Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Trying to find out what I have??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007 | 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

Default Trying to find out what I have??

Ok, I dont really know where to start or if there is any way I can find out. I basically want to know about the build, the block/pistons/CR/ rods and how far I could push the forged internals and all, just the basics to see which route I want to take my car etc..

Here it goes(may be a tad long)

I have a 72 Chevelle w/a 383 stroker. I bought the car from a friend. He had his engine built at a shop in Cali by the name of Larry's Performance Shop. It says on the invoice ofcourse its a 383/4-bolt/ w/stage 2 connecting rods. I know it didnt come with lifters or a cam. Also my friend said it was forged. I know this isnt telling you guys much ofcourse, but basically I called the shop to see what they could tell me. The motor was built back in Sep of 01 so basically the guy told me he couldnt help me and he didnt know. I asked him if the motors are built differently now and he said yes. I dont know if this is the owner of the sop so I was comtemplating calling back and asking to speak with the owner.

What do you guys think I should do? I know now that the shop uses Keith Black pistons? Are these good pistons?
Old 02-03-2007 | 02:16 PM
Launching!

Keith blacks are good, there nothing all out but a good step over a stock set of pistons. I dont recall them to be forged.. but they are heat treated. and ive seen them in 3 diff makes, a flat top,domed, and inverted dome if you can figure out what set you have it may give you an idea of your compression ratio. But youll need to figure out what kind of heads you have as well, As far as stage 2 rods... im lost there. that stage 1 stage 2 thing really annoys me. it never tells anyone anything IMO, they may be nice
H-beam rods, or just an aftermarket set of I-Beams to acheive the extra stroke. Its gonna be hard to figure out what youve got without tearing it all down,
Old 02-05-2007 | 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

sounds like time to tear down or run the **** out of it. you will never know til YOU know