Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Black mail is a wonderful thing......

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 08:55 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black mail is a wonderful thing......

I appears that Brian and I made a mistake in diagnosing Toms oil leak issue. (possibly) Even after we assured Tom we would do WHATEVER WAS NECESSARY to correct the problem, even if it meant pulling the engine and going back over everything we did, he refused to allow it. Now he wants to tell us if we give him a refund, he wont bash us on the internet. Well, I dont respond very well to threats and black mail.

----------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Jeff & Brian,

I elected to have a local GTO friend Kyle, (aka silverstreak04 from the
forum) who works at a local repair shop and earning a good name for himself
take a look at the GTO. It was his decision to replace the oil pan gaskets
and rear cover gaskets using original GM parts.

Saturday I arrived at 8:00AM at the shop that he works and left at 12:00
midnight.

I assisted with whatever he asked to help out. Another GTO friend from the
forum also spent 7 hours at the shop, watching and noting what was going on.

Kyle replaced the oil pan gasket and rear cover gaskets and we still had
leaks. Kyle removed the oil pan again and was concerned about the girdle
clearances and beveled some of the edges on the pan, ground off more of the
longer studs, and replaced the damaged tubes inside the pan, then
reinstalled it. We still had leaks. Kyle removed the tranny and rear cover
again, and the starter, and using an inspection mirror he was able to see
that oil was leaking from the main cap bolt(s) that go through the side of
the block into the main caps. Upon further checking, Kyle found that 9 of
the 10 block side bolts to main caps were extremely loose, some could be
turned with one finger. Upon complete inspection of all 10 bolts, none were
found to have any sealant on them. Kyle removed all 10 bolts, applied
sealant and torqued to spec. This resolved the oil leaks.

We also noticed that the windeage tray that belongs in the pan is missing.
Not sure what to make of that, or if I should acquire one and have it
installed.

While the oil pan was off, Kyle also inspected the cylinder walls for
glazing and found no signs of such.

We also plugged a scanner in to read the CEL, and found a code for left bank
rich. The car still has the stutter issue that I was told had been
resolved. So I am going to have the car retuned.

I spent for labor $500.00
I spent for parts $109.00
Retuning cost $500.00

Total above cost $1109.00

I think it's only fair that I receive a refund in the amount of $1109.00.

I would prefer that we settle this between us, and I prefer to not have
bring this up on any forums.

Please let me know your thoughts in this matter.

Tom Sturges

--------------------------------------------------------

My thoughts on the matter is that we did everything we could to accomidate you Tom. I will also be glad to put the car back on my dyno and finish tuning it.

Since you made the decision to go public to start with, your black mailing really wont work.

Dont sweat it.....I will post photos of the back and front of the invoice I gave you as well, and I will gladly start this same thread over on LS1tech.

When a shop guarantees their work and states they WILL DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO MAKE YOU HAPPY AND FIX THE PROBLEM and you decide to take the car from the shop anyway and have someone else fix the problem, its kind of lame to then deman some type of refund.

Brian and I are sorry the issue was the main cap bolts. we definately made a mistake.....but we also definately were NOT allowed the chance to correct it. (we arent fully convinced that was the leak to begin with)

and now you want a refund on labor to correct issues that WERENT THE ISSUES to begin with (this is an admission in your own email to me)

feel free to post a respnse here, and in the sponsor forum on LS1tech.

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The above thread is from LS2gto.com.

Tom brought us his car to do a build for him that another shop had started. That shop went out of business.

The bottom line is that we assured the customer we would correct the problem not matter what it took if he would leave the car. He insisted on picking the car up and not allowing us to finish the job.

Now he wants a refund and wants to use blackmail to get it.

I just figured I would save him the trouble and let the public decide.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Launching!

I'll be honest Jeff it sounds like you are trying to run a reputable business and you sound like an honest guy. Obviously until he posts we won't have heard his side to the story. I have heard both good and bad things about your shop (pm me for details). So I really don't know what to believe, but if you truly offered to completely fix the problem for 0$ extra then I don't know why he would take his car from you. If I were him I would have just left it there til it was fixed unless it wasn't being delt with. Also, if I were in your position I don't think I would work on any more cars that came half finished from other shops. However, because you did offer to do that for him I would think he would be a little more patient. Just my opinion.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

We told him he would have to cover the cost of the rings....since we did not provide them and after talking to our machine shop, they stated that was not the ring they would have used in the build.

We told him we would pull the engine and tear it back down and replace the rings for free.

Its on the front and back of his invoice, which I saved coppies of for this very reason. our mistake was allowing the customer in the shop to watch the entire process.

once there is a problem, they loose confidence in your ability. that happened in this case and we simply werent allowed to finish the job.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Its pretty plain right there in black and white that we absolutely agreed to make it right.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it is pretty obvious his friends couldn't find the oil leak to begin with and they were just searching and taking things apart and putting them back together again! It's not that hard to clean the oily area's and then let the car run and find out where the leak is coming from! Then he took the car from the shop before it was even finished as well! Sounds like you guy's have offered every option to help this guy out, and he is just looking to get something for nothing!
Old 07-22-2008, 10:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

maybe this will work this time.
Attached Thumbnails Black mail is a wonderful thing......-invoice-001.jpg  
Old 07-22-2008, 10:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

and the back of the invoice.
Attached Thumbnails Black mail is a wonderful thing......-invoice-002.jpg  
Old 07-22-2008, 10:21 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff@SpectacleSolutions
maybe this will work this time.
That's enough said right there! Only reputable shops will put things in black and white like that! Congrat's!!
And the customer is even aware of the oil leak! Imagine that! What a douche bag for even complaining about something he already knew!
Old 07-22-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the usual, a guy trying to get something for nothing and not worrying about what his bad remarks will do to a business like yours..
Old 07-22-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

LOL had that happen, well similar anyway, people need to learn that they make the situation worse by having 2,3,4+ people messing with it, one person knows the history from start to finish always ensures a better outcome. When I have customers that do that I tell them the same thing, I can only garuntee my work, not three other guys that have been messing with it.

Sucks to hear about the improper repair though, it does sound like you need to check some employees. We as managment dont always know that a employee does bad work until it is done, but we must be allowed to fix the problem as step one.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Follow the link to all the details it goes on for a few pages, no need retyping everything again, here. Also, the guy that mentioned "it does sound like you need to check some employees". They only have two, Jeff and Brian.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...207776&page=88
Old 07-22-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom, you should have let the shop fix the problem cause now if you go to court the judge will ask you why you didn't give them a chance. You will lose so take the lose, and learn from this..
Old 07-22-2008, 01:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Sucks to hear about the improper repair though, it does sound like you need to check some employees. We as managment dont always know that a employee does bad work until it is done, but we must be allowed to fix the problem as step one.
Brian and I are the owners, and the only ones working here at the moment. If (and I do mean a really big IF) those bolts were left loose, Its on me. Its my fault.

Kind of irrelevant since the owner insisted on picking up the car without letting us fix the problem.

We were prepared to pull the motor and go back over everything we did, including putting in new rings.

He wouldnt let us. He would rather take it somewhere else and then try to demand "hush" money.

That didnt pan out so well for him either.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

i surely hate to read 'stuff' like this, i spent 3 days last week in this shop, this is not the guys' 1st rodeo...never saw, heard, nor felt anything to decrease my confidence & i was elbow to elbow the WHOLE time, lunch included ...i actually saw the car in question also...

IMHO, the only wrong thing Jeff did was not 'go with his gut'...shoulda pulled the motor against owners wishes...when i 'entrust' something to you it is yours until you return it...i also have show horses at 2 different barns...while they are 'MY' horses, they are entrusted to the trainers, if i took them to another barn, their responsibilities have ended!!.......the car was entrusted to this shop to be finished and as i see it the owner violated that trust (i.e. he took it to another BARN)... again just my IMHO..

AND the guys at Spectacle can be trusted with my vehicle ANYTIME!!!

i'm sure Jeff won't allow someone else to 'drive off' against his wishes in the future...stick to ya' guns, guys...best of luck!!! and sorry you have to deal with stuff like this!!!

Old 07-22-2008, 05:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tom's2005gto
Follow the link to all the details it goes on for a few pages, no need retyping everything again, here. Also, the guy that mentioned "it does sound like you need to check some employees". They only have two, Jeff and Brian.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...207776&page=88

Tom I dont even know these guys or their shop, but if you pulled the car out of my shop after I had offered to remedy the situation at no charge and provided documentation to that affect to you I would have washed my hands of you. Once you took the car elsewhere you lost all grounds to come after their shop for money. You made a decision(which I can respect) but that doesnt entitle you to a refund.

225-343-9029
Old 07-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Repair orders are legal documents in court. Thats why when i work on someones car i note EVERYTHING wrong so they cant come back and bitch about scuffs, and why didnt you let me know i was riding on tires with the wires hanging out the sidewalls and then they hit the wall cause they were ignorant and didnt fix it then, they waited to claim insurance so they can get new tires for free.. (happened at toyota, stupid people, stupid people)
Old 07-22-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff@SpectacleSolutions
Brian and I are the owners, and the only ones working here at the moment. If (and I do mean a really big IF) those bolts were left loose, Its on me. Its my fault.

Kind of irrelevant since the owner insisted on picking up the car without letting us fix the problem.

We were prepared to pull the motor and go back over everything we did, including putting in new rings.

He wouldnt let us. He would rather take it somewhere else and then try to demand "hush" money.

That didnt pan out so well for him either.

I meant no offense by the "checking employees" statement, and I completely understand your standing in this situation, I agree with it, like I said I have also had somewhat similar things happen, no matter what you do things happen, I manage an auto repair shop, and run 7 guys that work alone that I have to keep an eye on and sometimes I get employees that do crappy work thats where the statement came from.

I havent read the whole story but have been in similar situations to yours and it sucks. Again no offense, that probably sounded harsh the way it was worded.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 07-22-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Jeff....check out the thread "Tuning experience with Atlanta shop"....it's near the top with about 20 damn pages. I feel for ya as some customers are "stuck on stupid". In the other thread this guy didn't like his tune and got a full refund and still bashed the tuner all over the place. If this guy was dumb enough, which it appears he was, to take the car out of the shop without giving you the opportunity to fix it....it's his problem. I'll tell you folks something....I would not be a tuner shop for anything. Every jackleg that walks through the door could be a problem. The internet is not the forum to solve problems. It's usually two adults sitting down and working out the issue and if that doesn't work....well it's off to court. Not the friggin internet!
Old 07-24-2008, 11:57 AM
9 Second Club

When these guys were opening up there shop myself,jeff,and brain had a misunderstanding It was mostly me being in a hury..for a tune(had the car sold) But anyway these guys done everything the could do to make me happy and they are some stand up guys....Will do buissness with them agian... I am not takin sides here but if you try to go to court the judge's first Q is going to be WHY DID YOU NOT LET THEM FIX THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!..........

Also Jeff or Brian i need to but my car on your dyno how much to rent it by the hour...?

Quick Reply: Black mail is a wonderful thing......