Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

1996 ss question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 1996 ss question

I have recently been looking into 4th gen camaros and after about a month of looking could not wait any longer a finally purchased one?? i was wanting to get others opinions on my decision. It was between a 96 ss camaro and a 01 z28 camaro. The 01 had 104xxx miles and the guy wanted 6000 for it. It sounded pretty good but maybe as if it had been hammered on and he was trying to get rid of it. I wanted this car because it had the ls1 but i instead opted for the 96 ss. I payed 5700 for it. It was a salvage title but only needs minor work on the front control arm and fender. Did i make the right decision. It is number 390 and came with leather interior the slp loudmouth 6speed, stage 2 suspension, rear spoiler, floor mats and had original window sticker and slp option sheet. i think i made the better decision because it is a rarer car but idk if i over paid for it or not. Also it has all the ss emblems and stickers but by the rear taillight there is no bowtie beside the ss badge?? does this mean its not an ss?? i dont see how it couldnt be though cuz it has all the info?? Did they all have this bowtie and where can i get one if they do can anyone rate my decision and tell me more about this car and how it is compared to high mileage stock ls1 car....also in 96 the mirrors were the color of the car i thought but mine is a red car with black mirrors and ttop
Old 07-11-2010, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't say 104k is high miles at all, if you don't plan on selling the 96 and MVA won't give you a fit getting a title than that's fine. But if you have to put more money in that 96 than you think ( which is usually the case) than it's a bad deal. If not you got a good deal. Did they total the 96 SS for minor work that would scare me. How many miles are on the 96 ?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Launching!

it has 64xxx its got every option offered and the guy had all the parts to fix it
Old 07-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its suppose to have the bowtie to the left of the SS emblem on the back panel. The previous owner could have just peeled it off, its just a stick on emblem. Get another if you want it back on there.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Launching!

hey man i went to that site and my car is already registered by the previous owner. First how do i take over this registry to update with new pictures. Second what is the deal with some of the cars saying fake how do u know if its fake......... its car 390 if your interested thanks alot
Old 07-13-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

'96 SS is one of the rarest 4th gens you can possibly get. If I remember off the top of my head, only a little over 2000 SSes were made TOTAL in '96. I'd say... good buy!

Stage 2 suspension was rare. Shouldn't have loudmouth--should have standard Z28 exhaust or two-on-the-left. On your SLP option sheet, if it says "performance exhaust" you should have had TOTL.

I answered your black top and mirror question in the other topic.

If you still haven't found the bowtie, I'll look up the official GM part number for you. I don't want to spend time looking at the parts manual if you've already ordered one.

You need to email Brian new pics and info if you want to update that listing. I send him the occasional fake car--I know they are fakes because of the year of the car (ex: '94 Z28 with SS emblems, hood, and spoiler) and/or I check the RPO codes associated with that VIN #.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just looked up your car on the registry. Can you even read this? It looks unreadable. What extra cost options does your car have in full?

I'm pretty sure the $499 option is the two-on-the-left exhaust, which means your car should have that. It doesn't even look like you have exhaust in this pic...?

Old 07-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Launching!

hey man thanks alot and no i cant find the bowtie anywhere. the slp option sheet came to a total of i think 7103 or somethin like that if you want if can put the different prices it had on it if i mind right therre is a picture of it on the registry page for it
Old 07-13-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, I looked it up for you. It's GM part #10154591

You might end up having to purchase a Z28 emblem, because that's the same part number as the Z28 + bowtie emblem.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Launching!

where can i order that from
Old 07-13-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cheapest:

1. look it up on ebay
2. go to a chevy or other GM dealership and have them order it

2nd option:

google GM parts and the three big online GM parts dealers will come up. Warning though... they have cheap prices, but they charge a minimum of like $13 shipping... which usually ruins the good deal.

Quick Reply: 1996 ss question