Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

SBCvsLS1??

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of this going on in here.

You guys are comparing aftermarket parts to aftermarket parts. Those aren't the same engines if all of the parts inside of them aren't stock.

Last SBC I owned practically exploded. It had 250k miles on it, but it did explode.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Notime383
Especially when compared to the "ultra quiet LSX" ??? :
That was a PCV problem that allowed oil into the TB, its not a bearing or piston slap problem.Common fix was/is oil catch can or LS6 PCV conversion Just incase that is what you where refering to, and to clear that up for anyone reading.

Kurt, i'd like to ask you a question.
Which is better, Girdle or dowled mains on the LS?
Does a Gen1 SBC have the same walking problem as the LS? Is it because it is Aluminum, if so does the Aluminum Bow Tie block have the same problem?
If you know great.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JAY ROD
Bullshit on a 2300 h.p daily driven motor.wtf does it run on,gun powder?
Yeah, I guess this doesn't exist either, his 1,500 hp 427 sbc TT, smooth idle daily driver with a tiny 230 cam @ 50. His 2,300 hp 454 TT is already a package thats been tested to death. Hang around in places other than the internet and you'll see nice stuff like this in the world.

http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/v...SBTT06HIGH.wmv

Old 01-11-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 427
The "W2W 352 engine" is mine and it is not 100,000. It is not near half that. What it is right now is the fastest LS on the planet. Not sure why you insist on posting mis information about us.

Kurt
Sorry dude, I mistook your engine for another one I was thinking of.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

I think it is safe to say that LSx motors have the power advantage stock, and for moderate to semi-wild builds they have an edge. But $$/hp and ultra-high end builds are still where the SBC reigns supreme. You have 50 years of experience behind them, I'm sure the LSx will catch up someday. Fanboys and nutswingers don't add anything to the debates, they just drag them down and make themselves look foolish.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Both would be nice. We like to tie the bottom of the main cap to the oil pan rails on high hp engines in factory blocks, but the aftermarket blocks should be stronger in the right spots and dowels should be great.
Stock block gen 1's have all the same problems in the crank area. The strength in a gen1 is the extra headbolt per cylinder. The gen 3 positives are the oilpump and the high cam location in my eyes, besides the obvious stock head performance.

Kurt
Originally Posted by KHShapiro
That was a PCV problem that allowed oil into the TB, its not a bearing or piston slap problem.Common fix was/is oil catch can or LS6 PCV conversion Just incase that is what you where refering to, and to clear that up for anyone reading.

Kurt, i'd like to ask you a question.
Which is better, Girdle or dowled mains on the LS?
Does a Gen1 SBC have the same walking problem as the LS? Is it because it is Aluminum, if so does the Aluminum Bow Tie block have the same problem?
If you know great.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

No! Not the oil consuption PCV problem, it's the ultra quiet cold start ups! Hmmm! None the less both are good, but I give the SBC slight edge when fully built! BTW Nice Nova Kurt!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Guys, you need to give credit when credit is due. The LS1 is a great engine but the SBC is still King (for now). I have had 2 LS1s, now have another 2 that I am building( one is going to be mostly stock, the other a 402 FI. The only SBC I have is a beat down 305 so obviously I wanted to go LS1 for it's newness, EFI, and lightweight in one application only, as I could have had more h.p. / dollar if I went old school.

Oh and FWIW the SBC does sound better

I really like my LS1s but the SBC is still a great power plant.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by C5AJ
Guys, you need to give credit when credit is due. The LS1 is a great engine but the SBC is still King (for now). I have had 2 LS1s, now have another 2 that I am building( one is going to be mostly stock, the other a 402 FI. The only SBC I have is a beat down 305 so obviously I wanted to go LS1 for it's newness, EFI, and lightweight in one application only, as I could have had more h.p. / dollar if I went old school.

Oh and FWIW the SBC does sound better

I really like my LS1s but the SBC is still a great power plant.

The gen 1 SBC is not king.

The LT5 is king!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

The gen 1 SBC is not king.

The LT5 is king!!!!!!
No, not really. Although the LT5 was a great engine, it was overly heavy, large, expensive to buy and expensive to modify. Both the SBC and the LS1 have available heads that can flow similar to the stock 4v heads. The LS6 made the same power and more torque being much lighter and more compact.
The standard SBC still has a lot more going for it.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by C5AJ
No, not really. Although the LT5 was a great engine, it was overly heavy, large, expensive to buy and expensive to modify. Both the SBC and the LS1 have available heads that can flow similar to the stock 4v heads. The LS6 made the same power and more torque being much lighter and more compact.
The standard SBC still has a lot more going for it.

Not talking best engine here I am just talking king.

As far expensive to modify the prices weren't overly expensive they were completely ludicrous.

If the LT5 had the aftermarket and production numbers of the LSX and the gen I engines though it would still be ridiculous in price but it would definately be a powerful force in the dyno queen world.

Quick Reply: SBCvsLS1??