Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Trying to ID SBC parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to ID SBC parts

I bought a nice Monte Carlo 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately the guy didn't build the engine and doesn't know much about the specifics of the engine. I am told it is a 383 Stroker but how can I tell for sure. See, I don't know if it has a stock GM crank that has been turned down, or an aftermarket crank. It defininately is a 350 block, but which is externally balanced? 350, or 400? I believe some stroker cranks use the 350 balancer, am I correct? It has a Fluid Dampr Street Dampr on it, but I don't know if it is for a 350 crank or a 400. Also, is the crank pulley bolt pattern different for 350 and 400? Maybe this could start to help me figure out what I have. I plan on tearing it down this winter to paint it and change the oil pan to a deep sump so, I'll learn alot then. Just trying to get a jump.

Also I took one of the valve covers off tonight to verify some other items I was told. It does have Crane Gold 7/16" Roller rockers and a stud girdle. Looking at the different ones available I don't know if they are 1.5 or 1.6. And, I don't know if these are the WIDE or standard. These measure 1 3/8" wide on the GOLD rocker width, not including the fulcrum shaft which sticks out wider. I assume these are 1.5, because I have 65cc World Product Motown angle heads( I have verified this), flat top pistons, and one NASTY cam. I am told it is a solid roller. I had NO lash, which makes me think it is hydraulic, but he reassured me tonight it was solid, and just must be too tight. Anyway, the cam is real radical(again, no specs) it has a vacuum canister, and the brakes still sometimes are not vacuum assisted. Since the pistons are supposedly flat top, and I know I have 65cc, and I am positive the cam is large, that leaves to believe the rockers are 1.5. I plan on getting a dial indicator to check the lobe lifts and maybe try to figure out the cam. I will also check the valve movement to see what the ratio is. Mainly I was wondering about the WIDE or not, but got spun off telling other items. I just like to be very descriptive so, you guys could give better specific ideas and tips. I know how some of the people on these forums are, LOL. WAY too vague! Thanks in advance
Old 05-11-2008, 11:38 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

If there is no stamping on the rockers, i would assume 1.5s. The ballancer patter to bolt a pulley on is the same, the 400 is externally ballanced unless somone was smart and had it internally ballanced, verry common to do so. The cam...sounds like if it has a radical idle it is A) solid roller B) A HUGE hydraulic. The indicator will let you figgure out lift easily, i dont know about figguring duration and LSA. Good luck with it.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slone56
...I had NO lash, which makes me think it is hydraulic, but he reassured me tonight it was solid, and just must be too tight....
This is a problem. You need to know for sure what type of lifters you have. If you are running a solid lift setup with zero lash, you will likely damage your valve seats and will be bleeding off power. If it is running well with zero lash, you must have a hydraulic valvetrain.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Teching In

It does run EXTREMELY well, I assumed hydraulic lifters were installed too. Then I talked to the previous owner, who is an avid drag racer(he also teaches JR. dragster classes in PA.), and he said he knows for sure they are solid. How he knows? Beats me. He told me without a doubt and without any hesitation. I set number 1 intake to .020, like he recommends. I thought about idling the engine for a few minutes to see if that lifter pumps up, or if the lash stays the same. Good idea or bad? Plus if it is hyd., should there be any "spring action" in the lifter while pushing down on the pushrod?
Old 05-12-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

yes there should be some movement in the lifter after oil pressure drops if it is hydraulic. on the damper, if it is a stroker crank and not internally balanced, then it will have a counter-balanced damper. this means it will not be perfectly round but will have a section "missing" or an additional weight but the damper i saw has the "missing" cut-out. here is the link to the pic. http://janesville.craigslist.org/pts/661590562.html
Old 05-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Ok, thanks for the reply. I do believe that it is internally balanced, I do know how to tell, i just haven't looked real good yet. I didn't know which one was internally, but I found out it is a 350, OEM atleast. I will try to "spring" the lifter down when I get time. What about starting it with #1 intake at .020 to see if the lifter pumps it back to zero? Good idea or bad? I don't see any harm in it, just wanted your opinions. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Trying to ID SBC parts