Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Questions about 1995 1le z28???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions about 1995 1le z28???

I found one I'm interested in buying. I have the vin but don't have the RPO list. The car has ac controls in it(thought you couldn't get a 1le with air till 96?) and it is a hard top, 6 speed car. It's purple. Manual Windows. Cloth interior. Has the wrong wheels on it. Has 5 spoked 96-97 wheels on it cast not polished.

If it's a 1le would it have a block off plate there? Never owned a lt1 1le only 👍3rd generation. I'm trying to get the owner to send me RPO codes but if he doesn't anything else I need to look for? No fog light car. Could it just be a stripper z28 and the owner thinks it's a 1le cause it has ac?
Old 06-22-2016, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

Could t be a b4c car?
Old 06-23-2016, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

Name:  AE3D1922-C692-4EEF-8A25-3B32322A3A52_zpsezrfiwks.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  5389B150-2437-4F7E-98F7-B210C70913E1_zpsh5efbmk1.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  49.9 KB

Pictures of the car in question
Old 06-24-2016, 05:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder if it even has an LT1 under the hood
Old 06-24-2016, 06:31 AM
TECH Resident

It does?... Uh. That's a kinda random non helpful post
Old 06-29-2016, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Does the car still have the RPO decal on the inside of the glove box door? If so, "1LE" or "B4C" should be listed there.

You should also be able to take your VIN# to a GM dealer / parts desk and they should be able to print out all the RPO codes for your car. That or a few bucks at CompNine.com will get you that info too.

FYI, there were 8 purple 1LEs w/ M6 built in '95, and only 2 purple B4Cs w/ M6. T-tops were not optional on either of these option codes.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
Does the car still have the RPO decal on the inside of the glove box door? If so, "1LE" or "B4C" should be listed there.

You should also be able to take your VIN# to a GM dealer / parts desk and they should be able to print out all the RPO codes for your car. That or a few bucks at CompNine.com will get you that info too.

FYI, there were 8 purple 1LEs w/ M6 built in '95, and only 2 purple B4Cs w/ M6. T-tops were not optional on either of these option codes.
I went to a dealer since I couldn't get a code and it is a stripped model and the owner claimed 1le it is not. Even put 1le badges all over it and it's not one lol
Old 07-12-2016, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by david068513
I went to a dealer since I couldn't get a code and it is a stripped model and the owner claimed 1le it is not. Even put 1le badges all over it and it's not one lol
Nice job doing your homework!
Old 07-15-2016, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

LOL, badges where the factory never put them is the first clue that the car is not what the badges claim it is.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:16 AM

Default Well

I found one I'm interested in buying. I have the vin but don't have the RPO list. The car has ac controls in it(thought you couldn't get a 1le with air till 96?) and it is a hard top, 6 speed car. It's purple. Manual Windows. Cloth interior. Has the wrong wheels on it. Has 5 spoked 96-97 wheels on it cast not polished.

If it's a 1le would it have a block off plate there? Never owned a lt1 1le only 👍3rd generation. I'm trying to get the owner to send me RPO codes but if he doesn't anything else I need to look for? No fog light car. Could it just be a stripper z28 and the owner thinks it's a 1le cause it has ac?
**********lol my buddy and i just happened to pick up this same exact car
Old 11-16-2020, 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

I too owned a true 1996 Z28 1LE... Sold it to a buddy... the car was very rare....
Old 01-04-2021, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Default So yeah, I bought it

So here I am, the guy who has to fix up this "1LE" Camaro someone has built.
props to whoever did, I mean he tried to make a 1LE, it is a stripper car, no power windows or doors, no a/c, heat works. Has a hurst short shifter kit, 6-speed. As I have purchased it, it has a set of crane 1.6 roller rocker arms, the airbox has been deleted, it has an MSD distributor. Someone had purchased an SLP loudmouth exhaust kit for it, but didnt hook it up, I cut the exhaust and bolted it up nicely.
when I got it, it was not running. This cars odometer only reads 82,000 miles, which is surprisingly low.
all the ground wires that bolt up to the heat sink for the ICM were loose, and had been smooshed so much that the rings themselves had split open.
the cruise control throttle cable has been deleted, for muh throttle response. To achieve the quickest throttle response though, a special high-speed-low-drag washer and zip-tie setup was used.

the airbox has been deleted, of course, and the mad lad even went so far as to fabricate a mount for the AIR pump right in front of the intake. I believe he was using the air pump as a sort of forced induction system for drag racing?

OH and I also forgot, this car also has tubular welded subframe reinforcements so, that's a nice little bonus.

Luckily, since I have another '95 z/28, I have the Tunercats and Datacat programs that allow me to read and reprogram the Tech 1 PCM's, soooo I copied the filed from this "1le" camaro, and overlaid it with the stock file I have for my other '95, which is also a T-56 tranny.
comparing the two Files, I notice a couple changes. For one thing, the MAF sensor values have been modified to read much more airflow at higher RPMS. Additionally, the fuel RPM cutoff has been raised around 5-600 RPMS on all gears in this 1LE camaro. So from what I can tell, this car would redline closer to around 6100, 6200 RPM.

When I purchased the car, the gauge pod cluster as shown in the original photos from 2016 has been removed. I found the housing for it in the trunk, and the wiring for the gauges are dangling through the firewall, but no gauges. I blocked off a vacuum line, and respliced the block temp sensor wire back together.

Here's another twist to the mystery
There is a Plaque affixed to the inside of this cars engine bay, that says it was a dragway participant in the 1996 Super Chevy Super Show drag race at the New England Dragway. Soooo was this car all tricked out as a "1LE" camaro when it raced back then? I found a few videos of races from that show, but none of my new Camaro.

All this is neat and fine, but I am having a problem with adjusting the timing or something. It popcorns out the exhaust, has very bad part throttle drivability. I have driven it around a little, if you hold the throttle steady at a set RPM, it will drive pretty decent, but any movement of the throttle up or down and it will start popping like crazy.

I may just end up reflashing the pcm to the same file as my other Camaro, to see if it changed anything. Since I can copy and paste the files as much as I want, if it doesn't work, I can always flash it right back to the original. I suspect that the MSD distributor probably has something to do with this popcorn issue. I've figured out that if you turn the ignition screw too far out, or too far in, the car wont start, but once it's started, you can adjust it however you want to, and it will drive kinda. Although if you screw it too far out it will stall when you let off the clutch, and too far in and it wont go anywhere when you hit the gas.
I Called MSD support and the guy said 2 turns out is factory setting, I set it there, but it still pops on acceleration.

If anyone has any suggestions on where to look next for this popping problem, I'd love to hear it lol.

Here's some pics of what the car looks like now.

Stock suspension?

I cannot make out the manufacturer's name, anyone knownwho makes these?

Red is Intake, Blue is AIR pump, and yellow is some kinda custom mount fabricated to relocate the air pump from the front face of the engine, to directly in front of the intake. This was done at the same time of the air box delete, because you cannot put a stock air box in as the mount interferes with it's fitment. Additionally, the clip has been broken off the plug that goes into the air pump, because of the way it it fit in there, the plug would not go in unless the clip was broken.

Riller rocker arms underneath oil breather.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:07 PM

Default Your missing the ATI Pro Charger that was on this car

Originally Posted by SlippinSlide
So here I am, the guy who has to fix up this "1LE" Camaro someone has built.
props to whoever did, I mean he tried to make a 1LE, it is a stripper car, no power windows or doors, no a/c, heat works. Has a hurst short shifter kit, 6-speed. As I have purchased it, it has a set of crane 1.6 roller rocker arms, the airbox has been deleted, it has an MSD distributor. Someone had purchased an SLP loudmouth exhaust kit for it, but didnt hook it up, I cut the exhaust and bolted it up nicely.
when I got it, it was not running. This cars odometer only reads 82,000 miles, which is surprisingly low.
all the ground wires that bolt up to the heat sink for the ICM were loose, and had been smooshed so much that the rings themselves had split open.
the cruise control throttle cable has been deleted, for muh throttle response. To achieve the quickest throttle response though, a special high-speed-low-drag washer and zip-tie setup was used.

the airbox has been deleted, of course, and the mad lad even went so far as to fabricate a mount for the AIR pump right in front of the intake. I believe he was using the air pump as a sort of forced induction system for drag racing?

OH and I also forgot, this car also has tubular welded subframe reinforcements so, that's a nice little bonus.

Luckily, since I have another '95 z/28, I have the Tunercats and Datacat programs that allow me to read and reprogram the Tech 1 PCM's, soooo I copied the filed from this "1le" camaro, and overlaid it with the stock file I have for my other '95, which is also a T-56 tranny.
comparing the two Files, I notice a couple changes. For one thing, the MAF sensor values have been modified to read much more airflow at higher RPMS. Additionally, the fuel RPM cutoff has been raised around 5-600 RPMS on all gears in this 1LE camaro. So from what I can tell, this car would redline closer to around 6100, 6200 RPM.

When I purchased the car, the gauge pod cluster as shown in the original photos from 2016 has been removed. I found the housing for it in the trunk, and the wiring for the gauges are dangling through the firewall, but no gauges. I blocked off a vacuum line, and respliced the block temp sensor wire back together.

Here's another twist to the mystery
There is a Plaque affixed to the inside of this cars engine bay, that says it was a dragway participant in the 1996 Super Chevy Super Show drag race at the New England Dragway. Soooo was this car all tricked out as a "1LE" camaro when it raced back then? I found a few videos of races from that show, but none of my new Camaro.

All this is neat and fine, but I am having a problem with adjusting the timing or something. It popcorns out the exhaust, has very bad part throttle drivability. I have driven it around a little, if you hold the throttle steady at a set RPM, it will drive pretty decent, but any movement of the throttle up or down and it will start popping like crazy.

I may just end up reflashing the pcm to the same file as my other Camaro, to see if it changed anything. Since I can copy and paste the files as much as I want, if it doesn't work, I can always flash it right back to the original. I suspect that the MSD distributor probably has something to do with this popcorn issue. I've figured out that if you turn the ignition screw too far out, or too far in, the car wont start, but once it's started, you can adjust it however you want to, and it will drive kinda. Although if you screw it too far out it will stall when you let off the clutch, and too far in and it wont go anywhere when you hit the gas.
I Called MSD support and the guy said 2 turns out is factory setting, I set it there, but it still pops on acceleration.

If anyone has any suggestions on where to look next for this popping problem, I'd love to hear it lol.

Here's some pics of what the car looks like now.

Stock suspension?

I cannot make out the manufacturer's name, anyone knownwho makes these?

Red is Intake, Blue is AIR pump, and yellow is some kinda custom mount fabricated to relocate the air pump from the front face of the engine, to directly in front of the intake. This was done at the same time of the air box delete, because you cannot put a stock air box in as the mount interferes with it's fitment. Additionally, the clip has been broken off the plug that goes into the air pump, because of the way it it fit in there, the plug would not go in unless the clip was broken.

Riller rocker arms underneath oil breather.

Missing alot that was on this car . To start I had a ATI procharger 9lb kit on her . Those fuel rails were polished , it had a custom throttle body cover , bigger throttlebody , also bigger fuel injectors because of the super charger. . And yes it is a 1995 1le camaro. Looks like **** now . Definitely not the rims I had on her , also had a Borla Exhaust , no cat , well it was there but punched out . There was the RPO codes in the glove box . Has a Hurst short throw shifter , duel friction centerfolds clutch, had 4:10 gearing . The pods down the pillar worked just fine . And all the sub frame connectors , control arms were Grantinelli , where's the strut tower brace ? I remember the day I purchased this car ...did it still have the drive shaft loop and the blast shield to guard you from a blow up on the tranny. It came stock with z28 decals . And yes the Super chevy plaque from 1996 was authentic, on the right side of the car under hood . And did you notice the hole under the carpet next to you right side were the center consol glove box is ? Hence the drive shaft loop and the protection part from grantinelli , I know everything about this car ,Sold this car in 1998 to a collector in Florida with 28,000 miles . It's a shame to see her like this .

Last edited by 2628; 02-21-2024 at 10:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Questions about 1995 1le z28???