Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

-gmmg officially bankrupt-

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blk01gmmg
yea but no paper work stamped heads nothing.... if all we wanted was a fast f-body i think we could have all found a cheaper route... but we got our gmmg cars to be a part of a fortunate few who could get there hands on and upgrade theirs through gmmg so would it keep its value by doin outside upgrades idk to me it becomes just another fast f-body IMO
I've got to agree with you. If the work wasn't done by GMMG what's the point.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

Trust me, the GMMG cars are not worth a lot now compared to what people paid for them years ago, everybody and there brother produces aftermarker muscle cars ie. SLP ZL-1. The production of this car destroys the value of the GMMG ZL-1 and the horsepower is only getting better with the introduction of the 2010 Camaro!, futhermore these cars have NO race history compared to the 1960's and 1970's Camaro's.

The next best thing to GMMG is having Vengeance do any and all of your upgrades, someone sometime is going to have to work on your GMMG car for some reason or another so to me Ron and Mike are the perfect people who do things right the first time and don't jerk you around like GMMG did. I also think if all the GMMG owners align ourselves with Vengeance Racing it will only help with keeping the value up on our cars. GMMG will somehow merge with Vengeance Racing down the road.

As far as some people thinking their car will go down in value by letting someone else do any upgrades to the car, who cares. My Tom Henry cars is probably only worth 25K on the market, however it has all the best equipment on it and is a B4C COPO so it makes sense to turn that Camaro into the baddest GMMG car ever. Unfortnalty the GMMG cars are never going to fetch the price of muscle cars of the 60's and 70's again they have no race history, so at this point you might as well use them and enjoy them. Don't get me wrong folks I love these cars however you have to be realistic on what these cars are worth and will be worth in the future.

Last edited by ZL1 #14; 03-06-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a sad day indeed. No matter your opinion of Matt and/or GMMG it is unfortunate to see a company with such a rich history close shop. GMMG was and more than likely always will be known for producing some of the baddest/most powerful/most sought after 4th generation F Bodies of all time. Matt was able to work closely with GM and made things happen no other shop could dream of.

I spent 5 years at GMMG and saw first hand what went into these builds and the "uniqueness" of a GMMG built Camaro. I also saw the dedication Matt put into each build to ensure the end result would exceed the customers expectations and live up to the high standards GMMG was known for.

I cant say that I honestly know what the GMMG cars will do as far as value in the future. There are hundreds of "tuner shops" out there all producing "packages" for these cars. I dont think one of them holds a candle to what GMMG was able to accomplish with GM as well as others such as Valerie Harrell/Dale Earnhardt/Helen Gibb and many others. The cars hold a special value to alot of folks and were built in honor of and in memory of legends from our past. While some might consider it nothing more than slamming a badge on an 02 Camaro, others know the importance and the symbolism of the build. Obviously having been a part of GMMG for so many years it would be my hope these Camaros do continue to rise in value. Only time will tell.

My thoughts on upgrading GMMG cars varies depending on the customer... If you drive your car and use it as it was intended I do not feel modifying it going to hurt it in anyway. If your GMMG car is in a capsulated bubble somewhere and you plan to unveil it in 2050 with 5 original miles on it then I would probably hold off on any modifications other than what it originally came with.

That being said, I have talked with MANY GMMG customers over the past few years while at Vengeance Racing. We have serviced/maintained quite a few of these vehicles and we have upgraded a dozen or so as well. To some, the importance lies in knowing that your GMMG car is in trusted hands and will be treated as if it were still at GMMG. On that note, there is no better shop than Vengeance Racing. Both Mike Carnahan and myself played a very large role in the production of these Camaros and I do not feel anyone in the country knows them any better than the two of us.

FWIW, I have mentioned to Matt that if he would ever consider it we would be honored to work with him to provide upgrades specfic to what GMMG offered in the past while he provides the documentation to support said upgrades. Matt has not accepted/nor declined this offer. Maybe at some point Vengeance Racing will be the "authorized" service/upgrade facility for all of our GMMG Camaro owners out there.

As mentioned above, while are not "authorized" to provide documentation on these vehicles we are more than happy to offer any maintenance/upgrades/service we can to ensure your GMMG Camaro remains the best that it can be. For those of you like ZL-1 #14 who want to take the plunge and take things to the "next level" we are MORE than capable of that as well. In the coming weeks you will see a very detailed build featuring Dougs GMMG Tom Henry Camaro being fitted with a 500 cubic inch small block as well as many other supporting modifications.

Matt, if you stumble across this please know that the Camaro community is forever indebted to you for what you have done and what you have accomplished. Mike and myself would love to continue to support your dreams as well as all of your customers dreams by offering the services discussed above.

Ron Mowen
Owner
Vengeance Racing
Old 03-04-2011, 12:49 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Well said Ron. Anything else is speculative pure bull ****.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 35thAnniversaryPhil
I just took a look at GMMGINC.net and the site is still up for now. It seams to be the only thing left.

Maybe Matt will rise from the ashes!

Somebody must still be paying for the GMMG site to be up?

http://www.gmmginc.net/

Or maybe its just waiting till the prepaid contract is up.
The way websites work is they stay up until your hosting contract and/or domain name expires. Pretty much whichever expires first.

GMMG cars will hold their value in my opinion. They are the only aftermarket f-bodies with any sort of major documentation concerning production information and options. Even Callaway Camaros don't have that. Mechams do to some extent, but they didn't make many of them, and don't have any published production numbers to my knowledge. The rest of the aftermarket Camaros and Firebirds lack, essentially, a pedigree. The Avanti conversions might have some, but I don't know, as they were a Firebird conversion and I don't follow Firebirds.

The GMMG Camaros and Firebirds will remain collectible, interesting, and cool for decades to come with or without GMMG. It's just such a shame that Matt's business hasn't been doing so well the past few years. He did manage to give the 4th gens the last HURRAH they really deserved.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

I really like what Ron said! I have talked to them about upgrading my car and would have nobody else touch my GMMG Blackbird based on there expierience with GMMG cars. If Matt ever comes on board with Vengence and provides documentation my car will be heading to Vengence immediatly!

02 Year One Blackbird #4 380HP
Old 03-05-2011, 03:47 AM
Teching In

I'm confused about the posted link for bankruptcy. I can't access it from over here(limits of my satlink), however bankruptcy is a federal filing not local. Also what I can see of it is that it's a civil suit between two parties. It also seems to list the two plaintiffs as vs each other and Matt/GMMG named as a 3rd party defendant.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:16 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Good discussion going on in here!
Old 03-09-2011, 05:58 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Vengeance is the de facto GMMG. Maybe Matt will come along one day and make it a reality. As far as what happens to Matt, it has little or no effect on the cars he built. They will stand on their own. Look at the Yenkos and Yenko was shuttered decades ago. There is no correlation at all between the builders demise and the cars he built.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:52 AM
TECH Veteran

cant believe i missed this one. sad to see them go
Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

I supposed the market pressure of the 2008-2009 recession might of had a role in GMMG's undoing. It seams logical that projects like building a higher performance limited edition car would have a greater possibility of being placed on the back-burner for most people during the recession and even still now. I know that besides building special edition cars, they did regular shop work as well but maybe that stream of revenue was not enough to support them.

I can personally say that I was getting confused as to what went in to all their performance upgrades which they called "Phases". It seamed that they had phases from I to V sometimes with X's in them furthermore adding numbers to them. Besides the numerical number designations, they had people's names like Earnhardt and Harrel as well as model names like Intimadator and ZL1 on top of having dealership names like Tom Henry and Berger plus having magazine cars like Hot Rod. I know I'm only scratching the surface and it is very confusing if you are not an enthusiast. I am and I am still confused. Its a good thing we have the GMMG Registry to help sort through the all these special edition cars.

On a positive note while looking back on GMMG, its end put a cap on the creation of new models, upgrades, phases, designations putting an end to the madness and allowing the cars that do exist to appreciate and grow in value over time with no more saturation effect being present.

Last edited by 35thAnniversaryPhil; 03-15-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Gmmg

GMMG was the **** IMO and besides putting out some bad *** phase #ed cars ,,,actually had one of the nicest sounding and looking exhuast that you could possibly buy and put on the F body (Hands down) Im sure these stainless chambered exhaust that were like $900 new, will now be going for big money as did the discontinued SLP CME exhaust tips and valances
Old 03-16-2011, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

Default Gmmg

I feel bad for Matt and his employees, however his reputation has been tarnished to the extent that I dont think anyone would ever bring their high dollar GMMG car to him for any type of modifcation, even if he said he was back in business.

I believe it is time for all GMMG owners to move on with our hobby, either sell you GMMG car or find another speed shop to do your work on these great cars.

If you think these cars will be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in the future, then dont touch it for 30 years, or like me just go out and enjoy them, then in 30 years restore it to it's original condition.

Unless Matt finds someone to invest $500,000 dollars in GMMG INC. I think it's a done deal friends. His only other option is to merge with someone like Vengeance Racing
Old 03-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Teching In

I don't think we can deny that Matt was an honorable business man and inovative. IMO Matt is responsible in great part for the resurgance of interest by GM in very fast camaros. ( Remember GM was finishing with the camaro when Matt was creating great very fast camaros including the 427 cars ). Personally every transaction I ever had with him on both my ZL1 and Hot Rod was clean with no bs. Unfortunately he was dealing with a lot of very tough things at the same time. Including a divorce, loosing his two best men, a very weak economy, health issues and the fifth gen camaro.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by daytonajim
I've been watching this post since Feb. 10th & no-one has come up with an 'official' (or unofficial) bankruptcy document yet. Why?

Do you really have the facts right of just think you do?

Where are you getting your information?

How do you feel about all this?
It is all a matter of public records. Maybe you weren't looking closely enough....and since you insist....

The civil case makes reference to the bankruptcy filing under pleadings dated 10/27, 10/29 and 11/03.

Additionally, general bankruptcy information may be found at www.PACER.gov (Public Access to Court Electronic Records). You will need an easily obtainable UserID to access the case under Georgia-Northern-ECF. Run a query under name or business and History will show all the documents filed.

As for my personal feelings on this...... LOL!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:27 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Edit..Nevermind.

Last edited by Damian; 04-01-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

I just read through all of the court docs for the lawsuit in those docs and as off 9/12/11 gmmg was ordered to pay almost 84k to the people who sued him I hope matt surfaces after all this b.s anyway. Besides if it wasnt for matts vision for 4th gen f-bodies most wouldnt be curious to how much there car is worth or saying there glad they sold it. There wouldnt be cars to worry about.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bloombox1
I just read through all of the court docs for the lawsuit in those docs and as off 9/12/11 gmmg was ordered to pay almost 84k to the people who sued him I hope matt surfaces after all this b.s anyway. Besides if it wasnt for matts vision for 4th gen f-bodies most wouldnt be curious to how much there car is worth or saying there glad they sold it. There wouldnt be cars to worry about.
Ouch!

If he would still have one brand new 2002 ZL1 PHASE III lying around, then he could pay it off one shot. Those cars sold brand new for 80K-90K... back then but forget about it now

Last edited by 35thAnniversaryPhil; 10-03-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

I wounder if there is any new news on GMMG? Where is Matt Murphy? Is he in jail or something, he has not released any statement to the community about the whole thing.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

I have gotten his home number and left a message but he has not responded? I know he had gotten himself into trouble but nothing serious. Thats the last i have seen of anything current on him.

Quick Reply: -gmmg officially bankrupt-