Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Value and rarity, 2002 Collectors Edition?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value and rarity, 2002 Collectors Edition?

I am new to an F-body and this site. The more I read on the more I realize how attached we all get to our rides! Not to say that a Vette, Challenger or Stang is not worthy, but I have always been GMC trucks and Pontiac cars. So in saying that and being respectful of personal preferences, is there a point that we can devalue our rides with mods or is that just the nature/price of being a car nut? For instance (I am looking for opinions), the WS6 T/A that I bought had the least kms and was in the best shape for the distance I was willing to travel. I am very happy with the ride, but I hate YELLOW! When I look at all the mods done to these beauties would a paint job be a bad idea? I didn't buy it to invest, and I love the lines!! I don't think a new skin would devalue the car just because its a Collectors Edition but I would like to hear what others in the know think. Thanks, Les>>>
Old 12-16-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 232 Likes on 184 Posts

Despite lack of "rarity", and relatively speaking, any anniversary or special edition model will tend to hold its value better than a comparable non-anniv/SE version of the same car.

There were ALOT more '99 30ths and '02 CETAs built than say, SGM or BPM WS6s in '98. But all else being equal (miles, overall condition), a 30th or CETA will be more sought-after than a "plain old" WS6 regardless if it was lower production for the year it was built. With rare exceptions, a commemorative model trumps rare color combinations.

If you don't like yellow, sell your CETA to someone who does and get a different car. IMO, it'd be a shame to repaint one a different color, and for sure it will hurt re-sale value.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

^ I agree. IMHO the CETA cars should remain 100% original and stock. Alot of guys on here will argue that. But history will tell a different story. You should sell it, and buy a reg WS6 in the color you prefer. And mod that how you like.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 537 Likes on 385 Posts

Simply put, if you paint your yellow CETA a different color you will have very little buyer interest in your car come selling time. There are too many CETA cars out there as it is and yours would then be at the bottom of the 'collector' list, especially with mods in addition to the paint change. It is your car so do whatever you want but this is the answer you asked about. The 'collector' factor will be almost dead.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Launching!

OK and well said by all, thanks. Honestly, I didn't know that the Collector status was held this high for the T/A? I missed out on more that one WS6 T/A with comparable mileage while 3 CETAs sat there waiting for a buyer, I thought this was due to the Yellow paint? I agree that if a purist collector T/A buyer was looking, the most original would be in demand, no question. But, most of these cars are not original therefore are we all not tainted? I am not arguing, don't get me wrong, it just seems that the only difference is a badge, black rims, embroidering and Yellow paint? We love them because they are a Trans Am and like nothing else, I personally didn't buy mine for resale, I love the car! Can anyone comment on the purpose of producing the CETA, how much real value does it have in todays world? When I was looking, I found the pricing was no more than $2000 over a WS6 and in cases where a WS6 was mint and/or custom paint they were asking more??? I would love to hear more because in buying this one it was hard to compare apples for apples. Thanks, Les>>>
Old 12-17-2010, 07:40 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the future value of the car. Mod it to your personal tastes and enjoy it! Then later on if you decide to sell it, the next owner can restore it if they so desire.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Personally, I wouldn't worry about the future value of the car. Mod it to your personal tastes and enjoy it! Then later on if you decide to sell it, the next owner can restore it if they so desire.
Thanks man, 1 for 3- keep it coming!
Old 12-17-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

This might help
http://www.collectorfbody.com/
Old 12-17-2010, 11:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Thanks, I checked it out, no communication yet, I am starting to feel guilty like I'm cheating on her???
If GM had made her Dark Green Metallic I wouldn't be struggling!!!
Old 12-18-2010, 03:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002 T/A
I am new to an F-body and this site. The more I read on the more I realize how attached we all get to our rides! Not to say that a Vette, Challenger or Stang is not worthy, but I have always been GMC trucks and Pontiac cars. So in saying that and being respectful of personal preferences, is there a point that we can devalue our rides with mods or is that just the nature/price of being a car nut? For instance (I am looking for opinions), the WS6 T/A that I bought had the least kms and was in the best shape for the distance I was willing to travel. I am very happy with the ride, but I hate YELLOW! When I look at all the mods done to these beauties would a paint job be a bad idea? I didn't buy it to invest, and I love the lines!! I don't think a new skin would devalue the car just because its a Collectors Edition but I would like to hear what others in the know think. Thanks, Les>>>
I definitely wouldn't say that a Stang is worthy... But I would say that if I had an 02 CETA, I'd definitely try to keep it as close to factory and keep the miles off of it as much as possible. In terms of modding it, I wouldn't go any further than some of the SLP options like a catback and cai.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RikkiTorment
I definitely wouldn't say that a Stang is worthy... But I would say that if I had an 02 CETA, I'd definitely try to keep it as close to factory and keep the miles off of it as much as possible. In terms of modding it, I wouldn't go any further than some of the SLP options like a catback and cai.
OK, but to what end? Garage queen, resale for money or simple collector status? If I were Jay Leno (who paced the track in one BTW), I would have one for collectors value exclusively. But to hardly drive it and reserve it for car shows makes it a hobby instead of a street machine, these cars need to be driven IMHO.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

it sounds like you have the wrong car for your taste. yes you can mod it change the color etc. but that's not the intent for a "collectors edition". as much as you hate to hear it, that car deserves to be kept original and in pristine condition. think of it as a special piece of history. IMHO you should sell the car and try to get a good premium over an ordinary bird. Use that money to buy a regular trans am/ws6 and mod the **** out of it.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002 T/A
! Can anyone comment on the purpose of producing the CETA
Pontiac done it to celebrate the 35th Anniversary of the Firebird
Old 12-18-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't post much but I have to stop you from painting this car lol

Don't do it, please! I think bolt-ons are ok or anything that can revert back to stock! Which leaves you with a lot of modding you can do and power you can make When it comes to modding the engine internals, drivetrain, or mods that simply can not be removed it will lose value. Especially if you have it repainted! That collector yellow is what "makes" the ceta...
Old 12-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Teching In

i own a ceta,not sure how many were made for Canada,but i would agree that you should look into other options like selling the ceta and buying a t/a ws6 that is more to what you like,there were waaaay more 98-02 ws6 cars than ceta cars.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02transamce
i own a ceta,not sure how many were made for Canada,but i would agree that you should look into other options like selling the ceta and buying a t/a ws6 that is more to what you like,there were waaaay more 98-02 ws6 cars than ceta cars.
I have been shopping for a WS6 M6, no hits of interest in the Auto Trader across Canada. I have found a couple of CETAs one of which is still on the market from when I bought mine, they don't move fast! More ragtops than anything in both versions. The WS6s are there and gone, seem to be in more demand. I don't think the average T/A shopper see's the value in a CETA, are willing to pay the $20,000 and maybe don't care for the Yellow. I think they just want a TA with higher mileage for $15,000 to own and drive???

Last edited by 2002 T/A; 12-19-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:13 AM
10 Second Club

I've been around the 20th anniversary cars for years modding them, racing them, and rebuilding them so I've often given thought to how rare some of them are. In the end my opinion is that it's a car and you should do what makes you happy with it, not what might make others happy with it. That said I think you'd be better off selling it and finding one in a color you prefer. I think you will save alot of time, work, and money that way.

If you cant find a WS6 in a color you like I'd suggest looking for a Trans Am or Formula with the options you want (exterior interior combination and transmission) and put the WS6 parts on it. Only real difference is the hood/airbox, power steering cooler, and sway bar from my understanding.

Either way, have fun with it
Old 12-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TTA850
I've been around the 20th anniversary cars for years modding them, racing them, and rebuilding them so I've often given thought to how rare some of them are. In the end my opinion is that it's a car and you should do what makes you happy with it, not what might make others happy with it. That said I think you'd be better off selling it and finding one in a color you prefer. I think you will save alot of time, work, and money that way.

If you cant find a WS6 in a color you like I'd suggest looking for a Trans Am or Formula with the options you want (exterior interior combination and transmission) and put the WS6 parts on it. Only real difference is the hood/airbox, power steering cooler, and sway bar from my understanding.

Either way, have fun with it
Thanks man, and with total respect to all those who have taken the time to reply, that's my moral issue to struggle with! If I could have found a WS6 Black or Blue that would be it. Most of them were 60,000 to 100,000 kms and at least half were modded in some way. This car now has 46,000 kms on it, drove it for 3 weeks. The rims are curb rashed, the striping is nicked, drivers door panel cracked and I had to change the gear due to noise, but otherwise very clean. I paid more because it was the only decent one I could find to buy and the kms were low. My plans are to keep it and enjoy it well into my retirement. Even if I had a buyer, to replace it with comparable kms would be the same cost plus the cost of rebuying (13% tax), then find another. To repaint it will be another $7,000 done right, but it will be one of a kind and unique which BTW is what we all want! In for a penny, in for a pound!! I love Pontiac and this car, but I think in the Spirit of Excitement we all have our own vision on what beauty is. Many thanks, Les>>>
Old 12-19-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Colour change is a no-no. Not impossible, but certainly impractical. Doing it right would cost a lot, and you'll end up with a bastard car.

And you're right, selling and buying another would also suck since you have to pay HST again.

Although it's too late for you, the moral of the story is to be more pateint when you are buying. You have to set certain criterea that are deal breakers (in your case yellow) that you can not stray from, or you will be disappionted. If you have time, the right one will come along. I wanted a black WS6 6 speed convertible. Looked for months and had to settle for a red one. Colour was not a deal breaker for me, so I can live with it. But I've seen many for sale EXACTLY like the one I wanted after the fact.

Sorry about your dilemma.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

^ What he said. It would be much cheaper to sell the car and get one in the color you want. A good, full repaint will run a lot of money. It may hurt the value down the road but currently I doubt a fully stripped and repainted car will go for much less than a CETA will but it's going to cost a lot more than selling and buying the right color. If you are only repainting the outside it will kill the value and look like *** every time you pop the hood or open the door/hatch.

Quick Reply: Value and rarity, 2002 Collectors Edition?