Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Value and rarity, 2002 Collectors Edition?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Colour change is a no-no. Not impossible, but certainly impractical. Doing it right would cost a lot, and you'll end up with a bastard car.

And you're right, selling and buying another would also suck since you have to pay HST again.

Although it's too late for you, the moral of the story is to be more pateint when you are buying. You have to set certain criterea that are deal breakers (in your case yellow) that you can not stray from, or you will be disappionted. If you have time, the right one will come along. I wanted a black WS6 6 speed convertible. Looked for months and had to settle for a red one. Colour was not a deal breaker for me, so I can live with it. But I've seen many for sale EXACTLY like the one I wanted after the fact.

Sorry about your dilemma.
Thanks man, and its not a total loss either, the world is far from perfect! And the other thing is vehicle history, some times you wait and end up taking what you can get, come to find out you end up with someones problems or they beat the **** out of it? At least this one (apart from the gear) needs nothing. And by the time I am too old to drive a M6 it may not matter anyhow, with the price of gas they all may be worth ****! Live for today, Les>>>
Old 12-21-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

quote: .....And by the time I am too old to drive a M6...

If you are healthy (and mentally young) you will never be too old to drive a manual. My close to 80 year old neighbor still drives a 5 speed Datsun 280ZX.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

Its your car.. We have a Firehawk and we are modding it to our liking because its our car.. We keep all the stock parts for it if and when we decide to sell it.. We bought different color Firehawk decals for when we decide to paint it. Might not keep it white. I am sure that they make different color Ann decals that you can buy for it if you decide to paint it.

News flash.. A T/A no matter collector edition or not is a piece of history. And only true collectors will be into buying a collector edition in the future. Most people I talk to say they hate the way they look anyways..
Old 12-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1998silverbird
Its your car.. We have a Firehawk and we are modding it to our liking because its our car.. We keep all the stock parts for it if and when we decide to sell it.. We bought different color Firehawk decals for when we decide to paint it. Might not keep it white. I am sure that they make different color Ann decals that you can buy for it if you decide to paint it.

News flash.. A T/A no matter collector edition or not is a piece of history. And only true collectors will be into buying a collector edition in the future. Most people I talk to say they hate the way they look anyways..
Well I have wondered about that myself because they don't move fast on the market! And I agree that we all have a piece of history, I was more concerned about devaluing the car more than what people think, I knew what I wanted before I went looking. This job would be a "take apart" colour change and done right, it won't be cheap but it will all mine! Thanks for sharing your experience, Les>>>
Old 01-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2002 T/A
OK, but to what end? Garage queen, resale for money or simple collector status? If I were Jay Leno (who paced the track in one BTW), I would have one for collectors value exclusively. But to hardly drive it and reserve it for car shows makes it a hobby instead of a street machine, these cars need to be driven IMHO.
Ive got an 02 WS6 garage queen that I said I'd never mod and a couple years later its got a cam, headers, U/D pulley, air lid, full exhaust, rims, rotors, etc. It's only got 2300 miles but I've kept everything that I've taken off of it so I can put it back to stock. I think as long as you keep everything to where you can put it back, then you're fine.
As far as painting a collector's edition TA, I'd never do that. That would completely ruin the point of the car. I think it'd be pretty difficult to sell a green, red, blue, etc CETA down the road.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Point taken and I agree based on if the only selling point was being a CETA. I just don't see them moving nearly as fast as the WS6 TA of the same year.
"News flash.. A T/A no matter collector edition or not is a piece of history. And only true collectors will be into buying a collector edition in the future. Most people I talk to say they hate the way they look anyways.." Even though this quote convieniently supports one side of the discussion, from what I can see its accurate? I think the only reason GM made a CETA yellow was because you couldn't get the colour otherwise, apart from the badges and embroidering it is the same car? Now in the interest of preserving history, I should have not replaced the noisy 3:42 with a nice 3:73 and left it for show days only, but I would like to drive and enjoy it. As for green, they did offer it just not in this year. Yellow or green, not much chance of meeting my clone on cruise night, thanks for your opinion! Les>>>
Old 01-05-2011, 05:41 AM
TECH Regular

man there is nothing like showing up to a car show and having maybe the only CETA there or maybe rolling in with your twin!
im an ******* so im going to post alot of pics....that and i really have missed it this past year ive been in iraq cant wait to come home and drive my #24 baby!

hell even twin fight my A4 vs twins M6 (first time at track)
Old 01-05-2011, 05:43 AM
TECH Regular

PS sorry for the crappy night pics didnt realize how bad they were..... oppps
Old 01-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Launching!

No problem, nice pics just the same! You are making me feel guilty, maybe I should sell it! They are hard to find (any T/A) in Canada!
Old 01-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In all honesty trans Am Prices have dropped and if you plan on enjoying your car and putting some miles on it I wouldn't worry about painting it because no one will pay any real money for a CETA if it has high mileage. If anybody actually wanted to but one of those for there collection they'd go find someone who has one with a couple thousand miles that was rarely every driven. Honestly when it comes to selling a CETA you really have to find the right buyer. I have been looking for a M6 SS for a Firehawk or maybe a WS6. I really want a 99 Anniversary since the 30th was the last true Anniversay TA. Honesttly unless it had low miles ot was really cheap i wouldn't get one my friend has one and the color just doesn't work for me, my 1st mod would be a color change. As long as you do all the door, hatch, and other jambs, make sure it's painted proberly then paint it whatever color you want I honestly doubt the car will be worth much if your like me and enjoy driving your car. I just hit 88k and can't wait for 90k then 100k means i'm usung the car for what I got it for to drive it, mod it, and enjoy it. I wanna change my white to SOM if I have the spare money down the rad when I have to rebuild the motor.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

The market moves faster for regular WS6's because hte market is full of mod-intended buyers, not collectors sitting back with some swill and a cigar in hand.

You need to flip the car back into market to someone who wants it, not repaint it and kill what value it has over regular WS6's.

This reminds me of this dealer guy I know that came into my store and told me a story about how a guy bought a Lightning from him, then came back a couple days later wondering why all he would do from a stop is burnout.

The dealer said "It's a collector's edition truck with lots of horsepower. What did you expect?"

The guy replied with "What makes this so different than a regular F150?"

To which he just shook his head.

All the buyer saw was lines and what pleased him about them without knowing the history of the vehicle or what he had bought.

Honestly, why would you buy the yellow car without doing any research? Haven't you noticed that the hood stripes aren't used on any other car, as well as the feather decals on the side? The emblem isn't shared with its brothers, and when bought new this car came with a "birth certificate".

C'mon, yo. You kind of snookered yourself into having this problem.

The seats have custom embroidery, plus if somebody collected and kept everything in the car you should have gotten notepads, pens, tire gauges, an art book, custom floor mats, a poster, detailing cloth, and maybe other things with the "Collector Edition" logo.

Put this car back in the market and buy something you can paint without feeling guilty.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

i didnt like the yellow either,but it grew on me.i now own a daytona yellow 69 camaro rs/ss and a velocity yellow 07 z06,i did have a yellow gsxr600 and i would've never owned anything yellow before i got the ceta.... too bad it was stolen....the ceta is beautiful.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Launching!

Wow, what a contrast in opinions, thanks. I will try to keep this short. Last fall there were no decent WS6s around, there still are none. This one has 45,000 kms and was a theft recovery likely due to a lease repo. The floor mats are gone and all the original documents including the owners manual are gone. My last ride was and is a Supercharged Jimmy that I bought new in 97 and has 90,000 kms to date, so I keep my vehicles and take care of them. The 2002 CETA is likely the last muscle car that I will own in my soon to be 48 years, I hope to still have it when I can't afford to retire at 75! I love Pontiac and have had many, this is by far the best and I love driving her, I just hate yellow. I can get a professional colour change for $6,000, full take apart, with tri colour paint done right. After what I have learned and with the kms I will put on over the next 15 years (like my Jimmy) I think the CETA status will not out weigh my fun. Yes, if I have to sell it sooner or on the day someone may ask the question. I think by 2026 no T/A will break the bank but I will have had mine to drive. Right now there are a couple around for $25,000-$28,000, I paid under $20,000 for mine, I think they are overpriced. The WS6s are far more reasonable but with much higher kms, most are modded (who would have guessed). I very much appreciate the opinions, these cars are more work than a fiesty red head!!!!!!!!! Les...
Old 01-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by caramaro
i didnt like the yellow either,but it grew on me.i now own a daytona yellow 69 camaro rs/ss and a velocity yellow 07 z06,i did have a yellow gsxr600 and i would've never owned anything yellow before i got the ceta.... too bad it was stolen....the ceta is beautiful.
Sorry to hear that, our VINs don't match BTW. Maybe Yellow is bad luck
Old 01-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RikkiTorment
I definitely wouldn't say that a Stang is worthy... But I would say that if I had an 02 CETA, I'd definitely try to keep it as close to factory and keep the miles off of it as much as possible. In terms of modding it, I wouldn't go any further than some of the SLP options like a catback and cai.
i also feel like a stang is NOT WORTHY
Old 01-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ ryanjm im going to have to check out vettech once i move back to houston because i need my t/a tuned
Old 03-14-2019, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2002 T/A
If I were Jay Leno (who paced the track in one BTW),
Pretty sure that was my CETA... I've got a pic of him in my car... it was in a folder in the car with all the other documentation when I got it.

Quick Reply: Value and rarity, 2002 Collectors Edition?