Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Vortec 350ci..11's?? 350+rwhp?? Lets hear it.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 09:47 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QUEST4-10S
It's a carb that is sold on the shelf at the AutoZones. I **** you not. I originally built this car for just hotrodding in the streets. but I felt it was rather healthy. So just started building and tuning til I got those awesome times.

I would say that

#1 no way you ran that compression with vortecs on pump gas. It would not cut off without laying the timing back to 26 degrees or less. dieseling. Vortec chambers simply do not like that high of compression.

#2 I would be utterly amazed to see someone tune a autozone reman 600cfm production carb into the 11's. It is possible. Bbut they would be changing a list a parts far greater than just buying a bigger carb. It would basically be just doing it to show it can be done.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To figure out if it can still run on pump gas you have to take into consideration his DCR, not just his SCR. The DCR determines if it can still run on pump gas. How do you KNOW that the vortec combution chamber design does or does not like that high of compression? The combution chamber is the same as the L98, LT1(cast iron & aluminum), and LT4 heads. Are you trying to tell us that the chambers work fine up to say 10.1:1 only? If so you had better do some homework and re-think your responce here.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:14 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1997bird
To figure out if it can still run on pump gas you have to take into consideration his DCR, not just his SCR. The DCR determines if it can still run on pump gas. How do you KNOW that the vortec combution chamber design does or does not like that high of compression? The combution chamber is the same as the L98, LT1(cast iron & aluminum), and LT4 heads. Are you trying to tell us that the chambers work fine up to say 10.1:1 only? If so you had better do some homework and re-think your responce here.

Can you read?

Theres a LOT more to the detonation subject and theory than that. I'm not even gonna enlighten you here. There are reasons the other engines you listed don't detonate at higher compression ratios . You can figure that out as your homework.

LMAO off at you thinking its all about DCR when building a Carbed street engine.

BTW I think I know a bit about building carbed engines.

Last edited by The stunningman; 01-29-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

The Stunningman FTW. Glad to see some reality being posted in this thread.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

It's been a while since I ran the vortec's but you might be right on the timing issue but not as low as 26. I also was mixing with race fuel if you noticed earlier. As far as the 600, not much doing to it. Replaced the front metering block and put #76 jets, the rear can not be changed, added a 50cc pump and I don't remember which power valve I installed but it worked like a champ. Now remember I run a transbake at about 4000 rpm launch, foot brake would net 12.00's. If you wonder, yes I have done this to prove that most car are over carb'd. Good performers can be made with well studied combo's. I called Holley tech a few months ago because since I put the AFR's I feel it wouldn't fuel properly on top. He suggested not to mess with it since it was running this good. I didn't take his advice and am currently building a 750dp. I'm finally adding full length and will be installing a Kmember. As well as a vararam carb intake system and see if it don't run worse. Believe it or not it's all the same but these are actual accounts of my experience.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The stunningman
Can you read?

Theres a LOT more to the detonation subject and theory than that. I'm not even gonna enlighten you here. There are reasons the other engines you listed don't detonate at higher compression ratios . You can figure that out as your homework.

LMAO off at you thinking its all about DCR when building a Carbed street engine.

BTW I think I know a bit about building carbed engines.
Cool I'm glad that you think you know how to build a carbed motor. How many race engines do you build per month? I build 5-10 motors per month, so I have seen results with cast iron heads. You think that aluminum headed motors is my homework do you? I have been building race motors for 11 years now, I have been able to take smaller cubic inch motor's and out perform the competitor's large cubic inch motors. I have been able to do this by maximising the effeicency of the engine and putting my parts together for the application at hand. BTW if you are going to run more compression on cast iron heads the person has to buy higher octane gas. The vortec heads will work just fine at 11.3:1 or more with the proper fuel for the job. I dis-agree with your blanket theory about the heads!

Shane
Precision System's LLC
Old 01-29-2007, 05:26 PM
9 Second Club

Cool I'm glad that you think you know how to build a carbed motor. How many race engines do you build per month? I build 5-10 motors per month, so I have seen results with cast iron heads. You think that aluminum headed motors is my homework do you? I have been building race motors for 11 years now, I have been able to take smaller cubic inch motor's and out perform the competitor's large cubic inch motors. I have been able to do this by maximising the effeicency of the engine and putting my parts together for the application at hand. BTW if you are going to run more compression on cast iron heads the person has to buy higher octane gas. The vortec heads will work just fine at 11.3:1 or more with the proper fuel for the job. I dis-agree with your blanket theory about the heads!

Shane
Precision System's LLC

You just contradicted 80% of your initial post.

And you still have a lot more homework to do because that doesn't explain the caprice Iron headed engines ability. So continue to answer your own questions here.

What's even scarier is that you say you build all those race motors and made that initial post. Which means either you don't build race motors or can't read.
Or build race motors,can't read and do not understand what pump gas is. Either way thats sad.

Last edited by The stunningman; 01-29-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Hey STUBBYman, Dont talk....Please.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:33 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by moge11
Hey STUBBYman, Dont talk....Please.
Wow very original... when you don't have anything to argue..or aren't intelligent enough to make an arguement... throw something dumb out there like that.

You asked for a real world guess and I gave it to you. You would rather have some kid with the fantasia version of desktop dyno tell you you are going to have 450+ hp and run 118 mph.

110 mph is still good mph it just doesn't suit your wishes. I guess if you go down there and run 108 or below you won't be posting anymore or at least not the results.

Enjoy your trip out to the deer-skinning shack to finish porting on those heads.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

your making pointless posts. I would bet 1997bird knows more about topics like this than you. You obviously dont know as much as you say about vortecs....your posts show it. Not saying you dont know anything, but there are people here with more knowledge on the subject than you.
Cant think of anything intelligent to say or argue?.....No need to argue. And yeah I cant think of anything intelligent to say thats right. Because I went into retard mode after reading ur posts.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:16 PM
9 Second Club

edited.

Last edited by The stunningman; 01-29-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:24 PM
9 Second Club

your making pointless posts. I would bet 1997bird knows more about topics like this than you.

>> yet he is clearly backtracking .....okay.

You obviously dont know as much as you say about vortecs....your posts show it.

>>> enlighten me what I have stated that is not correct or true.

Not saying you dont know anything, but there are people here with more knowledge on the subject than you.

>> sure I don't deny there is always someone smarter,faster,stronger etc you 2 guys could even have rivals.

Cant think of anything intelligent to say or argue?.....No need to argue. And yeah I cant think of anything intelligent to say thats right. Because I went into retard mode after reading ur posts.

>>> theres another mode for you? Make some post in the other mode. I don't believe you.
------------------------------------------------------ on another note:

Was simply stating, that I am not an idiot and have the ability to learn. ...... Just clarifying that I am not a dumb*** and want to and have every intention of being good at this.....just letting you know that this isnt the first and only time......and for what its worth, I fukked up and didnt go to the university I should have to be a mech. engineer like I was told to.Thats why, come march, I am taking my job offer as bike tech. Starting a the bottom and working my way up.
your very persuasive.

Last edited by The stunningman; 01-29-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

for one, your post where you bitch about not being able to run 11:1 with pump gas....BadAssNovas.com, and Malibu2slow from nastyz28.com.
They are same as any other fastburn chambered head...aluminum or iron, it doesnt matter.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:27 PM
9 Second Club

for one, your post where you bitch about not being able to run 11:1 with pump gas....BadAssNovas.com, and Malibu2slow from nastyz28.com.
They are same as any other fastburn chambered head...aluminum or iron, it doesnt matter.

Another one that can't read..... page 3:

My post "you run PUMP gas with that kind of compression and VORTEC headed set-up?"

Aluminum or Iron it DOES matter also other variables.

Back to the skinning shack
Old 01-29-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, well, UH, UR a just mad cuz my backyard hillbilly junk is gonna be faster n ur High dollar stuff. durrrr. slack jaw... Whatever dude I aint arguin'. you just wanna be stubborn. yeah there's a lot variables, but anyone can get on here or read books, and ask around about how to deck a block, flattop, tight quench, polished chambers, 383ci 11:1, 93-94 octane motor.
and i am sure you will have something else stupid to post. I'm done...
Old 01-30-2007, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The stunningman
I would say that

#1 no way you ran that compression with vortecs on pump gas. It would not cut off without laying the timing back to 26 degrees or less. dieseling. Vortec chambers simply do not like that high of compression.
Since you seam to know all how did you come to this conclusion? As far as my initial posts I mis-read about it being a hydraulic roller cam not a hydraulic flat tappet cam. Go back to page 2 and you will see that my mistake was cleared up. The cast iron LT1 motors are a reverse flow cylinder head, the short block is almost the same as the L31 headed 97'+ vortec's. The piston's used on the L31 have a slight dish to them and the LT1's had a 4 valve relief flat top piston. The advantage of the reverse flow heads only has a slight advantage over your convetional Gen 1 SBC. Your point about DCR having no effect on being able to use pump gas is a a load of BS. Look at the Pump Gas Drags or Engine Master's Challenge for referances on what can be accomplished on pump gas. So far you have said that I know nothing but you haven't given one peice of usefull information to back up your claims. I encourage you to respond with some real knowledge to this thread.

P.S. I have a standing job offer with Erson Cams to be a tech advisor if I should ever want to sell my business and go work for them. That is not something offered to the average Joe off of the street who doesn't know anything about the internal combution engine.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:09 AM
9 Second Club

Since you seam to know all how did you come to this conclusion? As far as my initial posts I mis-read about it being a hydraulic roller cam not a hydraulic flat tappet cam. Go back to page 2 and you will see that my mistake was cleared up. The cast iron LT1 motors are a reverse flow cylinder head, the short block is almost the same as the L31 headed 97'+ vortec's. The piston's used on the L31 have a slight dish to them and the LT1's had a 4 valve relief flat top piston. The advantage of the reverse flow heads only has a slight advantage over your convetional Gen 1 SBC. Your point about DCR having no effect on being able to use pump gas is a a load of BS. Look at the Pump Gas Drags or Engine Master's Challenge for referances on what can be accomplished on pump gas. So far you have said that I know nothing but you haven't given one peice of usefull information to back up your claims. I encourage you to respond with some real knowledge to this thread.

P.S. I have a standing job offer with Erson Cams to be a tech advisor if I should ever want to sell my business and go work for them. That is not something offered to the average Joe off of the street who doesn't know anything about the internal combution engine.

I lead you to all your answers. I already knew them. Theres no need for me to tell you anything, I stated what was true.... and you disproved your own arguement.

I have better things to do than name drop bankrupt companies and my business.

LMAO at the engine masters reference in this thread. IRRELEVENT.

However it was slightly more amusing than using the DCR for the guys carbed engine.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

You lead me to nothing. I don't think that you have a clue, nor could you buy one. BTW Erson Cams is not a bankrupt company, Supershops that used to carry their products was the bankrupt company. I think that the Engine Masters Challenge is relevent, up until 2006 they weren't limited to 10.5:1 compression. They had been running 12.5:1 and even as high as 13.1:1 on aluminum headed engines. That being stated don't go thinking that the aluminum heads was the whole key. You can run about 1 full point more compression on aluminum heads than cast iron. Which still puts you into 11.1:1 capabilities on pump gas and cast heads with proper parts combinations. Again look into some of the engines built for the Pump Gas Drags.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:48 PM
9 Second Club

I think that the Engine Masters Challenge is relevent, up until 2006 they weren't limited to 10.5:1 compression. They had been running 12.5:1 and even as high as 13.1:1 on aluminum headed engines. That being stated don't go thinking that the aluminum heads was the whole key. You can run about 1 full point more compression on aluminum heads than cast iron. Which still puts you into 11.1:1 capabilities on pump gas and cast heads with proper parts combinations. Again look into some of the engines built for the Pump Gas Drags.

This has to do with vortec heads.....? I guarentee they aren't building 11.8 to 1 vortec headed engines to run on pump gas. Go buy a clue idiot.

Duh....on the extra point of compression for aluminum heads. You really are retarded.... I thought we had covered, that you could run more compression for aluminum heads.

Oh and newsflash the LT1's are reverse cooled so they can run more compression than "similar" Iron. But we already covered that too my alzheimer infested fiend. Or is mommy typing it out for you and she forgot it in her notes?

BTW I don't believe a word of what you type. Anyone can come on and say.." I build race engines and a company like Erson wants to hire me." Does that make it true. Most people that really know wtf they are talking about don't tell everything and sure as hell don't have to resort to your lame story-telling. Sorry guy

If you must drag this on.... do this tard:

Find me one example of a 11 to 1 vortec headed engine running straight pump gas....and don't bother posting again until you find it....

Last edited by The stunningman; 01-30-2007 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts

I see Vortec headed L-98's with Card maniflods run low 12's all day long. Now u have some head work done and some cubes i think 350 wheel is not to much to ask! Now put in an stalled auto and run some 11's!

Quick Reply: Vortec 350ci..11's?? 350+rwhp?? Lets hear it.