Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Real 96 SLP Z28SS hood??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Real 96 SLP Z28SS hood??

I saw this low mileage 1996 Z28SS for sale (sold already) and just flipped through the pictures because it was well documented. The car definitely is a real Z28SS (numbers matching with paperwork), but the hood edge near the headlights looks a little thicker than some other 96-97 SS models. I have seen some real Z28SS with this thicker edge and most with a smoother edge. This car is low mileage, so it honestly just confuses the heck outta me. It seems like SLP had a lot of variation in these hoods; some say "Made in Canada" and some don't, some are engraved some aren't, and some have this thicker edge somehow. Fake ones are usually pretty easy to spot.

Did SLP have different OEM SS hood molds?

I appreciate any insight!

Old 03-11-2024, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Ttt
Old 03-12-2024, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 227 Likes on 182 Posts

Just speculation here since I'm nowhere near as familiar w/ the SLP conversions of 4th-gen SS Camaros as I am w/ ASC's conversions of WS6s, but it may be possible that SLP had more than one supplier of these hoods, or it may be simply production variations (especially if the edge of these parts are hand-finished on the line and variations like this would not be unusual between line operators). I suppose you can't rule out the possibility that this hood is not a factory original and was replaced due to a front-end collision (although, low likelihood of this since the car appears nearly pristine in these few photos).
Old 03-15-2024, 10:50 PM
Teching In

We may never know!!!

I appreciate the reply. ASC makes a solid SS hood from the ones I've seen. The underside looks completely different, but still a nice peice.

SLP may have had protype hoods that made it on to some of these cars or maybe they made some OEM aftermarket ones that were slightly different. Who knows lol these hoods are both easy and difficult to spot fakes.

Quick Reply: Real 96 SLP Z28SS hood??