Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Anyone have a recipe for deer backstrap??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a recipe for deer backstrap??

I have a back strap left over from last hunting season and was curious if anyone out there had some different ways of cooking it. I have always just sliced it thin, eggs, flour then fry.

Just making room for the new hunting season and fishing trips this year.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Soak it overnight in buttermilk. Cut it for biscuits. Throw it in a skillet with butter, salt, pepper.
You can make jerkey with it also. Spice it up, put in oven with the door cracked about 1/4" on lowest setting. Let it dry in it about all day. Turn it once.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

My cousin who lives in north Mississippi marinates it in Dale's seasoning (the low salt version) over night then grills it until the center is just a lil pink, my god, tastes like steak.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Launching!

Marinate it overnite in milk and Italian Dressing. Next day, take it out of the marinade and lay it on your cutting board. Filet it open long-ways until it's flat and about 1/4" thick. Stuff it with loose green onion sausage (remove the casing). Roll it back up into it's original shape and season the outside with Tony's, onion powder and garlic powder. Wrap it with your favorite bacon (I like apple bacon but it's hard to find) and toothpick the bacon down. Drop it on a scorching hot pit just long enough to cook the bacon on each side. Take it off the pit and wrap it in aluminum foil. Put it back on the pit as far away from the coals as possible. Let it ride for about an hour. Take it off, open the foil and slice it into 1/2" thick slices and it's ready to eat.

Enjoy
Old 10-03-2008, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Here's my recipe:
For Frying: First soak in ice water until water is no longer red. Then cut into nice size steaks about 3/4 to inch. season and marinate with Italian dressing. Flour and then fry.

For grilling: soak and cut meat into steaks. Season and marinate using beer with a little Italian dressing.

I usually marinate for a couple of days.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

soak the meat in half milk, half dales low salt seasoning overnight.

mix flower, pepper, salt, lemon pepper, and tony cahcheries (sp?) in a bowl. I dont have ammounts. just do it to taste.

coat the meat with the flower mixture and fry it up in a pan.

good stuff.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a recipe for deer backstrap??