Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

building a vortec 350 for a 3rd gen, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 05:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default building a vortec 350 for a 3rd gen, need some advice

Hey guys, i dont post on here usually but i will be doing it a lot more here soon due to the build i'm starting. I just picked up a 89 RS with a built trans and rear, but it has a blown up 305 in it, I'm wanting to put a vortec 350 in it b/c i found one that has pretty decent miles for pretty cheap and I was also inspired by a article in Popular Hot Rodding called Project Sledgehammer where they made 447 HP on a engine dyno with a tight budget. Anyways I'm actually building this car for a friend in the military but he doesnt know about it. I know he'd like to have some good power but i want the car to be streetable for him as well. I'm wondering what heads, cam and intake I should put on the car, I'd like to keep the cost down as much as possible, but I was flipping through my SDPC catalog and i think i can afford some pretty decent stuff for this motor. I was thinking about getting the GM bowtie vortec heads in the 185CC version considering that I think the 215CC versions are probally too big for what I'm looking to do. Does anyone have any experience with these heads and are there anything out there that is better for the money(the only problem I see with them is that the springs that come on them are only good up to .530 lift) I also was eyeing the Edelbrock E-tec heads. Does anyone know what size cam I should get. I'd like it to have a nice lopey idle and make some good power like I said, but he's gotta be able to drive this thing. Any other suggestions are appreciated, I need some more info on a intake and carb setup also. Thanks for your help, I dont know much about these older motors so I needed to ask.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:01 AM
TECH Regular

All of the Vortec style intakes have ports to match the stock cyl head ports 170cc...Therefore it makes sense to stay with that size head. Doing big Etec 200's or 215s is a bad route. I'd stick with a set of modified stock heads. Modified as far as valvejob/pocket port/springs for .550" and do a streetable hyd. roller cam. That sledgehammer made 447hp with a 224/224 cam if I recall which is VERY tame. If you feel putting money into stock heads sucks, do E-tec 170's and find the best way to up the compression ratio a full point. Thinner gasket is easiest i believe but check for piston to valve clearance. 10.5:1-11:1 compression should work well with pump gas and alum. heads and a Hotcam. I'd shoot for a cam like the GM LT4 hotcam, cheap and sounds good. 218/228, go with 1.6 rockers. RPM air gap intake. That combo should rev hard to 5800-6000.

SDPC can set you right up with ALL of that stuff, just make sure the springs can handle the lift for the cam you pick, they should steer you in the right direction whether stock heads or not. I'm not sure what headers are good on a budget. My headman shorties sucked, SLP's were $500+ and fit great, my Hooker LT's were 600+ and needed a-arm clearancing, etc. Should be great for 400+hp on the cheap, goodluck and you must have a hell of a friend!
Old 07-18-2007, 07:32 AM
Launching!

i didnt know the LT1 style cams would be able to work for this engine,that kinda opens things up a bit,i've decided i'm going with the bowtie vortecs with the 185cc,would this be alright or should i just go with a set of stock vortecs, with the upgraded springs
Old 07-19-2007, 05:09 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Depends on your quwst in power, a stock set of vortecs with a 220 224 duration cam have made 425 hp and 458 tq, so if you are looking at more power then use bigger 185s, the stock 170 will onlt be good for 6000 rpm, if you want more scream then you need a bigger cam and the bigger heads.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

SDPC2000.com shows 175 and 206cc Bowtie Vortecs. I'd stick with modded stockers which they can accomodate along with intake/and the other jazz that bolts up top. Check them out.

Head/Intake Kit: Modded for .575" lift springs http://www.sdparts.com/product/SD806...RPMAirGap.aspx

Hotcam Kit: Cam/Springs, rockers, : http://www.sdparts.com/product/24502...rCamshaft.aspx

1.6 roller rocker arms compliment the cam and make it larger and slightly more aggressive also. GM's are $320, Comp Pro Mags are 275: http://www.sdparts.com/product/CC130...ockerArms.aspx

Quick Reply: building a vortec 350 for a 3rd gen, need some advice