Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Let's get back to the new orleans greasy talk!! 101

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People with 10 second race cars always want to preach to everyone about the track. The truth of the matter is the track is way too long of a drive for me to click of some 12-13 sec. passes. On the street you never know what someone really runs but you can find out for a few dollaz. If you feel like the track is for you, by all means be my guess, but to me and obviously many others the street is whats up.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Auto Zone Slimm
People with 10 second race cars always want to preach to everyone about the track. The truth of the matter is the track is way too long of a drive for me to click of some 12-13 sec. passes. On the street you never know what someone really runs but you can find out for a few dollaz. If you feel like the track is for you, by all means be my guess, but to me and obviously many others the street is whats up.
By the way its a 10 second street car still street legal. I how ever stoped street racing 4 years ago with the birth of my son. He means more to me than a few hundred bucks on the street. It would be different if yall just went out there did what had to do and be done with it. Here is one that i have as an example. This was in daylight on haynes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TRqLDSZR-Q
If you seen the video that a buddy of mine has this mustang came very close
to hitting several people and a car on the levee. This was on a perfectly dry sunny day.
The problem is there is to big of a crowd and not every one is on the same page while all of this is going down. On another note if enough people around here could get the politicans to get there head out of there asses, we would have a track closer.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

About getting a track down here...... That will never happen. The old autoparts store that was on Elysian Fields and Filmore by the Lawrence's bakery had a petition signed going out to all politicians that we wanted a track down here and Sherman Copelin was pushing it because he had the land in the Almonaster area to sell to put a track. We talked to Pat Swilling the old Saints player turned representative about a track and he said the only way that will happen if a person does that out of their pocket, no help will come of the state or city for it.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
About getting a track down here...... That will never happen. The old autoparts store that was on Elysian Fields and Filmore by the Lawrence's bakery had a petition signed going out to all politicians that we wanted a track down here and Sherman Copelin was pushing it because he had the land in the Almonaster area to sell to put a track. We talked to Pat Swilling the old Saints player turned representative about a track and he said the only way that will happen if a person does that out of their pocket, no help will come of the state or city for it.
we need to find someone like pat at no problem that has some money to build a nhra track.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

Doesn't even need to be NHRA sanctioned. It just needs to be 2 mile long lanes of pavement with side barriers and a christmass tree, with timers built into the track. Don't need concessions, don't need a clubhouse, don't even need an announcer. Just need some one at the entrance to collect $10 from everyone and hand out waivers. The track can be set to automatic on the tree, and have one guy watch to shut it down in case of an accident.

Grass roots drag strips are all over the place in the country. They all have one rule in common, run at your own risk.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 AM
Launching!

Thats the same as haynes minus the $10 part. Race at your own risk & dont do anything stupid and everything wll be ok.

The only reason that happened the other day is because of dew on the track & high horsepower cars. If he was at the track the same thing would have happened except he would have hit the wall a few times.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ls1pwrdss
we need to find someone like pat at no problem that has some money to build a nhra track.
You don't need to find someone like him. You need to find a group of investors like John Hebert that has that 9 sec zo6 that runs the trans shop on the westbank and a couple of other guys that have a little money like him and do a business plan and present it to a financial institution for a loan. If the track costs lets say 5 million to build,you would need 1 to 2 million upfront to get the rest from the bank or financial institution you go to. You have to show the bank you have interest in what you want by doing all what I said above.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Master8ter
Doesn't even need to be NHRA sanctioned. It just needs to be 2 mile long lanes of pavement with side barriers and a christmass tree, with timers built into the track. Don't need concessions, don't need a clubhouse, don't even need an announcer. Just need some one at the entrance to collect $10 from everyone and hand out waivers. The track can be set to automatic on the tree, and have one guy watch to shut it down in case of an accident.

Grass roots drag strips are all over the place in the country. They all have one rule in common, run at your own risk.
I feel your pain and yes it does not have to be NHRA sactioned but with that grassroots thing the first time somebody gets loose or hits the wall they are going to want to sue and say bye-bye to your track. No insurance company will insure any type of track that is made grass roots style.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Auto Zone Slimm
Thats the same as haynes minus the $10 part. Race at your own risk & dont do anything stupid and everything wll be ok.

The only reason that happened the other day is because of dew on the track & high horsepower cars. If he was at the track the same thing would have happened except he would have hit the wall a few times.
Trust me I love street racing just as much as all of you that do it,but some of us can't street race because everything sometimes does not turn out alright. ls1pwrdss chooses not to because of his family, I have not given it up completely but I don't do it as much because if I get caught I lose my job. I need my license to drive for my company. There is always a risk. If you don't want to take that risk don't come out there.

True to what you said if it was at the track he would of just hit the wall a couple of times. Then after he would put it on the trailer and go home. On the street what if there was no levee and people were standing there? There would be NOPD and he would be going to jail for vehicular homicide and families would be ruined.

I will be in the street racing scene til I die but just use your head and don't put yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or if you choose to don't come at all to avoid all the risk
Old 01-06-2009, 09:08 AM
12 Second Club

Default track

Ya Junk build us a track, your drive way is about that long.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KH504
Ya Junk build us a track, your drive way is about that long.
No man, my driveway is only 1/8th mi long

Your gonna need more than just me and a 9sec vette to make a track happen here.
1st - It will make no money (I'm out)
2nd- N.O. politics involvement (I'm out)
3rd - Did I mention it won't make money?

Now, would I pay $50.00 to "test-n-tune" at a "track" in N.O. east? U damn well better believe I would, but not enough people will. And, without a state of the art track that has the capability of producing record e/t and mph for race cars (read: NO PROBLEM) it just won't attract NHRA, IHRA, or any other race promoter.The best we could hope for would be grudge racing sponsored by HOOTERS and VISIONS

Lastly, if I had the money ya'll think I got, the ZR1 would be parked next to the lambo right now and I would have no time to build Zs and transmissions
Old 01-06-2009, 10:48 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sigforty
Tell him to convert it to an auto. I just saw a video of a ragin racin car at NPR do a 9 sec pass. It was cam, vortech and a few other items on the car. I remember them saying the car was converted to an auto.

That's my car

We'll be running at No Problem Raceway tomorrow night.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bad ZO6
That's my car

Welcome my brother, only a handful of us right now, but auto C6Zs are gonna catch on like a SARS epidemic
Old 01-07-2009, 09:50 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bad ZO6
That's my car

Nice!! I am too the point where I need to convert my car to an auto for dragging, but I just like the 6 speed too much. So I just plan on giving up going for the best times, and just having fun.

Are you going for the Vette Viper race in March?
Old 01-07-2009, 09:54 AM
9 Second Club

Thought i'd miss the 6 speed too but I fell in love with this automatic. Car drives like a dream on the street and my wife can even drive the car now. Probably not such a good thing

Didn't know about the Vette/Viper thing. Will definitely try to make it.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Hey Junk any word on what happen with the red 1996 corvette .. saw the car headed out of new orleans with slick's on it looked good ..so it's not a trailer car that was one thing i heard BIG RACE or what junk ?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CATBURGLAR81
Hey Junk any word on what happen with the red 1996 corvette .. saw the car headed out of new orleans with slick's on it looked good ..so it's not a trailer car that was one thing i heard BIG RACE or what junk ?
Red car was mine years ago, slicks are still mine He was going to the track w/ kh504 and BAD Z06. Bad Z06s 1st pass tonight was 9.90 at no problem. The car is almost there, another C6Z firmly into the 9s, and eveybody drives to the track. Might be there myself fri night if I get some stuff done around the shop by then
Old 01-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Default Ooooo junk

ZO6 THAT RUN 9.90 DAM THAT'S NICE AND ABLE TO DRIVE TO THE TRACK AND BACK HOME ..KH504 AND YOUR OLD VETTE HOW DID THEY DO ? TWO TEAM MEMBERS RACING ? OK YOU WANT TELL ABOUT THEM RIGHT JUNK.............
Old 01-07-2009, 11:03 PM
9 Second Club

Was a great night at the track with some consistent 9.9's and my best 60 ft ever. Wish I could meet you there Friday night Junk but will probably catch you the following Friday.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:02 AM
10 Second Club

Pretty consistant man