Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

ZL1 Camaro on Ebay for $830k+

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 03:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spdmini
You are just mad b/c you dont have the cheese.

beotych, i have THREE of these cars in my garage. they got old so i melted them down and made them into something more productive..... rubix cubes.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to laugh my a@@ off when the bubble bursts in the collector car market. I can't wait to see that car come back down to the price its really worth(less than 150k IMO). For crying out loud, its a Camaro, and there were hundreds of thousands of other cars built that year with the exact same sheetmetal. Its not like you are bidding on a Ferrari 275 GTB/4, or some other exotic, where less than 400 of them were made. Same thing goes for the Hemi Cuda Convertible. Sure it might be a one of one car as far as the options go, but there tens of thousands of Cuda's made that year.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:53 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

There isn't a ******* Camaro on the PLANET worth even half that much money IMO.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by badjuju342
You're not just buying a car , you're buying a serious piece of American history. Car collectors are a lot like you guys. They have a passion for owning unique and rare cars like everyone here has a passion for going fast. They also have the money to spend on the car and preserve it the way it should be. That ribbon is like winning an NHRA championship to them. Nothing wrong with that in itself.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:11 AM
Launching!

badjuju342
You're not just buying a car , you're buying a serious piece of American history.......

to each his own i guess....but thats about as lame as stamp collecting.

(disclaimer, to each his own).

but at least i get to use my car. that thing will never see rain, or the outside of a trailer for more than a few hours. for what?
Old 08-23-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would never buy a car I didn't intend to drive. Even if I had that Ferrari 275 GTB/4, I would drive it every time the sun is shining.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:51 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by AronZ28
I am going to laugh my a@@ off when the bubble bursts in the collector car market. I can't wait to see that car come back down to the price its really worth(less than 150k IMO). For crying out loud, its a Camaro, and there were hundreds of thousands of other cars built that year with the exact same sheetmetal. Its not like you are bidding on a Ferrari 275 GTB/4, or some other exotic, where less than 400 of them were made. Same thing goes for the Hemi Cuda Convertible. Sure it might be a one of one car as far as the options go, but there tens of thousands of Cuda's made that year.
The market will stabilize or plunge somewhat, it always does. But if the public pays, what does the buyer do?? Say no?? I sure as hell wouldn't. That's like advertising your car for fair market value when you know you can get more. So in essence you're throwing money away if you don't mark it higher.
This rule unfortunately applies to a lot more than just the car market. I agree, that much money for a car that will never get driven is a little absurd, but I can't tell you the # of people I see on a daily basis around my workplace that love looking at low mileage, unrestored or rare cars. Because once we take them and beat them up and then they can't be replaced, people can only "dream" about what they were, looked like, etc.
Again, I beat on my cars because I enjoy the experience, but when you see a completely stock car that's low mileage, unrestored or rare, there's always people wanting to see it, and usually an award or trophy given, as opposed to your daily driver or race car that may not draw as big a crowd or take home an award.
And that's why we all are a little different, because there are lots of ways to enjoy your car (racing, cruises, shows, storage, restorations, chops, etc).

Okay, again just my $.02, I'll step down now....

Derek
Old 08-23-2005, 02:50 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The fact is you guys are looking at them as cars and not as artwork. No one can tell me the Mona Lisa is worth the multi millions of dollars that it is supposedly worth but since it is well known, and only one of them, there is a certain exclusivity that brings top dollar.

Same thing with rare muscle cars. Many of the people that purchase them don't even drive them. They get put into a museum or garage to be looked at and admired as artwork.

The value is purely intrinsic meaning it's worth what people are willing to pay.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:57 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Villain281H
The market will stabilize or plunge somewhat, it always does. But if the public pays, what does the buyer do?? Say no?? I sure as hell wouldn't. That's like advertising your car for fair market value when you know you can get more. So in essence you're throwing money away if you don't mark it higher.
This rule unfortunately applies to a lot more than just the car market. I agree, that much money for a car that will never get driven is a little absurd, but I can't tell you the # of people I see on a daily basis around my workplace that love looking at low mileage, unrestored or rare cars. Because once we take them and beat them up and then they can't be replaced, people can only "dream" about what they were, looked like, etc.
Again, I beat on my cars because I enjoy the experience, but when you see a completely stock car that's low mileage, unrestored or rare, there's always people wanting to see it, and usually an award or trophy given, as opposed to your daily driver or race car that may not draw as big a crowd or take home an award.
And that's why we all are a little different, because there are lots of ways to enjoy your car (racing, cruises, shows, storage, restorations, chops, etc).

Okay, again just my $.02, I'll step down now....

Derek
Put that way.... I totally understand...

I know how I felt the first time I sat in a Trans Am in the dealership back in 2000. It was such a cool feeling and sold me on the car. Now, compare that to people who may be a few years older and were able to sit in 69 Camaro in the showroom back in 69. I'm sure it brings back great memories like a time machine. Now can you put a specific price on that.... that's to be determined.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

....and its still an old boat.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by surfnaked
....and its still an old boat.

it is faster then your 11 second rides homeslice
Old 08-23-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BigBronco

It just seems like people don't understand what cars like that are all about.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:55 PM
10 Second Club

What a rare musclecar. I still have an old reprint of a mag article where they tested one.
Still as much as I love old muscle cars, prices these days are absolutely ridiculous.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

There were only 69 made, and how many do you think are actually still on the road, or NOT rotting in a junkyard somewhere, if not crushed??? It is perfectly reasonable to expect that kind of money for a numbers matching car.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:24 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigBronco
Exactly! Well properly driven/raced that is...

Originally Posted by JackZ28
There were only 69 made, and how many do you think are actually still on the road, or NOT rotting in a junkyard somewhere, if not crushed??? It is perfectly reasonable to expect that kind of money for a numbers matching car.
Yep, an excellent point....
Old 08-24-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Eh, I still don't buy into the exclusivety argument. Sure it might be rare in the way it was optioned, but at the end of the day, its another Camaro that looks similar to the other hundreds of thousands that rolled off the assembly line that year. I will give it credit that the car is badass, and the high water mark for a muscle car though. The fact still remains that if you only get a quick glimpse at a car show, or driving down the street, you'll think its just a really nice 1969 Camaro. Its different when you are talking about an Italian exotic where less than 300 were made. You know that 275GTB/4 is something special from a mile away.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Veteran

I agree that it's expensive as *****, but the bottom line is that people are willing to throw down those kinds of bills, so until they stop, it's going to continue.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:05 AM
TECH Regular

I can't access eBay at work but does he have the VIN listed. Check it against this list:

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/show...00/an/0/page/0

BTW most of these cars were totally ragged (tubbed, stripped etc) out for racing so very few are left and even fewer with number matching drivetrain.

On a side note, being the poor grassroots guy that I am it makes me sick to see the value of these cars raising to stupid levels. Now every **** head that has a 69 Camaro base model rotting away and holding up a fence post on his back 40 think they hit the motherload.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

I think that its great that car is bringing that kinda money. In that condition it is definitely more rare than a flawless diamond and observe what idiots males pay for those!
Think about it if you were a car collecting bilionaire wouldnt this be a nice piece to add to the collection. I could drink a twelve pack and just stare at that thing for hours.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:16 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by AronZ28
Eh, I still don't buy into the exclusivety argument. Sure it might be rare in the way it was optioned, but at the end of the day, its another Camaro that looks similar to the other hundreds of thousands that rolled off the assembly line that year. I will give it credit that the car is badass, and the high water mark for a muscle car though. The fact still remains that if you only get a quick glimpse at a car show, or driving down the street, you'll think its just a really nice 1969 Camaro. Its different when you are talking about an Italian exotic where less than 300 were made. You know that 275GTB/4 is something special from a mile away.
Back to the Mona Lisa argument.... there are millions of portraits of women painted by millions of different painters... what makes one worth more than another???? ANSWER: Demand, exclusivity and recognition. Same thing with cars. Everyone knows about ZL1 Camaros as well as HEMI Cudas and the more rare, the more the value.

Quick Reply: ZL1 Camaro on Ebay for $830k+