Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Columbus, GA

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt it. Since a slightly smaller gear is usually recommended for autos the factory probably didn't have the GU6 option for them. i know in '98 GU5 was the only option for rear gear upgrade.
You could probably compare here though:
http://www.camarosource.ca/php/camar....php?year=1998
Old 04-07-2010, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

So I put some MSD plug wires on the car yesterday and it's running better. Still needs a lot of tuning but it doesn't run nearly as bad as it did before. I think one of my original plug wires wasn't working very well. That or the MSD wires just help the spark enough to clean it up a little. hopefully we can get it tuned this weekend and get her purring.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Grease, just a recommendation, buy either gmpp or gm replacement wires in the future. I had msd wires on my car and went to change the plugs. When I was removing the wires they were coming apart on me. I had to drive to the part store and get their brand. The gmpp wires are good, so are stock. There ain't much resistance in 8 inchs of wire or so. DO NOT buy the msd coils, they are complete ****. I have been told that it is very rare to get a batch of 8 and all of them work. The trucks coils are the ticket for big boost guys due to the larger heatsink. Also, do not buy a 160 thermostat, it caused me alot of problems with the o2 sensors. I have a book that shows you how to modify the factory anyway and I still have my old one. Have you done the tb bypass yet? cut the egr tube? or opened up the factory airbox?
Old 04-07-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see you got your y-pipe, did you happen to take a picture of it? How is the fitment?
Old 04-07-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a slp muffler that was a option on the SS cars. They are suppose to be one of the better flow mufflers out there. There is a vid on tech of a cam guy running it without cats and it sounds pretty good.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You could get a 3" intermediate pipe and do up a mufflex copy. I bought a 3" intermediate pipe for a 92 I had and it cost me $100 or so. Heck I did a borla copy with a 40 series flowmaster and it sounded pretty decent.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

No I haven't got any pictures of the Y yet. I tried messing with it today but i just gave up I'm going to leave it like it is for now. but it hangs pretty low on the driver's side. In fact the merge is hanging pretty low too. not too bad but I pretty much am going to have to drive my car as if it were lowered, lol. Other than that it went up pretty easy. I had a little trouble getting it to fit over my collectors but it wasn't too bad.

and i didn't plan on a 160 t-stat. most of the research i've done says the stock t-stat works just fine and you can just tune your fans to cut on earlier and be good. I haven't done the TB bypass yet but that will be easy enough to do so I'll get around to it eventually.

I have done the AIR and EGR delete already. I've got a FTRA enroute so I'll be putting that in next week.

Not sure what i'm going to do as far as a catback yet. I've got 2 bullet mufflers from when i was going to just hook them up to my headers but they are 3" ID so it won't fit on my Y. I'm considering buying a 2.5" - 3" adapter and going that route or just hooking up the stock I-pipe and leaving it like that. Not sure yet. money is kind of tight so I have to kind of work with what I've already got.

Last edited by greasemonkeysoldier; 04-09-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sheikss
Grease, just a recommendation, buy either gmpp or gm replacement wires in the future. I had msd wires on my car and went to change the plugs. When I was removing the wires they were coming apart on me. I had to drive to the part store and get their brand. The gmpp wires are good, so are stock. There ain't much resistance in 8 inchs of wire or so. DO NOT buy the msd coils, they are complete ****. I have been told that it is very rare to get a batch of 8 and all of them work. The trucks coils are the ticket for big boost guys due to the larger heatsink. Also, do not buy a 160 thermostat, it caused me alot of problems with the o2 sensors. I have a book that shows you how to modify the factory anyway and I still have my old one. Have you done the tb bypass yet? cut the egr tube? or opened up the factory airbox?
i have tried two sets of msd wires wires and didn't like them, no one on here never talks about MTI wires but i love them. they are angled perfect for headers and they are very high quality. i have had the same set on my car for over two years.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Msd use to be ok between 2000 and 2004 lately they have been falling apart. I think they changed the way their made . But any way I seen a nice convert ls1 ss the tother day and a supra for sale.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GMTECH4
i have tried two sets of msd wires wires and didn't like them, no one on here never talks about MTI wires but i love them. they are angled perfect for headers and they are very high quality. i have had the same set on my car for over two years.
I didn't even know MTI made plug wires. I thought they had closed shop a while back.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

So we tried tuning the car yesterday...spent roughly 12 hours on it and made little headway. not sure what the deals is. It seemed like it was getting worse whenever we tried correcting the VE tables. We're going to have to give it another shot sometime this coming week to see if we can get it running right for this coming weekend. Keep your fingers crossed for me, lol.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, any luck?
Old 04-14-2010, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Haha...still waiting for mark to get a hold of me to see when he wants to do it. It's his tuner so it's whenever he's got the time that he's willing to spend to help me out with it. I bought a coil I'm going to keep swapping it out and see if thats the problem since i have exhausted all other possibilities....
Old 04-15-2010, 07:14 AM
11 Second Club

well, the coil didn't help. I've read a couple of threads that talked about the the same problems i'm having and some other suggestions were to replace the MAF or TPS.....so i'm wondering if that would help....i'm thinking about taking the intake back off and checking everything over and putting it back on....
Old 04-16-2010, 07:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

hey craig, got another box on the way! not sure just when it will arrive, dont have tracking info just yet.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Okay. You know I'll be home to receive the package. My wife is killing me. She hid my car keys the day of the surgery because she heard the doc say no driving for 8 weeks after surgery. So you know I'm going crazy just sitting around feeling lost. I feel like that dude in that movie "Misery". Just kidding it's not that bad, but close because I can't drive the car.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by greasemonkeysoldier
well, the coil didn't help. I've read a couple of threads that talked about the the same problems i'm having and some other suggestions were to replace the MAF or TPS.....so i'm wondering if that would help....i'm thinking about taking the intake back off and checking everything over and putting it back on....
I've read your other threads about your car and I never thought about knock retard when it starts to misfire. I've done some research about 98's and if we where to listen to all the crap people talk about how bad that year is then we would stay in the dark. I know it's frustrating, but stay cool and I'll get it work out. Just next time let me help you guys out because it sounds like you just wasted a lot time last weekend. Man I'll be home everyday until 7 May.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have an inferior LT1 car..... have anything to fix that?
Old 04-16-2010, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

haha...yeah....well i started a thread asking for some more help and a guy told me to try running in open loop to see if it still ran like crap. he says if it does it's probably an intake leak. if it doesn't than it might be an exhaust leak. i still haven't ruled that out completely....i'm thinking maybe my headers aren't sealed right. I'm going to check them out this weekend. i might go ahead and take my intake off to just to make sure the gaskets sealed correctly. I've been trying to avoid that though, lol.
when we tuned that day we really didn't go exactly by the book. we tried to cut a few corners to make things easier, obviously that didn't help, lol. Mark's going to let me borrow his HPT. I'm going to go by a couple of more in depth write-ups i found and try getting it straight. I need to log and correct my LTFT's which we didn't do last saturday. we just corrected them the easy way. it worked that way but not as much as the car needed. so i'm going to do that. if you want i can swing by your place too and we can work on it together. I found a write up on tuning the MAF as well but it's a little complicating to me. I think you'll be able to understand it though.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

oh yeah, i don't think the car is actually misfiring. I think it's a fueling issue. because the PCM isn't throwing any misfire codes. I disconnected one of the spark plug wires and drove it down the street to see if it would throw a code then and it did. I took it to Autozone and it was a misfire at cylinder 6 which is the one i disconnected. so i think it's just having a fueling issue due to unmetered air coming in. That is if there is indeed a leak.

Last edited by greasemonkeysoldier; 04-16-2010 at 04:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Columbus, GA