Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Any update on GMMG Dick Harrell Supercars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Any update on GMMG Dick Harrell Supercars?

Last I knew (which is of around Oct.) only the prototype Teal car and a Red car have been built. I know all the cars were supposed to be built by last July or something but they were having issues w/the body panels. Anyone have an update on the status of this project?
Old 01-20-2005, 08:32 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dick Herrell Camaro info, Part 1

There isn't a whole lot of information available online about these (and most of the stuff is buried in posts on the Dick Herrell website). You may have seen all of this stuff before, but here's everything I found... Since there's not a lot (relatively speaking... pretty long posts ), thought I'd get it all collected in one place for ease of reference:

http://www.dickharrell.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1071284535 on Dec 12, 2003:
  • Matt Murphy of GMMG posts a photo of the plaque put under the hood of all the 427 Camaros they build: ' This 427 Camaro Was Built By GMMG In Honor Of The Original Mr. Chevrolet... "Dick Harrell" '

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/show...fpart/all/vc/1 on March 23, 2004:
  • Matt Murphy says "YES there will be other GMMG built cars in the near future, like a Corvette or GTO, but... I can't say right now... We are working on something and will announce it soon... hang in there, as it will be a Performance (Muscle) Package and something very unique..."

http://immortalscarclub.com/ipw-web/...lo/Picture_015 , date unknown:
  • 'J Solo' posts a photo of a red DH Camaro, the "first Dick Harrell car completed".

http://www.bergerchevy.com/berger5/p...stock=Harrell1 , date unknown:
  • Berger Chevrolet product page for the '2002 Chevy CAMARO Dick Harrell Special Edition', with a photo of the teal car. Prices start at $85,000. The page says to contact Dick Jacques at (616) 293-1850 for details.

http://www.dickharrell.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1086036445 on April 14, 2004:
  • Valerie Harrell posts a photo of the 30 Camaros waiting for the Harrell project, and three large computer renderings of the car design.
  • Matt Murphy says:
    A lot of people have asked me about the upgrades that GMMG is going to offer on these special Camaros and if they both are like the ZL1 package. The answer is yes, but with a few more GMMG options that we were not doing 18 months ago.

We have the base cars using the LS6 motor that the ZL1's came with to get through the emission requirements, as we recertified that package and have to use it as our base engine setup. It will again be rated at 400HP, but like the ZL1's, it is more like 430HP.

GMMG will be offering the Phase 2X package for these cars as we started offering that package in January of this year. It will be rated at 500HP and will basically include a seriously modified sets of LS6 heads and a more agressive cam shaft. All of the automatic cars will get an upgraded torque converter from YANK. There will be a race version cam and header setup that will be what we call our Phase 2X6R package and rated at 525HP. This is an off road package only.

For the serious HP and TQ nuts, like most of us Dale, we will be offering for the first time our Phase 3X package that will be rated around 630HP. The Automatic cars in this case will have to go with a new Transmission that GM is working on, for us, and it will be later available through GM Performance Parts. A new YANK Torque converter will come with these cars as well. So, you ask, what about a "R" race version for the 427's ??, we'll have that for customers to order as well. It will be in the 680HP range and will again be an Off Road package, as well, for the serious drag racers.

We will offer 12 bolt rear ends with these cars and again either 3:73, or 4:10, or 4:56 gears for the customers to choose. This new option will come standard with a drive shaft loop and a chromoloy drive shaft. Subframe connectors will be included in the base package. A new SPEC 4I clutch will be available as an option, as well as the all out SPEC 5 for the Phase 3XR cars.

Once the customer purchases the base package from Berger Chevrolet, we can then talk about GMMG options for their car. We will help each customer, option out your new Berger Supercar / Dick Harrell Edition Camaro to your own expectations.

These cars will run in the 10's fully optioned and lift the front wheels off the ground... a little testing never hurts...
  • Matt Murphy posts two photos of "an automatic Phase 3 car being tested at the track", and a 10.944-sec timeslip.
  • Matt Murphy says "These cars fully loaded will be in the $112,000.00 to $117,500.00 range depending on GM options."
  • Valerie Harrell posts a press release from April 29, 2004: ANATOMY OF THE DICK HARRELL EDITION SUPERCAR CAMARO, by Jon Asher. Excerpts:
    If you act quickly you could become one of the lucky 30 or so buyers of a brand new, never-been-driven 2002 Chevrolet Camaro, and not just any Camaro, but a very unique Dick Harrell Edition Supercar Camaro that could be powered by an all-aluminum Chevrolet C5R race engine that’s been modified for street use.

Sound impossible, or maybe just improbable? Well, thanks to a dedicated group of muscle car enthusiasts, which included engineers from Chevrolet, the design staff headed by Matt Murphy at GMMG, Incorporated of Marietta, Georgia, Matt Berger’s team at Berger Chevrolet of Detroit, Michigan, three-time IHRA Funny Car World Champion Dale Pulde and Harrell's daughter, Valerie.
    "When my dad began racing in Super Stock his interest in streetcars really blossomed, and he got more and more involved in that. It was his personal input that made a lot of those late Sixties, early Seventies Camaros so valuable to collectors. I honestly believe that it was more than just the cars themselves. The fact that Dick Harrell had a hand in their design increased their ‘credibility,’ if you will, with the hard-core streetcar enthusiasts. GMMG and Berger Chevrolet are going to rekindle that interest in customized, driveable street cars with Dick Harrell Edition Supercar Camaro.

"I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’ve already driven one of these cars and they’re nothing short of awesome. The power is impressive, the exhaust has a cool rumble to it and the cars are exceptionally good looking. I can’t wait to get my hands on one I can call my own."

Due to the limited availability of new Camaros, Berger and GMMG have assembled a fleet that includes Z28s, SS models and even a few B4C models, which is the police interceptor unit. After modifications the Dick Harrell Edition Supercar Camaros will be available with three different V8 powerplants. The Phase 1 and Phase 2 engines are based on the 346ci LS6 powerplants, producing, respectively, 400 and 500 horsepower. The top-of-the-line Phase 3 powerplant is a 427 cubic inch monster based on the LS1 GM race block, and is destined for 20 of the 30 cars to be built. This is the engine that, with the proper internals, is the fire-breathing C5R race engine pumping out 630HP.

Half of the cars that will become Dick Harrell Edition Supercars are already equipped with 6-speed manual transmissions, while the other half will be available with automatic transmissions that Chevrolet engineers are currently designing to handle the high-horsepower loads in street driving situations.

Naturally enough, when you add a ton of horsepower to a new car suspension, modifications aren’t just a good idea they’re mandatory. GMMG, Incorporated will have welded subframe connectors, Koni shocks and Eibach springs. New 34mm front sway bars are also utilized, along with new 1LE rear sway bars. The cars will be available with the vaunted 12-bolt rearend with a choice of 3.73:1, 4.10:1 or 4.56:1 gearing.

Interior changes include custom seat inserts of charcoal suede with "Mr. Chevrolet" stitching, while the dash includes silver faced gauges carrying the 1969 Dick Harrell logos instead of "idiot lights." The cars will carry stock Chevrolet colors, although any of the cars that came with original factory black paint can be customized to meet the buyer’s specifications. In addition the exteriors will carry special Dick Harrell-themed logos and lettering.

With just 30 of these cars to be made available, early ordering will be the key to getting your hands on one of these outrageous new Camaros. To get that process started, contact: Dale Pulde at Dalepulde@aol.com or Matt Murphy of GMMG, Inc. at (770) 592.6261.
  • She also posts the DICK HARRELL EDITION SUPERCAR CAMARO COMING THIS SUMMER press release which is excerpted later below.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/show...fpart/all/vc/1 on April 14, 2004:
  • Charley Lillard says "My understanding is there are less than 10 cars left."
  • Turbo_Jet (Daniel Traylor) says "Those look great! I think I see some influence from that new 427 powered Sunoco Camaro Chevrolet was showing awhile back."
  • Charley Lillard says "Yes those are the same type body panels. I think Chevrolet recommended and gave permission to copy the body panels. The Clay mockup model was done through GM at a outside source that they use. I think all the panel work was invoiced through GM. Alot of work to make those body panels but should be worth it when you see those 335 tires fitting under it."
  • Charley Lillard says "I think they are shooting for getting at least one finished and on Power Tour."
  • Belair62 says "The base package is 400HP LS6 motor and then there is a Phase 3, 427 - 600HP."
  • Stuart Adams says "Yep, 10 left. Love the green. Phase 1 $85K, Phase 3 approx. $25K add on. Awesome looking with the 335's in the rear."
Old 01-20-2005, 08:33 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Default Dick Herrell Camaro info, Part 2

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251697 on April 18, 2004:
  • Red Planet ('The Fbodfather', aka Scott Settlemire) says "Yes, we gave them permission... we're pleased that GMMG and Berger Chevy are going to do, I believe, 30 of these special Camaros. No, they will not be inexpensive... the special body panels alone are very expensive... However, in my last conversation with Matt Berger, he told me that 18 of the 30 were sold... and several deals working."
  • KrisH says "I know for a fact that it is basically the same body as the No. 6 Camaro which was built for the Woodward Dream Cruise. It had a paint scheme designed to look like the old Sunoco race Camaros."

http://www.dickharrell.com/ on April 19, 2004:
  • Press release: DICK HARRELL EDITION SUPERCARS from James R. Skivers (grandson of Elaine and Dick Harrell); excerpts:
    Our new Dick Harrell Edition Camaro will feature these very unique body panels that Chevrolet created for their Camaro and the C5R race motor will be available through GMMG, Inc. with approximately 630 HP and will run on pump gas.

We have been working with Scott Settlemire, John Heinricy, Randy Wittine, Kip Wasenko, Matt Berger, and Matt Murphy very closely over the past six months to get this project to this point of releasing it to you, our website members and enthusiasts. Later you will see photos of the prototype car at a GM Design studio in its clay stages, like all GM prototype vehicles go through. We are very excited to finally be able to release this information here first, and look forward to showing you more photos as they become available throughout the production of these Camaros. An official unveiling date is in the works and we are also looking at possibly delivering some of these 30 cars in Kansas City later this summer.
    In closing, we are finalizing the details of the Dick Harrell Edition Supercar by Berger Chevrolet & GMMG, Inc. There is no underestimating our uncontained excitement.
  • Photo of a teal Herrell Camaro

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254581 on April 26, 2004:
  • KrisH (Kristopher R. Horton) says he did the renderings from in-house build-up photos he was sent (he has a website for car renderings: http://www.carsbykris.com/ )
  • KrisH also says the spoilers, fenders, and front fascia are new and produced solely for the Dick Harrell car, and were based on the #6 Sonoco Camaro (which won the West Coast Trans-Am race in 1969: see http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep..._penske_69.htm ).

http://www.metalshapers.org/nitrogee...%20Release.htm on April 29, 2004:
  • Press release: DICK HARRELL EDITION SUPERCAR CAMARO COMING THIS SUMMER, By Jon Asher; excerpts:
    Well, for some 30 quick-acting car owners this summer’s cruising will be the most exhilarating of their lives, because they’ll be fortunate enough to be sitting behind the wheel of a brand new Dick Harrell Edition Supercar Camaro motivated by a choice of three different engines ranging in horsepower production from a low – and this is some "low" – of 400 horsepower to a fire-breathing high of 630HP. These all-aluminum powerplants run on pump gas and have proven to be, after extensive testing and development, extremely reliable in the street driving environment.

While the Camaro is no longer offered by Chevrolet, a small fleet of 30-plus brand new 2002 models has been secured by GMMG, Incorporated of Marietta, Georgia, which will completely rebuild the still-new cars and then offer them for sale exclusively through Berger Chevrolet of Detroit, Michigan.

The Dick Harrell Edition Supercar is the result of months of planning between Matt Murphy of GMMG, Matt Berger of Berger Chevrolet, a small group of enthusiastic General Motors engineers, the late Funny Car pioneer’s daughter, Valerie, and three-time IHRA Funny Car World Champion Dale Pulde.
    The new Dick Harrell Edition Supercar Camaros will be offered exclusively through Berger Chevrolet, with the first units to be showroom-ready by early this summer. While no formal pricing is yet available, Matt Berger says that "Our goal is to provide potential buyers with the ultimate street ride at a fair price. Believe me, I could list maybe 20 or 25 cars that are considered high performance by today’s standards, yet they can’t touch a Dick Harrell Edition Supercar Camaro in terms of performance, and costs thousands more. Simply put, the Dick Harrell Edition Supercar Camaro is the kind of car that only comes along once every three or four decades. I guess you could say it combines the kind of performance you’d get out of a Top Fuel dragster with the price you might pay for a mid-level performance car. We think that’s the ideal combination, and from the early response we’re getting from potential buyers, it looks like we’re headed in the right direction."

For additional information, contact: Dale Pulde at DalePulde@aol.com , or Matt Murphy of GMMG, Inc. call (770) 592-6261

http://www.dickharrell.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1084849350 on May 17, 2004:
  • Valerie Harrell says "I know for a fact that he [Matt Berger] will be attending the FBody Gathering in Atlanta, GA. May 28th - 30th, along with Scott Settlemier of GM Performance Division for the debut of the new 2002 Dick Harrell/Berger Supercar Camaro. Also, several of the Dick Harrell family members who turned the wrenches will also be in attendance for a signing of all 30 plus, cars."

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/show...fpart=all&vc=1 on May 23, 2004:
  • Gemleeus says the unveiling at the F-Body Gathering was on May 28 from 7-10pm.
  • Davenkc (Dave Libby) says "This weekend in Marietta GA is the unveiling of the Berger/ Dick Harrell edition supercar for all to see. The list of attendees is as follows as known to me. Matt Berger, Scott Settlemier, Elaine and Valerie Harrell, Dale Pulde, Harry and Shirley Kalwei, Larry Leatherman, James Zelany, Brad Melvin, Glenn and Collene Powell, the Host Matt Murphy of course, myself and my wife Norma. We should all be there most of Friday and if you should be there don't fail to walk up and introduce yourself. I for one will be glad to meet everybody who can make it there. This will be the largest gathering to date of the 'Dick Harrell people' and may never happen again that all the people mentioned will be together in one place at the same time."
  • Charley Lillard says he ordered the #1 of 30 Harrell Camaros, in Rally Green.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177040 on May 30, 2004:
  • DrEvyl posts eight photos of the teal Harrell car at the 8th F-Body Gathering in Atlanta.

http://www.bigboosting.com/forum/vie...d.php?tid=3055 on May 31, 2004:
  • Soccerbum21 posts a photo of the teal car at the F-Body Gathering, and says "check out the fender flares on the Dick Harrel Camaro. it has Fikse mesh wheels 18x12 in the rear and 18x11 in the front, a 660hp 427 under the hood, full cage, 6 speed, huge brakes, full body kit ..., and special badging. i think it is going to be for sale as a $122k car."

http://www.dickharrell.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1086037518 on May 31, 2004:
  • Valerie Harrell posts a thank-you to the people involved in the Harrell Camaro project.
  • Valerie Harrell posts 66 photos from GMMG and the unveiling on May 28, 2004 at the F-Body Gathering.
  • Valerie Harrell posts the Harrell supercar Package Contents and Custom Options detail sheets.
  • Tim Lopata posts one photo from the unveiling.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:35 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Default Dick Herrell Camaro info, Part 3

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedia-exchange/177712-new-gmmh-dick-harrell-commemorative-car.html on June 1, 2004:
  • Whitten (Michael Whitten) says "The wheels are Fikse's and if I am not mistaken are 18x10.5 in the rear and 17x 8.5 in the front. The engine is rated at 650, but there are going to be several packages offered that will rate power above and maybe even beyond 700 HP."
  • Whitten also says "The body panels are carbon fiber as you already may or may not know, but apparently there is to be an XR-3 package that will include full carbon fiber body panels all around, and a stripped out race ready interior."
  • Whitten also says "Yes their back lot had about 30 camaros left. They are all hard top either 1LE, police cars, or used cars with low mileage...not that it matters how much they have anyway. They had originally had another project in the works, but the deal fell through and they knew they had these 30 cars and a wide body kit to do, so... Dick Harrell came to mind and I can think of no better man to do a car after."
  • NOBR8KSS says:
    There will be a total of 32 Dick Harrell cars available for sale through Berger Chevrolet. There will be 2 additionals made (in case an Owner totals it). And then there is the prototype which was unveiled this past weekend at GMMG. I don't know who gets it...probably Chevrolet.

The wheels are Fikse Profil 13 ... get this ... 18x12 in the rear 18x11 in the front. Front wears 315 and the rears are 335.

This particular car was upgraded to the 427 ci engine. It has a nice lope to it.

Additionally, the body parts ARE NOT carbon fiber. I personally saw the next car being produced in the GMMG shop and the fender flares are made of sheet metal grafted onto the stock fender. The hood, rear spoiler, and front spoiler are fiberglass. There is quite a bit of bodywork to make these panels fit... especially around the doors.

Rear-end is a Moser 12-bolt. I don't know the gear ratio. Brakes were Corvette calipers, but appeareed to be f-body rotors.

Springs are the Eibach Pro-Kit...don't know about the shocks.

Interior had a 6-point cage, NICE leather and suede seats, and a Hurst shift ****...that's about it.

And yes, there were 34 cars out back that were destined to be Dick Harrell cars. All were Z-28s.
  • Whitten says:
    Hmm...weird I was under the impression that the fenders on the cars were to be carbon fiber, but maybe I miss heard Ron. At any rate I will have to read through Matt Murphy's post over at Dick Harrell to get more info, or just ask one of the guys. I was asking at the unveiling just before the event started, and I think everyone was anxious and nervous. Beautiful car none the less, and I thought it was cool that they had another car back in the paint booth that was awaiting fitment. They have their hands full with this project, especially with the fitment issues that they had on the prototype. The body guy said the first panels they baked were really weak and brittle, what makes the process slower is that they have to reuse the molds over and over again. I think that with time and more testing the panels will start comming together like greased cat ...hole.
  • BadAndy says: "The hood on the Prototype is definetly Carbon Fiber, as well as several other panels. This is not the standard producton material, although I think they will all have the CF hood. The motor in that car was rated at 650, and I saw its dyno sheet resulting in 530-something rwhp. The car sounds great, and word to the wise: those 335s are no where near enough to hold that thing down. Thats a lotta rubber to be burning."
  • Redrumss says: "Rims are 18x12's in the back 18x10's in the front. I am in several of those pics and so is my wife... 630 h.p. ...quite impressive as it tooled around the Marriot Hotel parking lot at 2 a.m."
  • Redrumss says regarding price, the Stage III cars cost $122,000.
  • Erok01 says "i saw this thing at the stl stop of the power tour. they had it on the 1/4 strip. the thing couldn't hook to save its soul, and it still pulled a 12 sec flat run. And I mean it was all over the place in first gear. I dont remember the '60 times but im pretty sure they were mid 2's."
  • jruss says "dude i saw that in person at hot rod power tour kickoff in arlington"
  • Whitten says "I know one of the guys that builds the cars...well several of them, and the bench mark for the cars is to be mid 10's on motor. I think with a good driver, and a set of slicks that is way more than doable. With that wide body kit you squeeze alot wider rubber under the fender than normal. The ZL-1's are capable of doing low 11's if you were able to make them hook, but there again traction and driver are the key."
  • Stangkilr says "Seen this car in person and its is badass!!! Almost got a ride in it but I got tired of waiting."
  • Cammin BeaSSt (aka Ron at GMMG) says:
    Just to clarify a few points here... A total of 30 cars will be produced PLUS 2 prototypes.

The body panels are NOT steel or metal. The hood/gas cap are carbon fiber and the rest of the body is fiberglass. All panels bolt in place like stock with the exception of the rear quarters which require bonding and filling.

Rear end is a STRANGE unit which is optional on these cars.

Springs are not ProKit, they are a GMMG specific part # which is not available to the public.

There are 30 cars out back waiting to be transformed. Some WERE SSs etc etc, but all will be DH cars soon. BTW, all cars are NEW. Berger ordered 30 cars when the project was started.

BTW, As for the times, It was nothing impressive to say the least. 12.0@121 mph on a 2.42 60ft. I was swinging the *** end around all the way through 3rd gear on street tires. Our last ZL1 went 10.94@125 on ET Streets, so we will have results of the DH car VERY SOON
  • Tim Lopata posts a photo of the teal car in the GMMG shop, and says "Anyone that might be interested in viewing this car up close can see it Oct. 16-17 at THE FORGE MUSCLECAR SHOW in Pigeon Forge Tn. inside the Grand Hotel Convention Center."

http://www.dickharrell.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1086318475 on June 3, 2004:
  • Valerie Harrell says "For those of you who missed the debut of GMMG's 2002 Dick Harrell Edition Berger Supercar this past Memorial Day weekend, you will have another chance to check out this beautiful Camaro on the Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour cruise." and posts a schedule of appearances:
    Look for the Tripoli Turquoise 2002 Dick Harrell Edition Camaro at the Official Dates and Locations below:

Saturday June 5 - Arlington, Texas
    Sunday, June 6 - Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Monday, June 7 - Springfield, Missouri
    Tuesday, June 8 - St. Louis, Missouri
    Wednesday, June 9 - Davenport, Iowa
    Thursday, June 10 - Chicago, Illinois
    Friday, June 11 - Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • She also posts a photo from the F-Body Gathering debut.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/180527-rk-sport-spoiler.html on June 9, 2004:
  • Whitten says the Harrell spoiler is similar to the RK Sport 5-inch spoiler, and posts a photo of the teal car (from dickharrell.com).

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181169 on June 10, 2004 (photos taken on June 5, 2004):
  • Jruss posts Hot Rod Power Tour photos, including two of the teal Harrell Camaro.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/show...b=5&o=&fpart=1 on June 10, 2004:
  • sYcYenko (aka 'Capt. Carl') writes about the Dick Harrel Camaro's appearance at the Hot Rod Power Tour stop in Davenport, IA on June 9, 2004.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:37 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Default Dick Herrell Camaro info, Part 4

Photos of the teal car in Sheboygan, WI at Route 43 Harley Davidson, on its way to Lambeau Field in Green Bay, WI during the 2004 Hot Rod Power Tour; posted by 'Chevy Boys' (aka Bill) on June 25 2004 (photos taken on June 11, 2004) :
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/181177-power-tour-pics-up.html on June 11, 2004:
  • 'Xsta Z 28' says "That [DH Camaro] built for the low low price of $122,000... Gorgeous car - painful price. It is PR-2 (prototype) built for Matt Murpy of GMMG. C5R 427, Phase 3X with 630 hp!"
  • Jruss says "Yes, sticker on it was 122k, man its hooked though- fikse wheels, roll bar, 427, 12 bolt, diff paint, etc. the engine option alone was 25k!!"

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/181944-pics-hot-rod-power-tour-2004-a.html on June 13, 2004:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/182409-those-gmmg.html on June 15, 2004:
  • Whitten says the Dick Harrell Camaros will have oval tips on their GMMG exhausts, like as the ZL1 Camaros have.

http://www.gmmginc.net/ , date unknown (guessing June 2004 after the Power Tour):
  • 5 cgi-rendered images (1 full-size and 4 cropped) of the 'Berger Supercar Dick Herrell Edition'
  • 'On The Road' schedule of appearances, presumably from 2004:
    • York US 30 Car Show - July 9-10 in York, PA
    • Funny Car Reunion - July 24-25 in Englishtown, NJ
    • Fred Gibb Show - August 6-7 in LaHarpe, IL
    • Berger Chevy Show - Sept 3-5 in Grand Rapids, MI
    • F-Body Celebration - Sept 16-19 in Bowling Green, KY
    • The Forge Muscle Car Show - Oct 16-17 in Pigeon Forge, TN

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedia-exchange/189790-any-good-zl1-pics.html on July 6, 2004:
  • 770boy posts two photos of the teal Harrell Camaro.

http://www.rabbitstoys.com/yabbse/in...;start=msg5665 on July 8, 2004 (photos taken July 1, 2004):
  • Wabbit posts photos from the GMMG shop, including the Camaros waiting on the back lot to be made into the Dick Harrell supercars. They all have their numbers out of 30 on the windshield in shoe-polish, such as 'DH-23' (which has a close-up).
  • He also says that at that time, GMMG had not started building any of the Harrell cars (aside from the prototypes on tour, of course).

http://www.dickharrell.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1090434075 on July 21, 2004:
  • Dave Libby posts a scan of a short article about the Harrell Camaro from the October 2004 issue of GM High Tech Performance magazine.

http://www.dickharrell.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1090626982 on July 23, 2004:
  • Matt Murphy posts a bunch of photos of the teal car:
    • 3 photos at the 3rd annual York US 30 Muscle Car show, on July 9 and 10.
    • 4 photos at the GM Nationals in Carlisle, PA, taken on June 19.
    • 3 photos at the GM Eyes on Design Show at the Edsel Ford Estate in Michigan, on June 26 and 27.
    • 4 photos at the Camaro Superfest in Ann Arbor, MI, on July 2, 3, and 4.
    • 5 photos at the Chicago, IL stop on the Power Tour, on June 10, including one with "GM Designer Kip Wasenko... he helped with the design and clay work on this Camaro project as well as designing the original GM wide body Camaro".
    • 2 photos at the Davenport, IA stop on the Power Tour, on June 9.
    • 3 photos at the Arlington, TX stop on the Power Tour, on June 5.

http://www.dickharrell.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1090650727 on July 24, 2004:
  • 'Behind the Scenes' photos from Matt Murphy of 427ci engine assembly work at the GMMG Engine Shop in Charlotte, NC (photo apparently taken on March 28, 2003)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/198237-wtf-these.html on July 28, 2004:
  • 'Sweet Cheeks' says "They are fast, I saw a Teal one a few months back on the power tour!"
  • Ryan04Silverado says "You guys should try to read the article in this months Popular Hot Rodding. Sheds a lot of light on everything."
  • Whitten posts one of the teal car photos from the Dick Harrell board, and says "It is a special edition car that they are going to build 33 of in total. It is called the Dick Harrell car in celebration of not only one of Chevy's prolific racers, but also one of the fore fathers of Drag racing as whole. ... They will start at 80,000 and work there way up from there. If you are interested in one, when I was at the unveiling Matt Berger of Berger chevy who will be selling them told me they still have three left...but that was way back in may."
  • Whitten says in regard to Chevy using that teal color, "They did back in 1968... it is called Tripoli turquoise."
  • Whitten says "There will be 33 after both of the PR cars are made; one you have already seen the other is the car that they test fit the kit to first. And then aparently there will the third PR car that will more than likely go to Vallerie Harrell. $80,000 for the base model, and the upper will be in the 130,000 range. Options for the uppermost will be something like full race ready and prepped. Heard talk from a couple of the guys saying something about full carbon fiber body panels. Striped interior, built A4, and some other goodies."
  • SmokinWS6 (aka Josh) says "Its a beautiful car, I saw the teal one on the Power Tour, it sounds as good as it looks too with its 427."
Old 01-20-2005, 08:39 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Default Dick Herrell Camaro info, Part 5

http://www.dickharrell.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1091667093 on August 5, 2004:
  • Dale Pulde says regarding possibility of body-kits being sold, "At this point it would be not in the best intrest of the project to offer these body components. These cars are One of a kind and only 30 to be built plus 2 prototypes. It would be detrimental to the project and unfair to the fine owners of these cars to encourage clones. There is also a leagal binding contract stating that the parts will not be sold."

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=20 on August 12, 2004:
  • Whitten posts 3 photos from dickharrell.com of the teal car, including one of the specs/logo sticker on the air lid.

http://www.dickharrell.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1091758326 on August 21, 2004:
  • Valerie Harrell gives contact information for Matt K. Murphy Jr. at GMMG, saying he can give "more in depth details" on the Dick Harrell 2002 Camaros. (including email address gmmginc4@aol.com and work phone number 770-592-6261)
  • She also says "There are 3 packages that are being offered. Phase I, II, III." (Each with different price levels.)
  • And she says "I believe there are 8 cars remaining out of 30."

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/211121-anyone-see-rides-last-night.html on September 1, 2004:
  • Whitten says the Dick Harrell Camaro was visible in the episode of 'Rides' which first aired on August 31, 2004, covering the 2004 Hot Rod Power Tour.

http://www.dickharrell.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1094075978 on September 1, 2004:
  • Keith Lewis posts photos of the Harrell car article and cover photo from the October 2004 issue of Chevy High Performance magazine.
  • Tim Lopata posts a photo of the Harrell car article from the October 2004 issue of Muscle Car Enthusiast magazine.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet-camaro-1967-2002/212440-video-audio-gmmg-dick-harrell-427-a.html on September 4, 2004:
  • Mr1970Chevelle posts three videos of the Harrell Camaro being moved around at the 5th Berger Chevrolet 'All Chevy' Show.
  • TTExpreSS says "chevhighperf had an article on that and said the fenders will not be reproduced. dont quote me but i think they said that the original molds have been destroyed. I got the idea they said that to stem the requests for copies."
  • Pimpmaro says "You can only get those on the Dick Harrell car... AFAIK no fender flare kits are being produced, nor will they be produced."
  • MartZ (Marty) says "That Red Dick Harrell Camaro is my uncle's car. We were supposed to be able to bring home after the Berger show, but the car was not quite finished. My uncle should "officially" take delivery sometime next week. He has been waiting for well over a year to get the car. It was scheduled to be delivered last June for the kickoff of the Hot Rod Power Tour in Texas. My uncle chose not to drive at the Berger show. He wants to get the car home to more familiar surroundings. It is truly an awesome sounding/looking car."

http://www.dickharrell.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1092074736 on September 15, 2004:
  • Dale Pulde talks about the Funny Car Nationals in St. Louis. "There were 2 cars there that her father drove along with the 2002 Dick Harrell tribute car from Berger Chevrolet and GMMG."

http://www.dickharrell.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1095444898 on September 17, 2004:
  • 'Chevy Boys' posts a photo of "the guys that build the Dick Harrell Wide Body Camaros ... Mike Carnahan, Ron Mowen, Buddy Daniell".
  • Matt Murphy posts a photo of two red Harrell Camaros: "The car here is #5 which belongs to Orland Koppes of Madison, WI and next to it is car # 27 which belongs to Vic Edelbrock".

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/220443-dick-harrell-body-mods.html on September 27, 2004:
  • 2002yroneformula says regarding the price of the Harrells, "The cars as far as I know are about the same as the ZL-1's were. I know the prototype was at a total of $128k."

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/221471-front-end-flows-cowl-hood.html on September 29, 2004:
  • JackZ28 says "That's the Dick Harrell limited edition built by Berger Chevrolet. They are all sold out from what I heard. Look in the October edition of Hot Rod magazine!" and posts two photos of the magazine.
  • Culo187 posts an email from Berger about the cars:
    The cars all come with 400hp standard. Then from there they go up to a stage 2 which I believe is 475 or 495hp then you can go to a stage 3 at 630hp depending on how much you wish to spend. They are all hard tops or t-tops no convertables, the chassy could not handle the torque in a convertable. We still have 8 available and I know we have red and black left but not sure of any other colors. Do you have the latest copy of CHEVY HIGH PERFORMANCE? That has a 6 page spread on the car. If you dont have one send me your address and i`ll put one in the mail this afternoon. If you have any other questions or if I can be of further assistance to you please let me know.

Stage 1 starts out at $85k and I believe stage 2 is $98k and stage 3 is $115k. I`m pretty sure those figures are close, but when Mr Jacques returns i`ll check with him and let you know the correct figures. If you need anything else please let me know i will do what ever i can to be of assistance to you.

http://www.dickharrell.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1098084896 on October 18, 2004:
  • Valerie Herrell posts scans of an article about the Dick Harrell cars from the Fall 2004 issue of Camaro Performers Magazine.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/224266-widebody-sunoco-camaro.html on October 10, 2004:
  • JackZ28 says "Berger still has a green one for sale! I wish I had an extra $85,000 to spend. It's probably just the Stage I, but man what a looker!"

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....96&postcount=7 on November 8, 2004:
  • Rabbit (Scott Abbott) posts a photo of the red Harrell Camaro at The Forge show from Oct 16-17.

http://69.94.82.218/forum/showthread.php?t=16 on November 24, 2004:
  • Matt Murphy posts two photos (unfortunately only viewable by registered members) of "the new DH Camaro at the Chevy Vettefest last weekend in Chicago".
  • Glenn Powell says "And It was a BLAST to drive!"
  • Dale Pulde says "Glenn had a nice smile on his face as did the others who had the chance to just putt around. Just the sound of it will get your blood flowing. I thought Porterfields 69 car sounded pretty good when Ray Sullins was playing in it, and that I believe is a big inch motor. The 02 sounds everybit as good,AND you can drive it on the street. I commend Matt and his guys for a nice hot rod."

http://69.94.82.218/forum/showthread.php?t=73 on December 15, 2004:
  • Matt Murphy says "I got the February 2005 issue of Chevy High Performance magazine today, and the 2002 Dick Harrell Edition Camaro is covering the centerfold again in a great two page photo. It is also the centerfold of their 2005 Calendar (as well as being picked as one of their top 10 cars for the year 2002). All the others car photos are one page little shots, while the DH Camaro is almost a feature in the center of their calendar." and posts 5 scans of the article pages (unfortunately viewable only by registered users).
  • Dave Libby says "If you find yourself anywhere near Atlanta GA, make it a point to get over to Marietta and take a look at GMMG (they are in the phonebook). The GMMG/ Berger/ DH Camaro is worth the time it takes, that car is unlike any other you will ever see or hear. To ride in it is a treat you will not soon forget and it is beautiful to boot!"
  • 'RPO_ZL2_SPCL_DUCTD' (aka Bob) says "For sure I'm going to see "CHEVY BOYS" #25 red coupe when it comes within 30 miles of here. Bill assures me the earth will rumble..."
  • 1968L35SS (aka Bill) says "I just picked up the Fall issue of Camaro Performers and it has a good article on the New Camaro."

http://69.94.82.218/forum/showthread.php?t=93 on December 24, 2004:
  • Tim Lopata says "the 2002 DH camaro recieved a mention in Feb 2005 Old Cars Price Guide from our show [The Forge]" and posts what is probably an image of the article (unfortunately, viewable only to registered members).

~end~
Old 01-20-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Wow, thanks. So the teal one and the red one are still the only 2 done so far. Not really any new news then.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi Brian,

Yeah, the only two that I know of is the PR-1 Tripoli Tourquoise car that everyone has seen on the power tour last year and Orlie's <sp> red one that was "Delivered" at the Berger Show last Labor day. But the Red one went right back to GMMG to be "detailed" and then set out for the magazine shoot so I don't know if Orlie has the car or not. I do not believe any more have been delivered.

I heard that Vic Edelbrock has ordered an Edelbrock Red one while on the Power Tour and new club member Jerry Noonan <sp> from NJ told us at the Berger show that he has one on order but no expected delivery date.

No matter what the problems are the GMMG guys are some of the best around and I'm sure they are on top it and they will get these cars built so we can all drool over them.

Last edited by SS LS1; 01-29-2005 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

WHOOPS SORRY THE PIC KINDA GOT TO ME MY'BAD ...................
Old 01-30-2005, 10:03 AM
screamin chicken

very nice, I was lucky to get up close to see the car at the F-body Gathering in Atlanta last May, along with alot of other GMMG cars.It's worth the 5 hr drive once a year to go to the F-body gathering.........
Old 01-30-2005, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Here's what I have for pictures!

Name:  9415060-R1-043-20.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  38.5 KB

Name:  7128790-R1-023-10.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  39.6 KB

Name:  7128790-R1-021-9.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  7128790-R1-019-8.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  48.3 KB

Name:  7128790-R1-017-7.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  48.8 KB

Old 01-30-2005, 10:53 PM
Banned

well last time i was in gmmg's shop they had about 5 or 6 that were done with the body work for the most part. stripped interior and awaiting the 427. one of them was ordered by dale earnhardt jr
Old 06-21-2005, 01:39 AM
Launching!

Wow it is so wierd to see my name in this post concerning info on this car...I can't even remember how many threads I talked about it in I was so excited...I even went back and found the pic of me and Matt Berger and Scott Settlemire (off Camera) talking.
That is Me on the bottom in the Super Chevy Shirt and Auburn hat and Matt Berger in the yellow.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

They had about 4 or 5 that were done at the Gathering this year. I'll post the pics later on.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Cool, I'd like to see some pics. I saw Edelbrock had one on the Power Tour this year. My buddy was gonna take his on the Power Tour but from Madison to Milwaukee the rear tire was rubbing the fender so bad it wore a hole in it so he brought it home & grabbed one of his Vipers instead.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you missed G9, here are a few more pics from the GMMG Tour this year.
Attached Images      
Old 06-24-2005, 10:34 PM
Banned

the orange one would me Mr. Earnhardt Jr's
Old 06-24-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, for it taking so long. Here's what I've got.....

And here's a short video clip I got as well.......

Click here to see Video
Old 06-25-2005, 06:58 AM
Staging Lane

Mr. Earnhardt you are a very, very lucky man. That orange one is calling me to come drive it.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:35 AM
Launching!

That looked like Ron driving that car.

Quick Reply: Any update on GMMG Dick Harrell Supercars?