Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

2000 Camaro with sbc

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007 | 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default 2000 Camaro with sbc

I got a 2000 camaro with an ls1...I wanted to see if anyone made a conversion mount to keep the ls1 k member and put in an sbc...I know people switch to Lt1 k members I just thought id ask...
Old 02-02-2007 | 06:42 AM
TECH Regular

It doesn't matter on the K-member its the motor mounts that matter. The SBC/BBC K-member will work for all 4th gens.
Old 02-02-2007 | 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cwaldt
It doesn't matter on the K-member its the motor mounts that matter. The SBC/BBC K-member will work for all 4th gens.
im talking about a stock K member though, not a tubular one...
I thought most people put a 93-97 K member in if they wanted a sbc in their 98-02 Fbody?
Old 02-02-2007 | 11:07 AM
TECH Regular

I tried to make a stock k-member work before I went the tubular route. I was able to get the motor and headers in but it set 2" too far back. Also there was no way to put the steering linkage in. Its just not worth the time, money and headache to make the stock k-member work. I tried and finally realize that I couldn't make it work.
Old 02-02-2007 | 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I see you have the BMR, do you run the BMR mounts or motor plate?
I always heard Tubular K members with Mounts as oposed to motor plates, with too much street use develop cracks?Any problems with that...
Also did you switch to manual steering or stay power?
What did you do for a gearbox and or brackets if you stayed power?
Old 02-05-2007 | 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ls1LikeNoOther
I see you have the BMR, do you run the BMR mounts or motor plate?
I always heard Tubular K members with Mounts as oposed to motor plates, with too much street use develop cracks?Any problems with that...
Also did you switch to manual steering or stay power?
What did you do for a gearbox and or brackets if you stayed power?

Can anyone answer these questions...
Also will tall valve covers clear power brakes?
Old 02-05-2007 | 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

Haven't been online all weekend. I've been putting alot of hours in the car. Getting the 9" installed and making the 325's fit.

#1 I used the mounts that came with the BMR K-member. They bolt up to the block like solid mounts but the have a poly bushing down at the k-member.

#2 Motor plates and street driving would be a big no no to me. I'll just keep an eye on the k-member and if I see any problems develop I'll fix them. I haven't heard of people having trouble with the BMR piece.

#3 I'm looking at power steering. I've got everything to do it. I've just got to get two hoses made to hook the power steering pump up to the factory rack. I may go without power steering if I don't like the way it sets up and depending on how much room I lose under the hood. I'm running skinny's on the front so I could go without it if I wanted.

#4 I'm using a 70's style power steering pump. Its mounts on the top/ drivers side of the engine. Right about the inlets for the steering rack. There isn't anything special that I had to do to get this to fit. I'll probably loop my factory rack and just see if I can handle it without power steering before I decide to go either way.
Old 02-05-2007 | 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Trying to arm strong it will be a major pain in the butt. We tried that on my friends 97 SS and he said turning off of the track to go back to the pit really sucked. He is a pretty big and strong guy, FYI.
Old 02-05-2007 | 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

I do that everyday in my DD Ranger. It doesn't have power steering. Plus I'm running skinnys so that should help.
Old 02-05-2007 | 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

A looped power steering is 10X harder than a manual steering box..Im sure you know that, but I was just saying...

So you used regular like 1970 Chevelle power steering brackets and pump?Hmm
Ok well this swap will go much easier than I thought..

Also how much hood clearance can be expected with a Victor Sr intake on a standard height SBC? Cowl hood needed?