Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

GEN VI Big block questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GEN VI Big block questions

i was looking on sdpc website and seen they sell a gmpp 454 block for a little over 1k. I was wondering what is different about this block compared to mark iv. I read somewhere that valvetrain is different and of course 1 pc seal crank. If i run solid roller do i have to run the factoy spider lifter retainer? Is it worth it to build gen vi or more trouble than it's worth? Any info would be appreciated.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:42 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

I've seen 1-2. They ended up not happy. Mark IV stuff is much more popular in my group of buddies. Everything we have laying around fits. I think I heard oil pan's won't fit either. No expert, just what I've seen & heard.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:25 AM
TECH Veteran

A buddy of mine has a VI in his boat. The oil pan is different for sure. I believe you can run the factory spider with different roller cams if your new lifters are the same style as the stockers. They have to have some type of device to keep them square in the bores anyway. The IV engines are common, so parts are easier to find.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Teching In

I built my 496 from a new Gen VI block and it was a piece of cake. The block is already set up for roller lifters. If you use the factory GM lifters then you need to use the spider plate. Most info says the limit these lifters can handle is about .570 lift. I went with an Isky solid roller with .680 lift and used their Red Zone lifters with the tie bar and no spider plate. Mark VI,V,VI and any after market head will fit this block. The main differences in the Gen VI vs the Mark IV is that it has a one piece rear main seal, a six bolt timing chain cover (as opposed to a ten bolt), a different oil pan with a one piece seal, and the cam has a stepped nose that a retainer plate fits over and keeps it from coming out. Isky made me a cam with the stepped nose for no additional cost. The Gen VI also has a much better oiling system than the Mark 4. Also has oil cooler bosses already in place, a mechanical fuel pump boss, and Z-bar holes for manual trannys. I have a set of new GM roller lifters and Spider Bar with the dog bone retainers that I will give to you for the price of shipping if you need them. Other than the differences I have mentioned, everything else from the Mark IV to the Gen VI is interchangeable.
If you have any other questions feel free to e-mail me at ph0396@yahoo.com. I built mine from the bare block up.

patrick

Quick Reply: GEN VI Big block questions