Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

What does the GMMG Phase 2 package consist of?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does the GMMG Phase 2 package consist of?

Do any of you guys know what is different in GMMG phase 2 package (435 HP BlackBird) from the Phase 1 Package (380 HP BlackBird). What kind of cam headers does the phase 2 have? I've been told it runs the LS1 Hotcam (219 227-112 LSA). Any info would be great, Thanks a lot!
Old 12-28-2003, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkBrdWS6
Do any of you guys know what is different in GMMG phase 2 package (435 HP BlackBird) from the Phase 1 Package (380 HP BlackBird). What kind of cam headers does the phase 2 have? I've been told it runs the LS1 Hotcam (219 227-112 LSA). Any info would be great, Thanks a lot!
I will take a crack at it, but those with the phase two will have to chime in.
My understanding is...

ls6 heads
custom gmmg cam (only gmmg knows the specs???)
ported throttle body
underdrive crank pulley
TTS headers with TTS y-pipe with cats
custom tuning

And I think thats it. Phase 2 guys chime in...
Old 12-30-2003, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Depends when the car was built, the "435" package changed slightly from year to year.
We never , ever, ever used a Hot Cam in anything!
Early cars got FLP headers, then we switched to TTS Headers.
Early cars got high compression LS1 heads, later cars got high velocity/ high compression LS1"241" cylinder heads. All cars had 10.5:1 compression.
Cam Shaft was the biggest change from year to year and customer prefference.
Early cars made 385 to 390@ the wheels, later cars made 405+ RWHP.
These #'s were made on dyno-jet dyno with 100miles or less on the vehicle we estimated each would pick up an additional 10 to 15 once everything broke in and loosen'd up.
Average "435" package included
Cam
Heads
upgraded valve train
ported and polished throttle body
GM performance parts plug wires
NGK plugs
TTS headers, cats and y-pipe
custom ecm
rear control arm relocation brackets
Old 12-31-2003, 06:39 AM
Teching In

Bille-
What is the time frame for "early/late" cars?

Thanks-
Old 12-31-2003, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ISPEEDWS6
Depends when the car was built, the "435" package changed slightly from year to year.
Early cars got FLP headers, then we switched to TTS Headers.
Early cars got high compression LS1 heads, later cars got high velocity/ high compression LS1"241" cylinder heads. All cars had 10.5:1 compression.
Cam Shaft was the biggest change from year to year and customer prefference.
Early cars made 385 to 390@ the wheels, later cars made 405+ RWHP.
These #'s were made on dyno-jet dyno with 100miles or less on the vehicle we estimated each would pick up an additional 10 to 15 once everything broke in and loosen'd up.
Average "435" package included
Cam
Heads
upgraded valve train
ported and polished throttle body
GM performance parts plug wires
NGK plugs
TTS headers, cats and y-pipe
custom ecm
rear control arm relocation brackets
BlkBrdWS6 I stand corrected. I thought the BB S2 had the Hotcam. I was wrong. Sorry.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Love my Phase II !!!
Old 02-17-2004, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

ISPEED WS6 did you have some involvement with the Blackbirds?
Old 04-18-2005, 11:19 AM
12 Second Club

I've been considering the phase 2 package for quite some time and had a few conversations with Matt Murphy at GMMG. He didn't tell me all the specifics of the new "stage 2x" but he did say: Cam, Heads, Headers, Exhaust for a total of 435rwhp (depending on which cam I went with, emissions legal cam about 15hp less).
Old 04-19-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackbird39
I've been considering the phase 2 package for quite some time and had a few conversations with Matt Murphy at GMMG. He didn't tell me all the specifics of the new "stage 2x" but he did say: Cam, Heads, Headers, Exhaust for a total of 435rwhp (depending on which cam I went with, emissions legal cam about 15hp less).
If you can afford to have it done, DO IT ! ! ! You won't regret it.

I believe the Phase II package that Matt/Mike/Ron are doing now is 475 h.p. just like my ZL1. In fact, a guy in my local Camaro club has a Berger SS and just sent it down last summer to have it upgraded to "Phase II" and it is also 475 h.p.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Banned

Just curious, I know they won't label a " phase 2" package on a car that isn't a GMMG car, but will they put the parts on any F-body for the same price?
Old 04-19-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
Just curious, I know they won't label a " phase 2" package on a car that isn't a GMMG car, but will they put the parts on any F-body for the same price?
Nope.............unless they originally modified the car such as in the case of the Carl Black Blackbirds, the Berger SS's, the Tom Henry Racing SS's, the Dale Earnhardt Intimidator SS's, the Hot Rod Magazine Camaros, the ZL1 Supercars or the Dick Harrell/Berger Supercars, they won't touch them. I believe the ONLY EXCEPTION is the 35th Anniversary Camaro SS. Cammin' BeaSSt, feel free to chime in any time here and help me out.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02_Phase2_ZL1

I believe the Phase II package that Matt/Mike/Ron are doing now is 475 h.p. just like my ZL1. In fact, a guy in my local Camaro club has a Berger SS and just sent it down last summer to have it upgraded to "Phase II" and it is also 475 h.p.
I had the money set aside and an appointment to drop it off and the weekend I called Matt said he would be away for some car shows. I really wanted to meet Matt and see some of the cars so I figured I would put it off awhile. I wound up spending the money on our '04 Christmas and haven't put the $7k back yet.

What kind of 1/4 mile ET's have the phase2 guys seen? And how about you other 380 guys what's the best times you've seen?
Old 04-28-2005, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

Even on a PR-1 you think I should have it altered?
Old 04-28-2005, 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carrillo1967
Even on a PR-1 you think I should have it altered?
That is a question that you should pose to the guy that belongs to the local Camaro club that I belong too (The Mid-Iowa Camaro Club, www.midiowacamaroclub.com). He goes by PR-1 here on this website. He owns the Bright Red w/Black Stripes 75th Anniversary Berger SS PR-1 and had it modified to the Phase II 475 h.p. package after he purchased it from the original owner (Jim Parks). I know that he is extremely pleased with his decision. He had Matt Murphy (owner of GMMG, Inc.) save him all the old parts they took off the engine when they modified it to a Phase II so he still has the "complete" car.

Here is some pic's of his 2000 75th Anniversary Bright Red w/ Black Stripes Berger SS Phase II:

http://12.216.128.145/camaroclub/php...php?pic_id=541

http://12.216.128.145/camaroclub/php...php?pic_id=439

http://12.216.128.145/camaroclub/php...php?pic_id=438

He doesn't check this site as often as I do so I will email Brad and ask him to respond back to you in this particular thread.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

That is a question that you should pose to the guy that belongs to the local Camaro club that I belong too (The Mid-Iowa Camaro Club, www.midiowacamaroclub.com). He goes by PR-1 here on this website. He owns the Bright Red w/Black Stripes 75th Anniversary Berger SS PR-1 and had it modified to the Phase II 475 h.p. package after he purchased it from the original owner (Jim Parks). I know that he is extremely pleased with his decision. He had Matt Murphy (owner of GMMG, Inc.) save him all the old parts they took off the engine when they modified it to a Phase II so he still has the "complete" car.

Thanks for your reply. I do really want to get a phase II done.....
Old 04-29-2005, 03:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

He had Matt Murphy (owner of GMMG, Inc.) save him all the old parts they took off the engine when they modified it to a Phase II so he still has the "complete" car.
As far as I know, you just have to ask to have all the old parts back. I'm pretty sure Norm(BB #4) got his heads/cam back when they did the Phase II on his. I know that I'm planning to do the same when I send my car in. I know that I did this when I had them install my exhaust cause Mike/Ron both looked at me like I was crazy for packing up the stock WS.6 system and taking it with me.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought I would clear this up for everybody interrested in these packages and what they come with exactly.

Phase II 435HP package (no longer avalible)

Phase IIX 475HP package
5.3 CNC ported and hand polished race heads (flow over 315cfm and 260cfm), cam (customer choice of about 5 different ones depends on driver and needs), Headers choice TTS or SS Dynatechs with cats, Hardened Pushrods, new gasket-bolts, Lightweight Flywheel, Red Valve Covers, LCA relo, Red Motorsports plugwires, NGK plugs, Red Powdercoated Brake Calipers, Different Lid stickers, documentation, GMMG window sticker Automatics get Yank TQ Converter (choice) and BM transcooler. Tuning and Install included

RWHP Range 420-450 auto slightly less due to driveline

Phase IIX6 Everything above except LS6 heads 10-15RWHP and TQ gain

Phase IIX6R Everthing above except ARP studs all around, ARP rod bolts, Notch Pistons for max camshafts. (Not recommend for daily driving or your wife) Revs to the moon for max HP.

We also offer all of our customers the ability to upgrade other parts of their cars as well like.

Subframes, Rollcages, Clutches, Bigger Brakes, Rims, Tires, And for guys who have the ***** 427 CI Big Cubes!!!!

We constantly change these packages to keep up with customer demands and when better parts are avalible and have been tested by us. And we test alot of stuff!!!

We try to build something that will last a long time and can go anywhere with reliable performance and value. Hope everyone likes their cars and hope this clears up any questions for you guys.

Mike
GMMG INC.

Last edited by Vengeance Racing; 05-02-2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for contributing Mike and detailing the GMMG packages.

You, Ron & Matt do an excellent job down there and I personally appreciate all the help you have given me at my shop and the projects that we have undertaken.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Evilz28nos
Thought I would clear this up for everybody who is interrested in these packages and what they come with exactly.
We try to build something that will last a long time and can go anywhere with reliable performance and value. Hope everyone like there cars and hope this clears up any questions for you guys.

Mike
GMMG INC.
Thanks a ton Mike! My wife and I love our Blackbird it is the most awesome, and fun car we have ever owned. You guys do incredible work! The whole package works so well together, handling, performance and great looks.

One more question about the Blackbirds, maybe you could clear up? How many are there?

Some people look at my 380 Blackbird and are "well that isn't really that much" but after we get thru playing around they change their tune. A friend of mine has a pullied 03 cobra and he swears you guys put the wrong hood on my car!!!
Old 05-05-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone know of any quarter mile times for any of those cars (stock)? it should be interesting to see the GTOs if they do some the same way

Quick Reply: What does the GMMG Phase 2 package consist of?