Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Drag Strip In Benton Arkansas

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its been a LONG time since Memphis was a "good" 1/4 mile track my friend, as far as TNT goes, thats for sure.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank02L
Its been a LONG time since Memphis was a "good" 1/4 mile track my friend, as far as TNT goes, thats for sure.
Maybe for you... I went 12.6 w/ 1.8 60' on that track running on 18" street tires. Its not the best 1/4 track out there mind you but certainly not the worst.

The best track IMO is HRP in Houston, TX.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I'm making measly power compared to some of you guys, but it dead hooked for me with 17" MT ET Streets. It's never busy and you can run as many times as you could possibly want. That's a "great" track to me. I was stationed in WA before here and ran on a "great" NHRA track there too. I compare Memphis to that track (Pacific Raceways) and it's every bit as good. I'm not trying to start anything, I'm just saying that I like Memphis and I'll continue to go there when I need my 1/4 mile fix.

Last edited by 99Hawk262; 01-10-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well there was a huge turn out guys. There was a tooooon of cars in the JCPenny parking lot. We then went to the court house and everyone signed some petition thing. There was a news reporter asking everyone questions or something, and the lady that worked there said it will be like a week or two before the first official meeting cause tonight we just kinda showed up and they were like ok.... sign a petition then we'll get a meeting next week. BUT, it def. looks really really promising judging by the amount of people at the court house. Peace.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well guys I personally talked to the guy who is going to be the owner/operator of the track. He said that he has a few investors who want to see this thing done right if it goes through. They had to postpone our part of the city council meeting because the mayor of Benton wasnt there. They are going to give plenty of notice for the next meeting so they can have more people show up and sign the petition. The guy who will own the track said that as long as this goes through, here is what he has planned. He will be using all wireless digital timing equipment. He said that the system he priced out will be around $20,000 just to be able to time the 1/8th mile. There is a church right next to the airport that owns the rights to the hangars that are left from the airport. If he can get them on our side then we will have use of the hangars for the track. He said that he definetly wants to make the track 1/4 mile eventually but the insurance is too expensive to try to make it 1/4 mile right now. He said that as long as he can get support and help with the track that he wants to try to make this the best track in Arkansas. He said that the first year or so will be a definite learning experience for him but he does have experience working a drag strip. In the early 90's he helped Wayne and Peggy at Centerville start their street car shootout program and he also helped Prescott raceway do the same thing. He was amazed at the turnout tonite. He said that he made 2 phone calls to try to get some support for this thing and better than 200 people ended up showing up with a days notice. I know that some of you guys would rather go to a 1/4 mile track and I do understand that. I would just like to see this guy get some support so that it may eventually be that. I know what ended up happening with the track at the fairgrounds but I think this has a better shot. The track at the fairgrounds didnt have near the support from the city that this does. The mayor of Benton has said that he realizes that the reason we street race is for a lack of convenient places to race legally and that he plans to do something about it, not just try to make the cops crack down on it. The mayor is on our side for this so I think we have a shot. Sorry for the long post but I figured that those of you who couldnt make it out would like to know what went on tonite.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Now that sounds promising. I've heard there's gonna be a local track so many times that I was kind of skeptical. I think I might be more willing to attend the next meeting. I wish we could have the 1/4 mile from the get-go, but I understand that they have to start somewhere. Post info on the next meet when you find out more info on it.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

The mayor ended up showing up as everyone was leaving. Nathan should have a commitee go up there, 200 people aren't gonna get anything done. Dad (the cop that was making sure we all behaved) said that it would be next week for the next meeting. If needed we should sign a petition, he was amazed at the people that showed up.

Maybe we should take a donation to help Nathan get this thing off the ground. It takes money to make money.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Haha Zak now I remember his name. I started typing that post and completely spaced out what he said his name was. I agree that 200 people wont do much but with more notice Im sure that number can be doubled. The donation thing is a hell of an idea. Like if 400 people showed up and everyone donated like 10 bucks, thats 4 grand. I know that sounds optimistic but it wouldnt hurt to give it a shot. I also talked to my Dad about all of this. He has been doing contract photography work for the Benton Courier shooting some local sports for them. He said that if I can get in contact with Nathan that he would do an interview with him and get some pics of the airstrip to publish a story in the Courier Sports section that would also tell when the next meeting was so that we could have more people show up to support it.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

damn sounds too good to be true! I was amazed at the #'s of people that showed up.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Well some people may not want to give as much but either way, I am good for $50. You get 500 people to do $50....some more and less of course. Either way, I think that with donations, and people wanting to invest in this that it could take off.

We cant sit on our hands now, we have to get this going. I dont know of a way to get in contact with Nathan, or anyway to set up a donation thing. Everyone that has ever wanted a 1/4 mile track needs to stop talking and start acting, I understand that people have lives, but donations would help our cause more than you could imagine.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:15 PM
12 Second Club

Dude I am pissed now.....I left the Municipal Complex because everyone was just standin around and I didnt think anything was going to happen! So is it a for sure thing next week? I forwarded the message to a TON of car guys and alot of them showed up tonight, so with more notice as to when it will be for sure I can bring quite a few with me. And whats up with bein shady Zak!
Old 01-10-2008, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

jared- they on the **** of paper that was stating the proposal, it stated a 1/4 track, not a 1/8th mile. also, said they would use the old pavement, except for the burnout box and the first 100 feet. which would be concrete. that what that woman said to me.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:52 AM

They have measured the airport and the paved part is 3900 ft long! And it is alot wider than any track around so the chance of this being a 1/4 mile track soon is extremly high. They should make plenty of money the first year to extend it next year. Just look at all the people that went to Barton's HORRIBLE track, it wasnt even a full 1/8th mile long, was up and down hills, slick as grease, curved, and the timers hardly ever worked! It wasnt even safe! And still several people attended just because it was local racing. I would rather go race a 1/8th mile close to home on a nice track than driving all over Little Rock getting just a few races before the cops show up. Of coarse im sure we all will still go to centerville, memphis, prescott, and the street races from time to time but it will be so nice to have a legal place to go every weekend and race right here at home.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well thanks to Lando I have a way to get in contact with Nathan. I will also let him know about your idea for the donation when I talk to him tomorrow. I know that the proposal stated it would be 1/4 mile but usually the proposal has to state the end result of what you are petitioning for. That way if it gets approved you can start with an 1/8th mile track but it could always be extended to a 1/4 mile track. Im going to run all of these ideas by Nathan tomorrow (or should I say today haha) and see what he says and I guess things will get figured out from there.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So by Nathan and the context of Prescott and Centerville, I'm assuming its Nathan Mann? I love the idea, but to think that this is going to STOP or even SLOW street racing is absurd. The people that want to street race are going to do it even if they pass a NICE track along the way.

Nathan does have some experience and he's been a racer so hopefully that means that the track will be better.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

i told u fellas that it would probably be a 1/8 mile track first due to INSURANCE let some of us know when the next meet is in advance...i work on the flightline, i cant just bounce out lol.....sounds really good though!!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Yea..from what I looked into insurance in this state was the factor of it..

I was plannin on goin out there, but had something come up.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

God I hope this happens...
Old 01-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RobertR.
God I hope this happens...
Yeah it would be nice for everybody, plus if we show we have enough interest someone else might get something else started if they know we will back them. I have heard in the planning of the new fair grounds they are talking of a nhra track. Thanks everybody for the turn out and if we keep up surely we can get something local, instead of driving 100 miles to race.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Teching In

So by Nathan and the context of Prescott and Centerville, I'm assuming its Nathan Mann? I love the idea, but to think that this is going to STOP or even SLOW street racing is absurd. The people that want to street race are going to do it even if they pass a NICE track along the way.

Nathan does have some experience and he's been a racer so hopefully that means that the track will be better.
They need to have a night to street race without the lights and everybody can bet on the side. If they do it right i feel like street racers should get the worst peanalty's. But if they don't have a place to race I don't feel like their is much they can do about it.

Quick Reply: Drag Strip In Benton Arkansas