Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

One Less Hardtop SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default One Less Hardtop SS

Well from the title, I guess you can guess what happened. I just got back from the hospital from a pretty gnarly wreck. Here's what happened:
School just let out and I was headed to a friend's house with really shitty conditions (a pretty constant rain, but everything was still visible). I was on Peachtree Industrial going about 50 when I hit a puddle and started hydroplaning towards opposite traffic. I began to counter-steer and then I noticed I was headed right for one of these giant metal telephone poles that are about 5 feet in diameter (not to mention the semi that I missed a head-on with by about 20 feet or so). I told myself that this was going to be bad if I went head-on, so I then turned the wheel the way I was spinning to go ahead and nail it from the rear...Good thing I did. When I hit, none of the airbags went off (keep in mind I was going about 50), and my seatbelt assembly just snapped. What I mean by that is that when I came to my senses, the metal thing that goes into the clicker was no where to be found...it just blew off the belt. Also, my seat just completely collapsed and I was lying down. To give you an idea of how hard I hit this pole; all of the air-conditioning vent things just blew out, all of the dash and radio flew out of the car, I was holding on to the steering wheel so hard that I bent the top half of it at a 90* angle (which I bent back up after hitting it from being pissed off), the rear and passenger side glass shattered, everything flew out of my glove box, the spokes of the right rear wheel completely disconnected from the rim, and these are all just things that I noticed as I waited for the ambulance to show up. I never actually got to see my car because I couldn't move, I'll explain that in a second...My dad is going by the place that took my car tomorrow to take pictures and I'll post them up.
As for me, as some of you know, I had a pretty horrific experience with a back surgery a couple months ago. So after the crash, I could not feel my legs nor move them so I automatically thought I was paralyzed. Luckily, during the ambulance ride to the hospital, I regained movement and feeling in both of my legs. The only damages that I have from this experience is some pretty wicked whiplash, a few bruises here and there, a knot next to my left eye, and a piece of glass went into my right eye and cut it up nicely. They thought I broke my neck so I had to wear one of those neck collar things for a few hours and I was strapped down to a plastic board thing for a few hours thinking that I fucked up my spinal surgery and that my neck was broken. But after some X-rays, everything showed up fine and I was released from the hospital and am at home right now.
As for the car, I know the insurance company isn't going to give us near what the car was worth and we are more than likely going to buy it back (maybe put the motor in our Jeep or another project car) and part out stuff. Probably the only parts that are going to be able to sell is stuff in front of the firewall and maybe some drive train parts considering the front of the car still looks brand new. So if anyone needs any parts with very, very low miles on them (whole car has less than 20K miles on it other than the rear end which probably has about 12K or 13K), I'll let y'all know if we do buy it back.
Pictures should be up tomorrow or the next.
Only thing I do know for sure is that I'm thanking the big guy upstairs. Because I definitely should not be alive after realizing the severity of the accident I just had. I am pleased to know that I am not being cited for anything since I had witnesses tell the police that I was not driving fast or like an idiot...It was just those 315's out back that made me lose control.
As for a new vehicle...I don't know. I'll just have to figure that out eventually. Realistically, how much do y'all think the insurance company will give me for the car ('99 SS with ~19.5K miles on it)? That's what is depending on what I'll get next. I'm thinking of maybe a Silverado (not the brand new ones, but the ones with the "angry eyebrow" headlights) single cab and just slam it on the ground with some nice wheels.
But yeah, I just thought I would let y'all know. I'm more pissed off than anything because I wasn't doing anything wrong...it was just my luck. So please don't give me crap about a young guy in a badass car. It wasn't my fault in the least.

Damn I loved that car...More than life itself.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well glad you came out of this ok man. You can always replace that car.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fastmatt98
Well glad you came out of this ok man. You can always replace that car.
Well not exactly. Someone told me that was the only 1999 black hardtop SS made. And I doubt I'll ever find another SS that was as clean as mine. Damn thing was PERFECT. But you're right though...only one of me and a zillion cars out there...Still sad
Old 02-14-2007, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm Glad to hear that you came through safe and sound..there are lots cars out there..you'll find another one that you like..your health is the most important thing ...it sounds like you have your priorities straight..
Old 02-14-2007, 09:29 AM
12 Second Club

damn that sucks, the main thing is that you're ok. its just a car...
Old 02-14-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slt200mph
I'm Glad to hear that you came through safe and sound..there are lots cars out there..you'll find another one that you like..your health is the most important thing ...it sounds like you have your priorities straight..
Hey I actually have a couple crappy quality pictures of my car next to yours at G10. At least I'm pretty sure it was yours...Anyway:

That's yours in the back, right?:
Old 02-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Banned

Oh man NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn Tyler, GOD I feel for you. That car was so sweet. I remember riding in it after we did the gears. Man!!!!!

I'm ******* floored! God I feel bad right now.

I'll call ya after work bro. At least you're Ok, you've been through some serious crap this year.

Take care man, ~Joshua
Old 02-14-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
Oh man NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn Tyler, GOD I feel for you. That car was so sweet. I remember riding in it after we did the gears. Man!!!!!

I'm ******* floored! God I feel bad right now.

I'll call ya after work bro. At least you're Ok, you've been through some serious crap this year.

Take care man, ~Joshua
Yeah I am depressed beyond belief. Like I said, I loved that car more than my life. And I would take your call, but it flew out of the car when the car hit the telephone pole. A friend of mine said they found it about 50 yards from the car, so I should have it back later on today. I'll let you know Josh.

But I think we're going to buy the car back and either put the motor in the Jeep or maybe slap it in an old Camaro or something with good suspension (RX-7 anyone...?). I'll stay in touch, though!
Old 02-14-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

wow serious sorry to hear... i had that happen to me yesterday my nitto 315s are BALD and i hydroplaned and went all over the road it was one way and i slid into the grass and spun like 20 times there was no damage to me or the car i was just scared shitless i was only going 35mph at the time cuz i knew my tires where bald and i meen NOOO tread. glad to hear ur allright. if i where going 50 mph i prob would of been in the same situation as u cuz on one side of the road theres a nice grass field infont of a church with no curb and on the other side there was a giant curb a ditch and telephone polls and i thought i was serisouly going to go into it i just turned the wheel and spun sideways into the grass
Old 02-14-2007, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

gald to hear you are ok man, that sucks horribly!!! to see a 1 of 1 tore up is just heart breaking but like they said there are plenty of other cars out there...

I vote taking that motor and putting it in a FD(3rd gen rx-7)!!! i want to do one of those swaps so freakin bad!
Old 02-14-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by echo3313
gald to hear you are ok man, that sucks horribly!!! to see a 1 of 1 tore up is just heart breaking but like they said there are plenty of other cars out there...

I vote taking that motor and putting it in a FD(3rd gen rx-7)!!! i want to do one of those swaps so freakin bad!
Hahaha...You read my mind. I have been looking into RX-7 shells since I got back from the hospital. I think an FD might be too much though. Even the shittiest shells are going for $4K?!?! I'm looking at FC's, but I ultimately want an FD.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you are o.k. Car's are replacable.You are not!!
Old 02-14-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

wow, that sucks horribly dude. glad you're ok
Old 02-14-2007, 02:40 PM
12 Second Club

there's a nice FD shell on LS1gto but they want 9.5k for it
Old 02-14-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99SeanWS6
there's a nice FD shell on LS1gto but they want 9.5k for it
See? No way I'm spending that much dough. I think I'll go FC if I do do it.

This is what I want to do. He's a member on here. I think his name is Hocky.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/a...3400bea310.htm
Old 02-14-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Here's the carnage:

I'd say I was holding onto the steering wheel pretty hard...

Old 02-14-2007, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

im thinking of doing a swap as well, i think a 240 would be sweet or a fox body
Old 02-14-2007, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

damn thats pretty f-ed up
Old 02-14-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sheeeeeit a little compound and a high speed buffer will clean that right up..it'll look good as new..that one little spot by the wheel well might need just a tiny bit of touch up paint..
Old 02-14-2007, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

hey man sorry to hear bout that makes ya feel sad inside to see another camaro man down.

Would you sell any parts off ? Im in need and black is what im lookin for. Just let me know sorry to hear of the loss.

Quick Reply: One Less Hardtop SS