Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Black mail is a wonderful thing......

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like if I had not been around, the car would have MAYBE been fixed, without my knowledge of a problem, or that my rings could have been replaced again without my knowledge.

I'm darn glad I stuck around, but then again, I showed up the date I was told to, to drive the car and break it in. Yep for the three days I was there, I drove it maybe 20 miles.

And the day I finally picked it up with a trailer, it was leaking so much oil, the car was dancing around in the puddles while putting it on the trailer. My point, it was just a "little oil leak"? NOT. And I just love the quote from one of the shop guys, not a word for word but something to the affect, "you just make it sound like we can't fix a simple oil leak". Not only could they not fix it, they couldn't find it, but if they had assembled the engine.... bottom out the main cap bolts, there wouldn't have been any problems.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr.427
Jeff...buddy...your are wasting your time on some of these folks. Once the customer left your shop and your offer to fix everything at our cost he gave up any opportunity to recoupe any expenses. Perhaps your folks dropped the ball (really not clear) but once you offered to fix the problem at your expense you have done your part to solve the situation. That is one reason many shops will not install anything brought in by the customer for this very reason. Good luck to you in the future and welcome to the world of customer service....it will work on that very last nerve!
They couldn't fix it becasue they diagnosed it wrong. Sure, I could have let them pull the motor and tear it down and replace the correct rings. But then we would have the wrong rings installed. And no telling what else would be wrong.

Not to mention.... they elected to remove the windage tray and not tell me, or provide it when i picked up the car.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.427
Jeff...buddy...your are wasting your time on some of these folks. Once the customer left your shop and your offer to fix everything at our cost he gave up any opportunity to recoupe any expenses. Perhaps your folks dropped the ball (really not clear) but once you offered to fix the problem at your expense you have done your part to solve the situation. That is one reason many shops will not install anything brought in by the customer for this very reason. Good luck to you in the future and welcome to the world of customer service....it will work on that very last nerve!
thank you sir. I did everything I could. I put it down in writing.

thats that.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

looks like jeff has the winning arguement here. i wish some of the shops i had been to had worked with me like jeff has with you tom.

also may i point out to you, tom. you are not to bright driving a car around with a KNOWN oil leak. did you expect the leak to get smaller as you drove?
Old 07-25-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
looks like jeff has the winning arguement here. i wish some of the shops i had been to had worked with me like jeff has with you tom.

also may i point out to you, tom. you are not to bright driving a car around with a KNOWN oil leak. did you expect the leak to get smaller as you drove?
The only time I drove the car was while at their shop, per their instructions. Then I picked up the car, and per their instructions I was told to drive it to see if the rings seat. But I drove it TWO times maybe a total of twenty miles. I checked the oil before the drive and added one quart. I checked the oil when I got there and again when I got home. The second drive was to the shop that fixed it.

Why would I allow a shop to attempt to fix it when they did such a poor job building, and diagnosing the problem and their plan to fix it was wrong, and would have installed the wrong rings!
Old 07-25-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tom's2005gto
The only time I drove the car was while at their shop, per their instructions. Then I picked up the car, and per their instructions I was told to drive it to see if the rings seat. But I drove it TWO times maybe a total of twenty miles. I checked the oil before the drive and added one quart. I checked the oil when I got there and again when I got home. The second drive was to the shop that fixed it.

Why would I allow a shop to attempt to fix it when they did such a poor job building, and diagnosing the problem and their plan to fix it was wrong, and would have installed the wrong rings!
Tom....give it up. This guy offered to fix at his expense. You made the decision to leave....buddy it's now your problem...due to your decision. There are plenty of shops that would not have been that kind to you. We must live by our decisions...I suggest you accept yours. My Pop used to say..."that's why they put erasers on pencils...we all make mistakes". Good luck to ya!
Old 07-25-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ sure I could have left my car there, and had them tear it apart, rehone and install the wrong rings. Not for free, I was told that i would have to buy the rings.

But then again, what else would have gotten screwed up!

And then again, when they did try to fix it, they removed the windage tray, kept it and never mentioned it.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow alot of bickering and well...plain and simple...a man offerd to fix things and the offer wasnt accepted....end of story....move on people
Old 07-25-2008, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ sure I could have left my car there, and had them tear it apart, rehone and install the wrong rings. Not for free, I was told that i would have to buy the rings.

But then again, what else would have gotten screwed up!

And then again, when they did try to fix it, they removed the windage tray, kept it and never mentioned it.
I think ALL the facts here are falling on deaf ears.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You still should have gave another shot to fix the problem, which they clearly wrote down on your reciept. A judge will see both sides of the story, and in the end the judge will side with the shop, due to you not giving them the chance to fix it.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ when the shop changes the pan gasket twice (?) and the rear cover twice (?) then says "we thing it has the wrong rings" then changes it's story to "we thing we glazed the cylinders from breaking in the motor using mobil 1"

There next attempt to fixing it was rehone and replace the rings, wrong call again.

How many chances do they get?
Old 07-25-2008, 02:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

^^^ when the shop changes the pan gasket twice (?) and the rear cover twice (?) then says "we thing it has the wrong rings" then changes it's story to "we thing we glazed the cylinders from breaking in the motor using mobil 1"

There next attempt to fixing it was rehone and replace the rings, wrong call again.

who requested we change those gaskets?

you did.

You insisted it was a missalignment or cracked oil pan. we insisted it was ring seat.

evidently we were both wrong.

had we been allowed to proceed however, we would have found and corrected the problem. It "might" have cost you another 150.00 for rings....and then again, we probably would have found the loose bolts upon dissassembly and it wouldnt have cost you anything.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Judge will still see in the shop's side, cut your lose's and move on. Learn from your mistakes..
Old 07-25-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeff@SpectacleSolutions
who requested we change those gaskets?

you did.
Its going to be a he said she said kind thing, just learn from this and make sure no customer is allowed in your shop due to insurance reasons, and if they get pushy let them know that the labor is going up for being a hardass...lol
Old 07-25-2008, 03:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by mike's02ls1
Its going to be a he said she said kind thing, just learn from this and make sure no customer is allowed in your shop due to insurance reasons, and if they get pushy let them know that the labor is going up for being a hardass...lol
we are definately changing that policy. we want customers to be able to see we are actually performing the work they are paying us to do, but when something does go wrong, they are right there to see it and start giving their opinions on the matter.

from now on, we will simply complete the job fully, and then call the customer to pick up their vehicle.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
I think ALL the facts here are falling on deaf ears.

FACT Shop promised to fix the problem. Who cares who is at fault! FACT shop promised to fix the problem. Who cares if it had the wrong rings. FACT Shop promised to fix the problem. Who cares about gaskets or the windage tray. FACT Shop promised to fix the problem.
Does anyone other than me see a trend here! Please...life is too short...MOVE ON!
Old 07-25-2008, 03:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

moving on. thanks to everyone for their support.

on a side note, if anyone needs a brand new LSX block I will have one next week at a hell of a deal (probably in the 1,500.00 range)

I have one customer im waiting to hear back from and if he doesnt want it, then its for sale.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mr.427 thanks for the humor, we needed some!
Old 07-25-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeff@SpectacleSolutions
we are definately changing that policy. we want customers to be able to see we are actually performing the work they are paying us to do, but when something does go wrong, they are right there to see it and start giving their opinions on the matter.

from now on, we will simply complete the job fully, and then call the customer to pick up their vehicle.
Thats the best thing cause if you working on their car you need you need to focus on what you are doing and not to their talking,nagging,bugging or in the end you will make a mistake. We are human and **** will happen, is when you get folks that try to tell you how to do your job.

If you want your customer's to see what is going on, then build a customer lounge with a big window so they can stare like little puppy dogs......
Old 07-25-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mr.427 thanks for the humor, we needed some!
Thanks my friend.
Seriously, I really hate to see these kind of situations cause it's a lose/lose for everyone. I hope your situation is squared away and both you and the shop in question have learned from this experience. If so there is something you both can take away for this incident. I feel for both you and the shop owner. Good luck to both of you!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Black mail is a wonderful thing......