Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

more power with what I got

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default more power with what I got

I have a dirt track car that I am trying to get the most out of what I got in the motor can anyone tell me if there is something I could do to get a few more ponys with out changing heads. I have 355 with 150 dome pistons 041 heads shaved .20 thous .500 lift cam holly 750 carb with stock intake and 1.5 roller rockers. Would a intake help much and is there anyother things I could do? Would 1.6 rockers on the intake side help any?
Old 07-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what intake do you have on there now? A performer RPM would help. 1.6 rockers also would give some power but I would do both, exhaust and intake.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've read a lot of dyno tests where 1.6 rockers vs 1.5 usually show an increase,
a velocity stack on the carb, and an intake manifold almost definitely.
and if it's a stock holley there are small benchtop tweaks you can usually do that may help like filing down the butterfly screws and shafts so there is less blockage in the throat area of the carb, and putting knife edges on the butterflies... whether this is a significant gain I don't know but it is commonly stated info in books & articles. and i don't remember off the top of my head but changing out the boosters might be possible and give you more top end power but would sacrifice low end performance.
and you said without changing heads, but what about port work on your current heads?

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...ech/index.html

Last edited by 1 FMF; 07-22-2008 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply: more power with what I got