Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Advice on putting bearing in 3.8 camaro???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Advice on putting bearing in 3.8 camaro???

Ok recently bought a 99 Camaro with 3.8 in it. Car had intake gasket leaking coolant into oil. After intake gasket change and new oil and all car started to get a slight knock in bottom end and everyone's telling me that the dexcool **** softened up the bearings. So whats easiest way to change the main/rod bearings without pulling the motor? How much does this usually cost to have done? Seems like a pain in the *** but dont wanna spend a crap load on someone else to do it. Im in the Greenville-Spartanburg area so anyone with advice or what not holler at me. Thanks
Dale
Old 09-07-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How many miles are on the car? If the miles are low just buy a set of standard bearings and change them in the car. I used to pull the bolts out of the side of the block where the motor mounts bolt up to the motor and jack the motor up and just loosen not remove the k-member bolts to get clearance to drop the oil pan. Once you get the oil pan off you can remove the rod caps one by one and change the bearings in them. While you are there replace the mains also.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easiest way to fix it is to sell it and buy yourself an ls1

Quick Reply: Advice on putting bearing in 3.8 camaro???