Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Emissions in Georgia

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Emissions in Georgia

I was just curious if anyone knew of any emissions testing places that are, um...kind of laid back? I live in Buford, Georgia (Hall county, not Gwinnett) so I don't have emission-testing just yet. I have heard some rumors that Hall county will be starting to test in 2007. My SS is completely stock as of now, but by then, I highly doubt I could pass any kind of test. I'm planning on running long-tubes and a true-dual system with no cats. So if you have any friends in the business that may be willing to help a brother out, please let me know. Of course, I am in no rush what-so-ever since it will be a year or so until I should worry about it... If you don't feel comfortable posting the name of the shop on here, feel free to PM me.
Thanks for your help!
-Tyler
Old 03-20-2006, 03:54 PM
Banned

Even if your county does start emissions testing you don't have to worry about not having cats. You have an OBD II car so they just plug in the diagnostic checker in the port under your dash. As long as you don't have the "sevice engine soon" lit up on your dash you'll pass. They don't even do the visual converter check unless you have a OBD I car built before mid 1995.

If you have a OBD I car they do the visual and put it on the rollers with the sniffer. They don't care about having the "check engine light" on OBD I cars.

If you have OBD II they don't care about cats or sniffer test, they only care if your "check engine light" is on and you have codes in the system.

Stupid huh?
Old 03-20-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
As long as you don't have the "sevice engine soon" lit up on your dash you'll pass.
That isn't always the case, but usually is.

You can still fail if components read 'not ready' in the scan, and you can also have codes that do not set an ses light.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by infinitebird
That isn't always the case, but usually is.

You can still fail if components read 'not ready' in the scan, and you can also have codes that do not set an ses light.
That's a technicality I didn't want to explain. (He probably would've known about the readiness if he had somebody turn off the codes.) As long as he doesn't have a "check engine light" on he should be fine.

Unless he had the light on and had somebody with LS1edit or hptuners who turned of the code(s) but didn't have it report to the mill the "readiness" wouldn't reset and it would fail even if the light wasn't on. This is a whole different can of worms. -Joshua
Old 03-20-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what they said, as long as you get any codes deleted(ls1edit or hptuners) you should be able to pass just fine. ive never had someone even begin to do a visual...just more work for them
Old 03-20-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Even if your county does start emissions testing you don't have to worry about not having cats. You have an OBD II car so they just plug in the diagnostic checker in the port under your dash. As long as you don't have the "sevice engine soon" lit up on your dash you'll pass. They don't even do the visual converter check unless you have a OBD I car built before mid 1995.

If you have a OBD I car they do the visual and put it on the rollers with the sniffer. They don't care about having the "check engine light" on OBD I cars.

If you have OBD II they don't care about cats or sniffer test, they only care if your "check engine light" is on and you have codes in the system.

Stupid huh?

Just a footnote, the EPD has "learned" that there are items like 02 sims out there and in the near future Ga. MAY start to have a visual for cats on OBDII cars get ready to weld on some "clam shell"looking deals to your ORY pipe
Old 03-20-2006, 07:45 PM
TECH Junkie

The rumors are spreading.. i also live in buford (hall side) and ive heard about emissions in 07 as well. Im going to gut my cats, this might be your best bet.

now i know who drives the ss around here, lol. I live off Ridge Rd. right off Hamilton mill in Jones Creek sub. Where are you at, ive seen you around before.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Stupid huh?
Well that changes my entire outlook on this. I had no idea about that since I have never actually had emissions testing done on any car I or my parents have owned. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSlow 4.8
The rumors are spreading.. i also live in buford (hall side) and ive heard about emissions in 07 as well. Im going to gut my cats, this might be your best bet.

now i know who drives the ss around here, lol. I live off Ridge Rd. right off Hamilton mill in Jones Creek sub. Where are you at, ive seen you around before.
It's more than likely me. Does the guy driving it have long hair? I'm a shaggy little guy I guess you could say I have yet to see another SS around here...makes me feel special And next time you see it, if it has Texas plates, than it is definitely me. I bought the car from Texas and haven't transfered everything over just yet.

Familiar with Shoal Creek at all? Shadburn Ferry and Buford Dam? I live at the end of Shadburn Ferry close to the Shoal Creek boat ramp and campgrounds.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

ya i know where that is, i'll get your attention next time i see ya.

you going to G10 this year?
Old 03-20-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

ya i know where that is, i'll get your attention next time i see ya.

you going to G10 this year?
I will be honest and say that I don't even know what that is I am just now stepping into the LS1 scene and stepping out of the Mustang scene. Perhaps you have seen my Mustang cruisin' around as well? I just sold it to buy my SS.

But yeah, I'm really into cars and love going to car shows, Commerce, and just cruisin' around. If you've got any info to pass along, I will try my best to make it there!
Old 03-20-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by spazzyfry123
I will be honest and say that I don't even know what that is I am just now stepping into the LS1 scene and stepping out of the Mustang scene.
http://fbodygathering.net

about the most serious 'LS1 scene' you will ever see.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Junkie

ya, theres the link above. the G10 is "Gathering 10" the 10th F-body gathering. Ive never been... well bc i drive the truck. But ive been looking for ppl to go with. I saw that mustang a few times i beleive last summer... top was down when i saw it. I remember the wheels and calipers painted. I think it was on 20 by the mall of ga maybe? and maybe once on p'tree indus.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

ya, theres the link above. the G10 is "Gathering 10" the 10th F-body gathering. Ive never been... well bc i drive the truck. But ive been looking for ppl to go with. I saw that mustang a few times i beleive last summer... top was down when i saw it. I remember the wheels and calipers painted. I think it was on 20 by the mall of ga maybe? and maybe once on p'tree indus.
Yeah, that was me. I'm always cruising around those areas just to waste some time. I always rode with the top down unless the storm outside had a name. And I painted my calipers red during a spare weekend.

This G-10 thing sounds pretty cool! It definitely sounds like something I would like to do. I will need to get my schedule figured out first to know for sure if I can go or not, but I think my father and I would really enjoy it.

The locations seem very vague, however. The only thing that appears to just flat out say where it is, is the Varsity and the hotel. From my understanding, everything is taking place at the hotel???

Last edited by spazzyfry123; 03-21-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

you got it, we basically take over the marriot hotel on windy hill road. the entire back side of the hotel is lined w/ fbodies and vettes. the first night is a cruise the GMMG performance shop and then there are other events like the varsity cruise. i guess they figured since most out of towners need hotel rooms anyway what better place to have the show than the hotel itself
Old 03-23-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Well maybe I won't be going...

Read my other thread to see why:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...41#post4477541
Old 03-23-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

beat his *** seabass.

then hand him to the cops and let them have a go at it
Old 03-24-2006, 01:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by spazzyfry123
Well maybe I won't be going...

Read my other thread to see why:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...41#post4477541
dammit, why do people have to be such idiots?!

Another ******* smashed up my car just last week.

Good job finding the ***** though, make sure he pays.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

hey... where do you go to school at spaz? Buford, North Gwin? If its buford, I bet I can find someone who saw it happen... there was no lense glass or anything left by the other vehicle... it might have been high enough to have been the bumper of a truck.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Hey guy's, I just wanted to chime in on the question about emisions here in georgia. I gutted out the cats on my Z28 and passed the emissions test because I installed 02 sims that trick the computer into thinking there are still cats on the car, hence no check engine light. But this is a Warning to anyone that lives in metro Atlanta, I just saw my first Mobile emissions tester this week in cherokee county on a 575 entrance ramp. If you don't know what this is, it is a laser type tester of vehicle emissions that can be set up anywhere at any time. The laser is pointed at a vehicle's exhaust gases as it drives by and the laser beam only gets tripped by pollutants from a vehicle that has no catalytic converters. I think the DOT will usually use an onramp to a highway for the test because 1)once you turn on to one it is to late to turn around 2)most people are accelerating harder on a onramp so there is more vehicle exhaust for the laser to read. Just so you know what to look for, there will be orange cones on each side of the road making a single lane, then at the end of the cones you will see a van on the side of the road then you will see two lasers pointed at each other about two feet off the ground and a camera on a stand will be facing down the road to take a snap shot of your plate if you fail the test. My car would fail this test. From what I have read, one way to cheat the test is to turn you car off and coast through the laser beam, it would work but you would have to be able to react fast and it could be dangerous. Anyway good luck.

Quick Reply: Emissions in Georgia