again next season...LS1...no.
6liter block...yes
Old 12-28-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black84z28
people like marc make these forums suck...

anything poduction on a gen 1 is inferior to a ls1 period...the heads suck ***...the blocks are good and some of the rods are alright also..even the efi set ups are a ******* joke...yay for the double flush two toilet injection...

the best factory head i can think of off the top of my head available for the gen1 is a vortec...i am willing to bet and could be wrong stock it wont flow even close to the air a stock ls7 head or a l92 head will flow...plus you can pull the intake off of a gen3 without getting coolant all over the place...thats a plus

i wont even go on about alumnimun blocks...there was a few aluminum block cars produced in the gen1 cars but who has them?...gm and a museum....98-02 f cars have them stock...the closest thing to that is a bbc and that is still a 6k block to buy from gm if you can find one...

when you compare aftermarket to aftermarket of course things will make power...what about factory vs factory...the sbc with factory only parts sucks compared to ls1 factory parts

who gives a **** what an aftermarket build can produce...if we wanna talk about that then **** sbc and the ls1 because the hemi based 500 ci inch top fuel motor is the most powerful internal combustion ever produced on something with 4 wheels...

how about we talk street pump gas cars and see where this goes...because i have been going on about a build for my car before i ever got the idea of a gen3 build for my car and to make anything close to the same power it would not be as streetable as a gen3 build and have efi to boot
NIce rant...but look at the original topic of discussion. They were never talking about stock for stock....

As far as my take, someone has already stated it. The LSx based engine is nothing more than 50+ years of SBC aftermarket design/development wrapped up into a nice production package. It's not something the designers sat down with a blank sheet of paper and came up with so the circles that this debate is going in is really quite pointless.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Big Show
As far as my take, someone has already stated it. The LSx based engine is nothing more than 50+ years of SBC aftermarket design/development wrapped up into a nice production package.
yes i agree. But its still different hench the "LS" .outside of the rods (which isnt a good idea to use because they are not centered correctly for the ls, but some people have used them) there is nothing from a Gen1 that can be used.
With all of these great and wonderful items in the aftermarket for the Gen1 why didnt GM copy them,why would they not stick with the orginal design and just copy the aftermarket.. Because they couldn't, they needed something better to work with, they knew the short comming of the orginal within the ever changing world and its needs, they needed a more efficent design, which in turn creates more power and reliblity. Remember when EFI first came out and it was laught at? We could go into the differences in the blocks themselfs or the port spacing, or the head angle but i am assuming that we all pretty much know this.. or do we...
The fact of the matter is yes the ls will be slightly higher to build when using mid-grade item BUT those mid grade items outside of the crank are going to be better parts , Yes including aftermarket. They are both going to be about the same price to build when using upper tier parts.(Callies,AFR,ETP,Diamond,Hogan ect,ect,ect)
As a matter of fact i would even say Stock LS stuff is as good as mid grade Gen1 aftermarket stuff, so you can save money on a build right there by using the stock crank and 99+ rods with arp bolts.
Gen1 is like an aging fighter, yeah its had some wonderful battles,and we all want to route for it , but its getting old and although we would still like to see it continue on a win streak, its age is begining to show.. it has for a long time. There is a new up and commer,kickin *** and takin name, hungry to take the belt with a bag of new tricks we havent seen yet.
Thats my take on it.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Big Show
It's not something the designers sat down with a blank sheet of paper and came up with so the circles that this debate is going in is really quite pointless.
Again i agree with you.
This wasnt suposta be about discrediting either or but it turned that way.
I did however think was was mainly about build costs.

So what would it take to build a 600 FWHP Gen1 and a 600FWHP Gen3
Yes there have been some posts with links but would anyone like to do the research and find parts deals and post parts pricing for each
Lets then compare compression ratio ,Cams and street manners.
We could even drop the power lvl down or up is someone has an idea.

1 Saying you already have core engines complete with stock rotating(already in need of a rebuild)
2 no core (no blocks)

Quick Reply: SBCvsLS1??